Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#78 · (Edited)
People's definition of expedition rig varies. For some it is a vehicle that can be lived in for months at a time, universal enough to get parts all over the world, completely self-suficiant while traveling long distances in remote areas. For others it is a roof rack, some Jerry cans and camping gear in the family SUV for a weekend outing.

Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I don't mind sleeping in a convential tent or roof tent. I would like a Engel frig so I can bring ice cream and some steaks along. An on-board shower is nice to have. I tend to rough-it more, but I don't travel out of country. Down Baja or north to the Arctic circle would be as far as I wish to travel. Mosty it is bouncing around the western states checking out remote, forgotten areas. For me there is so much unseen close by I can't justify traveling further yet.

I think the big difference between expo rigs and wheelers is that expo rigs form a better balance between off-road ability and long distance drivability, while adding options that make them better suited to remote unassisted travel. Most "wheelers" I run with pack a sandwich and a cooler of beer for the weekend. The Expo guys I have run with have milder rigs, a frig or good cooler, GPS, laptop and mapping software, a CB and Ham radio, food for a week or more in the rig, dutch ovens, higher quality tents, clothing, and sleeping gear, etc. etc.

#81 ·
I really like this new forum. My rig is pretty weak, but I would really like to add a camper with some sort of bed, tool storage etc soon. My 'expeditions' only really consist of exploring Colorado for a few weeks out of the year.

Mods only include, 9000lb winch, full navigation, Edge programmer, 2" Bilsteins, and some BFGs.

#82 ·
I'll bite.

'74 88" Land Rover
OM616 Mercedes diesel
Toyota e-lockers and 30-spline axles
Power steering
Etc., etc.

Done the Rockies with it from the Canadian border to Durango Colorado. Been to Newfoundland and Labrador. Did James Bay and the Trans-Taiga out to Caniapiscau this past summer.

Currently building a '67 109
OM617 Mercedes diesel
NP435 tranny
HR Series transfer case
Toyota e-lockers and 30-spline axles
Etc., etc.

jim

#84 ·
As always Jim...AWESOME WORK

#85 · (Edited)
Here's mine. It's a '92 Explorer with lockers, a mild lift and some upgrades to the transmission. I've taken it to Alaska (stock), Utah, California, Washington, and British Columbia. Some trips two or three weeks long, sometimes pulling a trailer and it has never been trailered in the 11 years I've owned it. Nothing fancy but it's comfortable, reliable and inexpensive to operate. It's taken me everywhere I've wanted to go and carried all my gear inside safe and dry. I haven't really driven it for a couple of years but I plan to get it back on the road this summer.

This post has been deleted
#87 · (Edited)
Some very well set up rigs in here:smokin:

Mine is slowly getting going.

07 Chevy 2500 hd classic. 79 hp ford front with Chevy outers, cross over, ford style cage radious arms and coils.14 bolt rear, locked with factory disk brakes. 6.0 engine, 2wd 4l80e trans, divorced ford 205 twin sticked t-case. The advantage of keeping the 2wd trans is the availability o them and price verse the 4wd version. This also allowed me to bypass having to use a factory chain driven computer controlled t-case and the issue I would have had with the V.S.S. if I were to swap to a 205 or stak/atlas or other. My front and rear driveshafts are also the same and full slip with just 1 in difference between the front and rear. I can carry just one spare stub shaft, and one spare drive shaft since the front acts as a back up spare for the rear.

4.56 gears with llr16 michelin xls and a 34 gallon tank. A.R.E. aluminum utility shell insulated with open access on one side and storage on another. Also have a roll out bed rack. Since I run a fire extinguisher business I also carry on board n20 and air tools should I need them.

The truck is bare bones, no power windows, door locks etc..hell it does not even have a seat belt or door chime:grinpimp:

Future plans are to build a false floor at top of the wheel well height and use the roll out bed for storage of tools, supplies, gear and spares. A well built roof rack and more fuel capacity is a must. I want to build a rear bumper and redo the front bumper and have a recessed winch as well. Other plans are to cut out the rockers and integrate 250 wall 2x6 in a factory looking set up to act as a buffer.

Next up is the cage and mounting the corbeau suspension seats and tearing into the 6.0 with heads/cam/headers/high flow cats and trying to mount an xj snorkel on it.

I do feel its tall but I lik the skinny tucked tires and they are stong as well. I may look into a 40 inch tire though.

far from done, but for just a year old I am trying to break her in slow.. :evil:

When I want to explore and go camping or long trips with some moderate wheeling I want to have a rig that is sealed up to do it in and sleep off the ground as well. Other than that it is my extra work truck, 4x4 rig and used to tow the buggy.

holy nosebleed batman...what is that, like 12 inches of lift?

#93 ·
Well here is mine, building it to take me to wherever i want and drive it the next day to school and work.

1997 Toyota 4runner
3 inch Toytec Lift
Trail Gear Rock Sliders
Maxxis Bighorn 255/85-r16
My Bling AMP wheels, yes they are scratched now :crybaby2:
Cobra 25 nw/ firestik 5ft antenna
KC Daylighters

Mall Crawler Pic for good measure lol... i got bored the other night so i went to the school to see wat there is to do :smokin:

Bumpers, skidplates, rollbar, and lockers are soon to come :grinpimp:

#95 · (Edited)
Jim, thats a great looking rover.
There is nothing like a Land Rover to say "Expedition Rig"
Thanks, Jim. You've got a couple of cool rigs yourself. I really like the van. Cool and practical option that you don't see very often.

I'm in the middle of another Land Rover build right now. '67 109 that's getting a Benz 617 turbo, NP435, Toyota centers, etc. Should be done by the end of the summer. First big trip is probably going to be up to Newfoundland and Labrador but this truck will get to Alaska some time in the next couple years. I'll buy you a beer when I get there.

Jim

#104 ·
90 2dr xj
rebuilt engine
96 30-40le transmission
96 driveshafts and LS rear axle
straight through exhaust
bosch injectors out of 94 volvo 960
high output fuel pump
skyjacker shocks
got rid of the carpet
hella driving lights
extra trans cooler
added a electric fan to go with the manual one
home built bumper that is a bit too heavy
wheel spacers 1.5 in per side
32x11.5 bfg at
heavy duty cross over steering
switches for shifting and tc lock up
home made 3" lift
k&n
corvette diesel oil filter with higher bypass psi
home made rear diff guard
sawed out fenders
got rid of both the sway bars

lots of little things mostly. I need to make a roof rack so I can get some of the crap out of the back. I going to build something bigger for expedition type stuff, a wagoneer or j10 I think. Then make this more of a toy or something it get really bad mileage in town I think it's partially the gearing 3.55s.

#106 ·
1997 Hilux, 2.4D
Wheel &tire 31" MT/R
Custom made 1.5" longer then stock springs with 3" lift.
Bilstein 5150 rear & Tough-Dog HD front shocks.
Sway-bar disconnect,
Custom made Front winch bumper & rear.
Home made Rock rails.
Home-made snorkel.
Front & rear E-locker.
Flat cross member.
Fuel tank skid plate.
E-loker guards,Axle armor and more.

This is my daily drive well so most wheeling gear is packed in plastic and metal boxes that fit the truck bed for max' storage efficiency.
Gas stove, 40 L of water in two plastic cans with tap on the cap and more.
60L original fuel tank gives me about 400km between fueling when going off road and a 20L spare tank gives extra 150 km.

Typical look when wheeling.

gas stove when closed and when on duty.

simple water tank..X2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.