Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#182 ·
Cheers mate. Not sure if you guys have them over in the US but we call them swags. They are made out of 12-14oz canvas and completely weather/waterproof (I've been in mine on the ground in -2.9 degrees and also in torrential downpours of rain and was dry and warm). Basically it has a matress inside (70mm very comfortable) your pillow and bedding and you just roll it out when your ready to sleep and roll it up when your ready to go and throw it up on the roof rack. Fantastic bit of gear and very popular here in Australia (my dads been using his for over 30 years!)

These images will give you guys some idea - when its hot you can zip open the canvas and it has a fine insect screen so you can sleep under the stars.

I've only recently added the camp stretcher to put the swag on - kinda nice when the ground is a bit uneven or rocky and you can't be bothered finding a good spot to roll it out.

#186 ·
I like that tray (as you call it). Checked out the www.campingWA.com website shown on the back of it, but that isn't the mfg. Any idea who makes that and where to contact them?

A few mates trucks from here in Western Australia.

New landcruiser trayback with the twin turbo deisel V8.

#185 ·
Clearly you've cornered the market on all the cool things Down Under that we don't have. I'd give my left arm for that Landy, and those swags would be just the ticket for truck based camping.

#987 ·
My setup 2.8TDI + modified M416 trailer:smokin:

finally a swb montero/pajero!!! i have an 87 that i am working on and would love to turn into a adventure rig, plans so far include a diesel engine swap, new gears arb airlocker, arb bullbar, winch, 2 inch body lift, extended shackles, new heavy duty torsion bars, and either 33x10.50s or 235/85/16s...if i can find some 33x9.50s then they will be on there but no luck so far...im also building a custom trailer to help with the limited storage...planning a trip to the southern tip of argentina after i get everything listed above and then all the minor stuff

#200 ·
Fj-60

Thanks for the props on my 60. The ARB didn't work so well with the 350 crate. The plenums can be had at Summit Racing. Mine is an older GM performance part (Dealer may still have these). I used an airbox off of a Jeep Unlimited. Plumbing reducer from ACE Hardnware. 3 inch Automotive air hose from Kragen.

It's a 285hp crate 350 with a few bolt ons. Turbo 400 auto to reduction half of an NP203 to adapter plate to Toy split case. Drivelines angles are awesome with this set up. It will sustain 80mph on the highway and gear down so low you'll fall asleep.

The triple shifter boots are from JB Custom Fab in Oregon. They are a supporting vendor here.

The rig is still in progress. Just added 120 wall dom sliders and a few other goodies. Troy

Attachments

#225 ·
Love your samurai... and not just because I like Samurais, but because I have been trying to figure out a good way to mount my kayaks on mine. :D

I gave driven Samurais on some long trips.. 2,000+ miles. I don't think i would consider them expedition vehicles, but they are a lot of fun. Fuel range is a real bummer on the Samurai, I'm always the first to run out of fuel with the stock tank.

My F-250 currently has a fuel range of 2200 highway miles. Does that count?

-Wayne

#203 ·
My Jeep friends are always surpised at how much stuff I can carry in the Amigo. Same wheelbase and track as a CJ7, I just don't have to carry all of the extra Jeep parts :flipoff2: With 2 people, we can camp for a week. With an extra 5 gallons of gas, I have a 350+ mile off highway range.

#204 ·
You are very brave to trust an Amigo. One local boy followed us across our small trail and the next week had to replace both axles, transfer unit and some suspension parts from baning it on the rocks. I don't think there are any skidplates on those.

#205 ·
You are very brave to trust an Amigo.
Brave? No! A man has to know his limitations and the limitations of his equipment. I have a few custom skid plates where necessary and I know where (and where not) to drive the Amigo.

If I wanted to flog it against rocks, I would build it differently. I have broken a few tie rods (trail fix). And once broke a rear axle shaft. I drove it off the trail but had to get it off the mountain with a borrowed trailer. In 18 years+ and over 195,000 miles, that it the only time the Amigo didn't get driven home.

#206 · (Edited)
Hey, it's a start. Just got the canopy bolted down last night. Have yet to start tricking it out inside the shell. I need to get some fitment issues fixed first (tailgate isn't aligned quite right, hits the canopy) and fix some minor damage to the fiberglass. Then I'm going to start working on getting lights and a power inverter set up, put new screens on the side windows and other cool shit to make it easier to camp in as I go. Basically, I hate camping in a tent on the ground, this'll be way easier on my back. My range is pretty short compared to some, but I should still be in the 300 mile range, more than enough for taking the girlfriend camping.

#209 ·
My 1985 Toyota 4Runner

This is my daily driver/weekend warrior/expedition/camping/mall crawlin' 1985 Toyota 4runner.

While it is more geared towards rock crawling right now I plan to mold it a bit more towards the expedition/crawler type truck in the near future. I would like to do some cross-country off road adventures as well as travel to Canada, Alaska and Baja at some point.

Current specs:

1985 Toyota 4runner
DOA Racing built 22RE
Downey header
K&N air filter
Flowmaster exhaust
Optima Red Top
W56 5 speed tranny
Dual transfer cases utilizing a Marlin Crawler adapter and Marlin Crawler 4.7 gears in the rear transfer case

Suspension:
4x4 Labs 2" drop box moved 2" forward
stock Jeep Wagoneer front leaf springs, 6" shackle
12" Bilstein 5125s
Rear 63" chevy springs with dual shackle (stock chevy, 6" toyota)
14" Bilstein 5125s

Axles:
Front 1985 Toyota 8" solid axle
5.29 R&P, open
Marlin Crawler high steer
FJ60 rotors
IFS calipers
Rear 1989 8" V6 pick up
5.29 R&P, Aussie Locker
dif breathers

Armor:
Custom made front bumper w/ Warn winch
Marlin Crawler DOM sliders
Marlin Crawler DOM rear bumper
Budbuilt skidplate

Wheels/Tires:
35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs
15x10 steelies

Misc:
hi lift
full size spare
drings, straps
full med kit
tire plug kit
full tool box of most needed tools
full box of spare parts
full box of extra fluids

Future Upgrades:
Powertank or onboard air system
Onboard shower
Larger gas tank, possibly a fuel cell
rock lights
Aux lighting
Rear slide out storage
Toyota 3.4 V6 conversion
Dual Optimas
Onboard welder
Rear tire/hi lift/gas can swing out carrier
Longfield front axles
pull pal

#210 ·
Here is my expo rig.......work in progress.

93 2dr 4runner SR5 V6 5spd:

83 SFA
TG 3" SAS
V6 3rds all round geared to 4.88 and a lockrite rear.
63" chevies (3/4 tonne 4x4 OL removed)
33" Truxus MT's
Surco rack
Hella 500's

Next on the list is Rock sliders, Warn front bumper and a custom rear bumper with tire swing out and jerry can holders.

Its a bit taller than I wanted but it seems to be working very well and its way more reliable now that the IFS is gone.

Jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.