Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#270 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's the thing with a diesel conversion. You really have to want it to make it worthwhile because it is unlikely that you'll get it back in the difference at the pump. I was thinking about it for the XJ just to get a feel for it. For the difference of 3-6 mpg on a built rig minus the difference in gas prices versus diesel prices it would take a long time to recoup your money. Would probably get there on the next rebuild of the diesel perhaps? May be an exaggeration but it would be a long time regardless.

There's a few photos floating around of the trip computer in a KJ reading ~33 mpg. I gotta wonder how realistic that is in the day to day though. Following the land cruiser stuff none of them seem to get out of the low to mid 20s mpg. UK gallons at that AFAIK. The KJ wasn't really built either.

If you were looking at getting into a new rig that came diesel then there'd be no question in my mind, go diesel.

Gas is so much cleaner and convenient too, if you are concerned with such things. Outside of your normal stomping grounds you can pull into any gas station and fuel up. Around here you have to know which stations have diesel.

#275 ·
Here is my 07 Toy FJ TRD SE called the Raptor. Just got back from Ouray, CO. And spent 3 days on the Kokopelli Trail, camping on Top of the World, then ran Hell's Revenge in MOAB.

Imogene Pass -Ouray, CO

On Top Of The World - Kokopelli Trail Expedition July 2008

Coming down the Rose Garden

Hell's Revenge - MOAB, UT

#276 · (Edited)
OK, it's not technically an expedition rig yet, but it will be when/if I finally move to the Pacific NW. I just got 2" Old Man Emu springs and 31x10.5R15 BFG ATs. The stock wheels mean no sticking out tires which I think is consistent with the expedition aesthetic, and the small lift means good suspension geometry, less stress on the unibody and better reliability.
I will probably end up offroading alone mostly, so I will get a winch before traction aid, and the traction aid will probably be a Trac Lok LSD rather than a lunchbox locker, to reduce the chance of broken axleshafts.

Edit: I'm getting 20mpg with the new 31s! I'm always arguing with Jeep guys about gas mileage being a relevant offroad spec. Tired of hearing "buy an econobox if you care about mpg".

Here's my stock WJ on Goose Lake Jeep Trail. Went there while I was doing an internship in Yellowstone. I got the XJ and gave the WJ to my dad, just a couple weeks after lifting it with a budget boost :D
With the distances I drove it, I think it qualifies as an expedition rig.

#277 ·
Heres what I am starting with a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Got it with 83050 miles on it. Anyway my plans are to maybe get a bit more lift, build some bumpers and rockers with some A/Ts on, maybe a stouter roof rack. I took the finder flares off its still has the paper dealer tags and as money permits Ill build it up. Its mamas ride and shes preggers so its not going to happen over night.:shaking:

After the flares were removed.

#278 · (Edited)
I've always liked Pathfinders. Pretty light unibody and clean futuristic styling. Almost bought one but then I found the WJ. I've never seen anyone selling a lift except Rocky Road :(

Nice Wrangler with the tucked in tires there

#279 ·
Just a few images of my Defender....

in Mongolia during the Transsyberia 2007...

...and a minor river crossing...

...and in Romania during the Superkarpata 2008, a nice and tough Expedition Trophy...

and my old ´78 K5 Blazer....

..arrival in Kabul after 8 weeks on the road, crossing Turkey, Syria, Iraq & Iran...

...late November 2002, in Pakthia Province heading towards Khost...

#280 · (Edited)
holy crap Oilworker, you must have some stories..... do you have any journals or travelogues of your journeys? Where are you based out of? I can't see/read any plates on your rigs.

EDIT: okay, I lied. I can see the front plate on the Defender but I'm an American idiot and don't understand anything off my own continent :roll:

#283 ·
Given the prominence of the German flag on the Defender and I think that is a .de URL on the K5 I am guessing he's from Germany
see, I'm a stupid American *and* a liar :)

#284 ·
:) Don´t worry, I am currently based in Germany, have lived in Liberia until the outbreak of the last war and been to a few places sofar.

The german flag on the Defender has always helped in the past to keep people from outright shooting at me, like in Afghanistan.

The K5 has Saudi number plates, though.

Currently I have no real travelogues online but will probably reload them to one of my websites ´til the end of this year. First I have to get another site online and I have to start building the new rig....

So long,

Robert

#287 · (Edited)
Here is my rig, 2003 Nissan patrol TD6 4.2 intercooled turbo diesel straight 6 :D

few mods, 2" lift, cargo barrier, drawers, rear power direct from second batt for fridge, Warn winch, snorkle ect
Sliders, tyres water tanks comming soon

The old rig, 89 Nissan Patrol with ford badges!
6cy diesel

#298 ·
My pathfinder.. 1987,
Custom suspension
Custom cage,
Custom interior
Winch,
Extra fuel
Tools
Parts..
and thats all i'll list.
Built for anything. Cage looks gay on top, but it was done this way for stowing gear and a small boat
I can take the wife, 3 kids and load her up for a week.
She goes any place i want, can carry an extra 10 gallons of fuel
The 'ole bitch has never let me down or stranded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.