Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#306 ·
I'm not knocking anyone's rigs on this section

but...

it seems that I've only seen a handful of actual "expedition" rigs in this section.

The rest are just wheeling rigs. My perception of an expedition rig would have tech about sleeping arrangements, alternative charging systems (solar, generator, etc.) shower systems, GPS mounts, etc.

Just on the last page alone I saw a few mild Cherokees, a sweet diesel Patrol, and some exo caged rigs. I just am missing the tech in any of these threads in this section.

I think there needs to be more control of what gets posted in here. Not that I really contribute to any of it because I don't classify my rig as "expeditous", I just don't see the point to posting up an ordinary wheeling rig unless it has something from the list I made above.

Just my 2 cents.

#307 ·
You are late, we discussed this about a month ago, lol. I think it has more to do with the intent. What some consider an expedition, others consider a extended camping trip. There is no hard definition about what consists of an expedition or what your vehicle requires. Just as different equipment is needed on the tundra then is required for a desert terrain, so different vehicles are setup to be self sufficient under different circumstances.

Having said that, I to agree that some of the rigs posted here are a far cry from being any sort of expedition vehicle as defined in my mind. I haven't posted my Ramcharger in this thread because it looks like a basic D60'd wheeler because I haven't spent that much time or money on it yet. In the end it will probably be more of a search and rescue vehicle then anything, but should be capable of making some decent treks away from civilization and have a lot in common with other vehicle I consider expedition worthy. To each his own, but I do think there should be a little more restraint about posting the average daily driver with mud tires and so forth.

#308 ·
Pietro i think your right, at one point in this thread there is a lifted f350 that is a quad cab long bed... not very expedition considering everything else was stock. I think there needs to be requirements or "guidelines" as to what a real expedition rig is. I have a yj that is as much of an expedition rig as alot of the ones posted on here and it is in no way shape or form built for expeditions. It gets bad gas mileage and has a 18 gallon tank. Im sorry but a rig that goes around 200 miles per tank is not a expedition rig. That is a daily driver or a wheeler rig. Isnt an expedition going out into the outback of Australia or going to The abandoned mining cities of Nevada? For a week at a time going say 250 miles into the wilderness and then coming back. Sorry for the rant but i do think your right some of these posts need to be moved to the right threads... such as post your pictures of (insert make) here.

#309 ·
I agree with the exception that I think expedition rigs should either provide the things listed above or at least be able to carry those provisions. Only adding that the rig also provide protection from the elements (i.e. having full doors and roof) I'd like to see everyone put in a range on the amount of fuel and how many days it can remain self sufficient (remember no tow rig at the trail head with spare parts and tools) At least start by having a full size spare.

#310 ·
many ppl here will never go on an expedition, so maybe that should be addressed or defined first... going camping for a week and taking all of your food and gear with you in your truck or jeep is NOT an expedition... that is camping trip than can be done in many different types of vehicles. Hell I can camp for three days off the beaten path, down a dirt road in the middle of no where in a Honda Civic.

I love to see cool rigs as much as the next guy, but like so many threads on this forum, this one veered off track a while back..

just my two cents...

#312 ·
With some of the comments on here it made me wonder what an expedition really is....

Main Entry: ex·pe·di·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌek-spə-ˈdi-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 a: a journey or excursion undertaken for a specific purpose b: the group of persons making such a journey
2: efficient promptness : speed
3: a sending or setting forth

So if you cant travel a thousand miles on a single tank that takes one out of this category?

#313 ·
It doesn't technically matter what your rig is but what your working towards...My truck is trail ready but I'm now in the beginning stages of equiping it for long distance on and off road travel and to be as self contained as Possible for my particular vehicle. Unfortunately I'm not willing to place my self in debt to achieve this all at one time to appease the members of any board... :shaking:

Where in north America can you drive in any direction for a week and not run into civilization... maybe if you walk... or come up to Canada and hit the far north...but your on board shower wont be so shit hot then would it?? :flipoff2:

As far as I'm concerned if you are building a vehicle in the spirit of a expedition vehicle and are at any stage you should be considered welcome. It takes a shit load of planning and trial and error to equip the amount of crap in a expo rig that you need to carry and still have it functional...Maybe it should be a forum of ONLY FINISHED EXPEDITION VEHICLES...:shaking:

I figured that the great PIRATE 4x4 would be a great place to start planning a build for an expo vehicle that is based from an actual trail rig... maybe I'm wrong :D

I have a gps mount I made, and a remote mounted camera and a 15 gallon water tank, plus 2 metal fuel cans with a roof rack on the way so does that mean I can stay and play now ??? :flipoff2:

#314 ·
Again, I'm not looking to start a war but I'd like to see the posts here somewhat related to expedition regardless of how extreme your idea of an expedition is.

I think anything related to making a vehicle self sustaining would qualify. Something simple as plumbing a long range fuel cell I think would fit but adding lift and tires is something that belongs in a vehicle specific forum.

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up, I just want to see this section turn into: I put some new 31's on my rig and I have handheld GPS mount on the dash, check out my new expedition rig...:shaking:

#316 ·
I understand the need to Keep this room on track... But i would hate to see it limited by any blanket statements or rules...I can read about suspension tech any where, but what about suspension tech for expo vehicles that are carrying an extra 1000+ pounds while they wheel (see my other post in this section) That would be a very good bit of tech to have here...

Over time as this room grows in recognition I'm confident you will see very Expo style tech in here like water systems, power systems, storage , etc but remember that the large majority of those people frequenting this room are pirate members that are heading in a new direction...so If your just showing what you want to use as an expo vehicle who really cares, but if you are to post a thread showing something that should obviously be in another room then absolutely move it... IE: vehicle specific mods thats cannot be crossed over to other vehicles, or don't relate to wheeling with very heavy loaded vehicles that require a good set of road manners and the ability to wheel hard.

We should Move the offroad trailer posts in here also as they go hand in hand sorta...I'll need one I'm sure

Well there's my #2 rant...this is better than dr. Phil...:flipoff2:

#317 ·
this usually sees trails like the rubicon and fordyce, but the MTR's were chosen so it could do street duty without fuss....i explore a lot of fire roads and forestry roads in the sieeras east of sonora and murphys..it does have an onboard microwave:D

Attachments

#319 ·
You are correct, but I would beware of the split ring style also as found on many light duty truck in the 60s and 70s as well as a lot of military trucks like the M715, M35, etc. They can also blow off with incredible force and actually killed a guy near here about 15 years ago. Ring blew off, ripped a chunk out of his throat and he bled to death before they could even call for help.

On the plus side, split ring rims are easy to change in the field, which is why the military used them for so long. With the right tools and proper precautions, you can change a tire or patch a tube on the side of the trail and continue on. Just remember to use a clip on air chuck with a 10' lead so you can air it up to seat the bead form a distance, wrap a chain loosely around through the rim several times to contain the ring in the event of a failure and put the rim face (ring side) down. If the rim, ring and tire bead are is good condition, the bead of the tire should retain the ring once seated. There is plenty on info on the web about the split ring rims on the military truck forums.

#320 ·
Some vehicles on here look like they need to be hauled by trailer to the trails, this kind goes against what an expo rig should be. Likewise 40 inch tires are kind of silly unless your traversing glaciers in Greenland. Most stock 4x4's make excellent expo rigs with little or no mods needed.

In the states there are few trips that could be called an expedition. Nevada and the Southwest may be some of the few places left where you can travel for days and not cross a paved road or run into another vehicle. If you look at some of these trans Sahara expeditions the trucks are not lifted and caged. In fact the tires are skinny and lifts are kept to a minimum. Being mechanically sound and self supported trumps rock crawling ability.

IMO simplicity is the key.

#323 ·
I agree with the last 2 posts Adventure vehicle may be more appropriate name, but I think now we are splitting hairs...My point is why would I in Canada build a vehicle to travel the Sahara desert or travel the outback of Oz when I have no plans to travel there??? If you look around the world expo vehicles vary a bit region by region but generally are similar... Except that you can't get to North America from there so they don't need to be setup for our environment....Why should we setup for theirs...:shaking:

There is so much varied terrain on this continent that is retarded...it's not all like the southern states...40's wouldn't be that bad a choice in Northern Canada with all the frozen tundra that will swallow a d9 cat in the spring when it thaws... (May be tough to find a replacement tire though)

I'd pay good money to see you roll through on a stock vehicle :flipoff2:

We don't all live in so cal or arizona...Our forests even have trees in them up here :D

#324 ·
Split Rims arent that bad, anyting can be dangerous, my car is an 03 model that came standard with them, they are the preferd rim for outback travel as you can change a tyre easily, they run a light truck tyre instead of a passanger car one, and asuch are cheaper, tougher and more reliable carrier heavier loads that are generally taken with a fully loaded 4wd

#325 ·
Here's my 85 Toy 4runner set up for long range desert exploration.

Pics from top to bottom are:

- Echo Canyon, Death Valley National Park
- Mengel Pass, DVNP
- Saline Hot Springs, Saline Valley, DVNP
- Slumgullion Canyon, Northwest Nevada
- Black Rock Point, Black Rock Desert, NV

Attachments

#326 ·
"Im sorry but a rig that goes around 200 miles per tank is not a expedition rig."

This is silly and wrong. Some of the best stock expedition rigs get about that (specifically a lot of land rovers). Fuel cans get all the extra range you need.

I don't agree that you have to have modded the truck with XY or Z to have an expedition rig.

Someone who know what they are doing and does the right minimal prep can get a whole lot further off the beaten path that a novice with no common sense or skills and a pimped out rig.

For example, these guys drove basically stock Land Rover/Defender 110s.

www.ihana.com

www.travelswithrover.com

Back in the old days, people would take trips for months on end with nothing more than a stock short wheelbase landy (which if mine is any indication, gets about 18-20m mpg highway with an 11 gallon or so tank).

http://www.firstoverland.com/

#328 ·
IMO, an expedition rig should be capable of.

1) 300 mile round trip without refueling
2) capable of starting itself with a dead battery
3) cary spare parts, able to fix without calling napa.
4) able to go ANWHERE you want. (capable 4x4)
5) repair flat tires.. i.e. spares, patches, plugs OBA.
6) Cary food, gear, and multipel people

:smokin:

#411 ·
This is so far, the best explanation of an expedition rig I've seen yet. I've been living in my deuce and toyota truck for most of this year. I always have two months of food, water, and supplies on hand. I also have 50 spare gallons of filtered waste veggie oil in the deuce and the tank will hold another 50 giving me an 800 mile range. If for some reason, it shits the bed, I can unhook the toyota and go another 400 miles for supplies. If the toyota shits the bed, I can drop the XR250 off the back and go another 200 miles. I can camp long term out of any of the three vehicles. I know this combo works because I've been on an expedition for ten months and have had basically no problems. Absolute reliability and simplicity with two backup plans is the best way to go! I would not hesitate to go anywhere in the world with this setup. If I could only get a diesel for my toyota at a reasonable price, everything would be perfect!

#329 ·
I have been thinking a bit more about the term expedition. I camp a lot and for long periods but I would not call that an expedition. The term expedition seems to convey a purpose to the trip instead of, hey lets go wheeling for a few days and drink some beer. An expedition should have a goal and it's outcome probably unknown. I have been on only a few trips where that I would consider an expedition and none of them involved vehicles. They were either climbing, rafting or kayaking trips on mountains, routes or rivers that had either never been climbed or never been rafted or kayaked. Success was not a given and every day brought new challenges and obstacles.

The first Jeep through the Rubicon or the Dusy Ershim might be considered a expo, the following of an old wagon trail across Nevada may be an expedition. Hell a winter traverse of the Rubicon probably ranks up there.

When I think expedition I think epic. Camping aint epic, it's fun but hardly epic. An expedition rig does not an expedition make.

#330 ·
Some great rigs here, giving me some ideas for my 1978 flatdeck'r and 1978 bronco. My only limitations are time and money!

FYI - split rims were generally a two piece wheel that was riveted together. Only really meant for light duty, 1/4 ton vehicles and passenger cars. They rust over time and blew apart. The military had the split rims which could be bolted together and were designed better to avoid catastrophic failure.

Split ring wheels are very dangerous as mentioned above you must consider this a loaded gun and use extreme caution. Wrapping a chain is a great method as is using a clip on air chuck with a valve to stop the air.

Now even one piece 22.5 and 24 truck wheels can be dangerous. My dad has had a couple go kaboom inside a cage and he has over 40 years experience in industrial tire servicing.

:beer:

I really like the elvated tent idea so you are sleeping with all the critters and snakes. My lady would really appreciate that.

Expedition to me means a couple months in the back country without meeting a soul. Is that even possible these days?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.