Pirate 4x4 banner

Expo Forum: Introduce yourself here

107K views 142 replies 114 participants last post by  King2023 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I wanted to start this thread to introduce myself, and hope you all will introduce yourselves. Some of you may know me from here or on the trail. I spend most of my time in the Land Cruiser forum. I have been very into Land Cruisers and wheeling for about 16 years. While I am mostly into “hardcore” rock crawling, I am and always have been into exploring and expedition type rigs. I am currently building a stretched cab 1963 FJ45 with a 3.4 Tacoma motor and Taco 5 speed. This vehicle is being built exclusively for my girlfriend and me to explore the most remote stretches of the Baja and the western USA.

Last winter I went to Australia with a couple good buddies and bought a 1984 FJ60 that we traveled the east coast with. The Cruiser is being stored in New Castle Au. And will be used for future trips to the west coast and the interior including the most trying trek in Australia, the Canning Stock route.

On the more Rock crawling side of things. I have a FJ40 Land Cruiser buggy that has been all over the west, from the Hammers, to The North West, to Colorado and everywhere in between, hitting the hardest trails in the nation. While most folks that go on wheeling trips stay in Camp grounds, or motels. My idea of a wheeling trip is to load the buggy with a Coffee pot, camp stove and a sleeping bag, hit some tough trails and camp in the middle of nowhere. I have been all over western Colorado, Utah, California, and Oregon during all 4 seasons living out of the back of a buggy.

Well that’s a little bit about me. If you have any thought or ideas on the direction of this forum please let me know. I think this is a great idea for a forum and look forward to seeing your trips and projects posted up.

Attachments

See less See more
#62 · (Edited)
Recently joined forums

Here is what I have and where I want to go;

1999 K2500 4x4 Suburban “MPV” not SUV.
NP246 Auto Trac t-case, the auto feature monitors the 3 speed sensors “front and rear drive shaft speeds along with vehicle speed” then the ABS sensors through a controller that applies 9 clutches at various torque levels to front differential.
4L80e built w/Kevlar, premium steels, transgo off road towing kit, tons of HD aftermarket internals finished off w/B&M super cooler w/fan and160 deg stat control.
6.5 ltr turbo diesel w/enhanced “509” block w/19.5 cr, smaller piston oilers for cooling under boost (enhanced are MAY 99 and newer), dual idler gear drive, dual alternators 105 amp, vacuum pump delete, Heath performance MaxiTq program, mechanical boost control, marine injectors, turbo after-cooler, 120psi water injection tripped w/Hobbs valve, AMSOIL bypass filtration +3 qts more oil, factory oil cooler w/cold bypass and running 2 cycle oil in fuel to lube IP (low sulfur fuel kills em w/o 2 cycle), 6.5 ltr NA diesel lift pump running @ higher pressure, 3” turbo back exhaust (this burb came new w/o cat), EGT’s are limited to 1k @ wot, 2 stand alone IP drivers w/coolers 1 at lower edge of frt/bumper 1 at leading edge of d/s frt wheel well, the injection pump (IP) driver is a known problem which throws no codes. PTO high idle switch (3 range 1k, 1.3k, or 1.6k+-) for better cooling and winch performance. I use OBD2 enhanced scanner tool w/device controllers and real time data monitoring of entire drive train. This 6.5 has given me lots of trouble free use, prior trouble free GM diesel was my 6.2 in a 1986 GM Jimmy K20 4x4.
14 bolt FF 10.5” w/gov loc “ARB for this soon”, magtec cover at rear, up front is the 9.25” w/ARB air provided by ARB to include tire inflation option.
ALCOA 16x7 8 lug 3750 lb cap wheels, tires 285/75/16 (e) 3750 lb cap Silent Armor or MTR’s (d) wheels are etched primed and painted w/Teflon flat black paint.
Front bumper is WARN classic w/brush guard and diesel scoop to enhance cooling trough radiator, a 12k Mile Marker hydraulic winch is mounted driven via HD PSC ps pump through hydroboost then cooled. Bumper mounted Hella DynaView cornering/driving lights (discontinued) but control module can be had to control 2 sets of lights 1 set for cornering (aimed into corner) the other for driving/fog or off road.
Rear bumper is a KENNASAW w/HD shackles. Decided against rear bumper mounted options after reviewing GM up fitting manuals (get em on line) weight distribution frt to rear with accessories mounted in frt of frt axle, then frt to rear weight distributation w/accessories mounted after rear axle, I found that after the front bumper and all the things mounted to it changed the vehicles handling I went to the heavy rear bumper to bring the vehicle back to user friendly manners.
Suspension is stock MOOG problem solver parts and actually the same as the K3500+ because of diesel option (heavy motor).
Electrical upgrades include dual alts 105 amp, more ground straps, stand alone headlight harness and inverter.
Towing is class IV w/2 separate 30 amp harnesses from power distribution block in engine bay both 5 wire/8 wire sockets.
Future mods; 25 gal aux fuel tank under chassis mount = 68 gals in tanks, have 6 jerry cans now, Basket roof carrier or perhaps off road trailer w/hi lift mount, 6 to 12 jerry can fuel/water mount, pioneering tools, LED spots, roof tent or 2, awnings, 2.7k/4k surge diesel genset , Bushwacker cut out fender flares to use 35” tires w/o lift (perhaps 37’s w/o lift and some more trimming) of course deeper gears for bigger tires, Portable mechanical tire changer w/bead breaker, On board welder, Composting toilet , Fording kit w/custom snorkel to go past the now 36” depth I can do now, plan to use the crankcase depression valve CDV like the mil hummer to slightly pressurize diffs, t-case, trans, ps pump to keep water out, interior insulation already removed under rugs plan bed liner for interior floor and more drain plugs too.

#63 · (Edited)
Greetings from Phoenix

Hey all, Mike from Phoenix AZ.

Below are a few pics of the '62 Willys CJ6 and trailer that I built. I mostly enjoyed bringing the CJ back to life from 40 years as a US Border Patrol 4cyl basket case. This included essentials such as PS, PB, V8, upgraded axles/TC/tranny, dual batt., etc.

The CJ has all the essentials to get me in and out of the back country. When done with the basics (nobody is ever done with a CJ), I put my mind to completing this M101 trailer, which I finished this past summer. Included are a few pics on a northern AZ elk hunt, worked out great.

Great to meet you all.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qWN3EFXXXDsJyKu0YAE7Mw?authkey=E5cPTrKiags&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/msontag03/M101Trailer?feat=directlink

#103 ·
Hey all, Mike from Phoenix AZ.

Below are a few pics of the '62 Willys CJ6 and trailer that I built. I mostly enjoyed bringing the CJ back to life from 40 years as a US Border Patrol 4cyl basket case. This included essentials such as PS, PB, V8, upgraded axles/TC/tranny, dual batt., etc.

The CJ has all the essentials to get me in and out of the back country. When done with the basics (nobody is ever done with a CJ), I put my mind to completing this M101 trailer, which I finished this past summer. Included are a few pics on a northern AZ elk hunt, worked out great.

Great to meet you all.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qWN3EFXXXDsJyKu0YAE7Mw?authkey=E5cPTrKiags&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/msontag03/M101Trailer?feat=directlink
Nice set up. Both the cj and trailer.
What's the paint color you used?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

#65 ·
Hi Folks :smokin: Name is Jill and I'm in the process of getting ideas for my 99 Limited 4Runner. (It's wrecked right now... damn ex-husband.)

So far my plans are: Portal-Tek axles with CTIS, big tires (probably the new BFG KM2's... mmmm), adding a gun rack inside, an extra seat for all the darn kids we've got, a snorkel, custom bumpers and roof rack. With the cool tent of course. And I want that neato sport hood with the scoop, but I'm having a bit of difficulty finding one. It should be a pretty wicked rig, I think :grinpimp:

Anyhow, I'm open to new ideas or better ones if anyone wants to give input. This is going to be a long project, methinks.

#68 · (Edited)
Hi, just checking in. I have a 97 Geo Tracker with lots of suspension and drivetrain mods. We spend a month each summer doing offroading in the western states. We have only been doing day trips but this summer we want to do some multi-day trips. So I have been reading this fourm to learn as much as I can to gear up for those trips. It has been a challenge to gear up and keep as compact as possible. I have added extra fuel & water containers, 12 volt Waeco fridge, cooking equipment, roof top storage, sleeping bags, tent in addition to all the tools and equipment I always carry. Thanks for all the advice I have read and I am looking forward to learning more here. Here is a link to some pics of my rig. If anyone is running some trails in Utah or Colorado this June I would love to hear from you. Maybe we can run them together.

Dave

http://www.slide.com/r/6DY_Lghe1z-rf7QQruSZVkr9o0lYFLQn

#69 · (Edited)
gday, just checking in.
love my Suzuki's and travel all over the place in my sierra (samari)
i live in the best part of Australia if you are into remote area travel
and i often just follow a riverbed for a couple of hundred K's just to see where
it comes from.:D

and if my family come with me i take this one

#72 · (Edited)
Rob here. I have been building Jeeps and Yota's etc. for about 20 years or so now. Building vehicles has been part of my curriculum for a long time.

Lately I have noticed my interest in car traveling and "expedition" type of stuff is increasing pretty regularly. Watching the Long Way Around didn't help! I know they were on bikes, but that was the coolest movie. Wow.

I am looking at building something that I can explore 2-tracks with and still drive to work once in awhile. I live where we get alot of snow so I need something that is able off-road with some clearance.

Eventually I would like to travel to Moab, up to Alaska etc.

Our first long drive will likely be this summer in my wifes Jeep GC. We are looking at going to Moab etc. but won't likely do anything scary since we need to get home.

I will post my build ideas here in a bit.

Thank you, ROB

#75 ·
Hola

Ive been searching on a few different 4x4 (mainly jeep) forums but have recently found myself browsing this one for the past few months. Its nice to see all the 4x4's come together on one awesome site.. so with that said, I figured i'd join in on the fun.

I started a cherokee camper project awhile back and been taking pictures as I progressed. I had to stop for awhile, but just recently started back into the project in hopes to finish it. So within the next few days, I will be posting a thread up of the camper and see what you folks think. The reason I am choosing this board is because of all the real life experiences and vast areas of expedition many of the Pirate4x4 members have conquered over the years. I hope to gain as much knowledge as possible from the guru's of adventure.

thanks.

dave

#76 ·
hello from the English in Las Vegas

Stated bulding a TJ two years ago after my love of motorcycles left me with a spine broken in 3 places and more rivits and plates that a rusty CJ.. it turned into more of a dual sport rock crawer and we did the Rubicon this summer.

So with that finished and parked i plan on taking this XJ that i got 3 weeks ago down the Sea of Cortez in mexico next year and i can build what i thought he TJ would be .. a real trail rig..

It needs lots of work but i just got it ruining and better yet stopping, which was much harder than getting it running so now i can start on my build. I'll be looking for all kind of help and ideas as this is my first build of this kind.

This is what it looks like with the lights fixed, rack on. extra lights on top, brakes!!! and seats welded to the old frames and some old TJ flairs bolted on. Its going to be a budge build but have it where it counts i hope.

I look forward to picking your brains for ideas and lots of advice on what not to do.

Thanks
Dave

#77 ·
Hello all,
I just stumbled across this forum, and i have to say the idea of an expo- rig is awesome. Ive been into offroading for many years, and have been into camping ever since i was a little kid. Combining the two just seems RIGHT.

Ive gone through all 30pages of the "lets see your..." thread. There are some great rigs in there, however a few of them just appear to be daily drivers. Im still unclear whats involved in a good expo-rig. My take on an expo- is that it would have to be able to haul passengers comfortably, be able to haul equip., and be fully capable off-road.

Im happy i came across this forum, and thanks for having me.

#78 · (Edited)
I am in Alabama. I bought a '94 Amigo (Oddball) about 18 months ago and have been using it as a learning platform for stuff I should have known years ago. I am about to enter the world of welding. My plan is to have a short wheel based vehicle that I can camp out of and eventually adding a trailer, too.

I got all of my expo-camping experience from the Army NG utilizing M60 tanks, M113 APC's and finally M1026 HMMV's. My other off-road experience is from the saddle of an XR200 and LPC's.

I am stoked about this section of the Pirate board, I spend time on Planet Isuzoo, Expedition Portal and Lightfighter. I have received good info from all of them.

A little race action from NOV08.

#80 ·
New to Pirate. I've been hanging around the 4Runner forum for a bit but my honest goal is to turn my 2nd Gen Runner into an Expedition vehicle. I'm looking at joining SARA (Southern Arizona Rescue Association) and need to build a capable rig.

At the moment...I know nothing and have come to read and learn.

I have an extensive background in modification of vehicles and do professional/factory style work. My last build was a fully built '92 Acura Integra. I spent 2 years building an engine, dressing the engine bay and rebuilding the interior. The vehicle was stupid fast, super clean and appeared to have been built from the factory that way (sleeper with the hood down..minus wheels).

I hope to learn as much as I can about what gear works and what doesn't. I don't want to buy and install a full setup...only to be upgrading 6 months later.

Thanks for being here and the warm welcome!

#82 · (Edited)
Hi I live in BC Canada and have been camping and exploring for many years. I have always used a VW Westfalia, but due to a growing family I'm going to build a bigger more capable off road unit. My new camper is going to be based off a 2001 GMC 2500HD and a Bigfoot fiberglass truck camper.
Corey.

he is a shot of my soon to be retired rig

#85 · (Edited)
Newbie...

Hello everyone! My name is Brad and I currently reside in the southeast corner of South Dakota. I'm completely new to trucks and off roading, but found this forum through my other passion - motorcycles. I found Punkskalar's thread about building his Yamaha XS650 and started poking around and liked what I saw - especially the DIY threads and mentality that seems to be the norm here. A lot of the other truck and off road forums I've seen are "where can I buy" or "I had this place install this part on my ride" type threads.

My ride is a no frills 2003 F150 XL, regular cab, long box, and 4.6L V8. I originally thought about making it into an off roader, but soon discovered that I didn't really have the right starting point to build what I wanted without some major $$$ and modification. No worries though, my buddy pointed me in a new direction - adventure/expedition travel. The more I read about it, the more I like it. I've always been an outdoorsman, spending more nights in a tent during the summers growing up on an Iowa farm than in my own bed. Motorcycling is still an important part of my life, but I'm kind of getting to that point where I've done pretty much all there is to do on a bike, and want to try something new. Besides, I'm also the proud owner of a 4 month old Newfie/Lab mix puppy and always feel bad when I leave her home when I go riding.

Anyways, back on the topic at hand, I do understand that my F150 might not be the ideal long term starting point, but I'm new to the sport and figure working with what I have to get my feet wet is better than doing nothing at all. The only things I've done to the truck at this point is got the 4WD working again, and upgraded the wheels and tires. Future plans involve upgrading the suspension (probably just shocks for now), getting a cap so I can have a dry place to sleep and store my gear, putting bed liner on the rockers to prevent rust and scratches, and fabbing up some real bumpers for rescue/winch situations.

Here's how she sits today, modifications to come as time and money allow!

#86 · (Edited)
Introduction

Introducing myself, live in Southwest Florida and have owned this 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe 2 door 4X4 for about 2 and a half years and started building it into what I see as an expedition vehicle. My funds are limited and at the moment I"m putting in a Monster Transmissions SS mega monster 4L65E and I'm running a Lokar floor shifter to go along with it. When I bought the truck it was a stock LT 4X4 with no modifications. The list of mods is long so I'll just start posting pics. I'm working on a rear bumper with a tire mount, cb antenna mount, jerry can holders, d rings. I plan to do a 4" rough country lift, I have a 14 bolt SF 9.5" that'll be going in soon aswell. The engine is a remaned 5.7L vortec with less then 20K miles on it. Just about every part on the truck has been replaced. Its running 3.73 gears with a G80 locker. The PCM was tuned by Black Bear tuners and the engine runs on 93 Octane. CAI and shorty headers. The interior is also a big work in progress. I'll add to it as much as I can, should be a cool build.

#88 ·
New Guy from Central Florida

New guy here. I've kinda been online here a few times over the last couple of years looking at redirects from other websites but I finally decided to register. Not much to say, I'm not a hard core wheeler but I do go off the beaten path occasionally. There's not really any real off road areas around my area so I'm limited for the most part. I've been 4wheeling for maybe nearly 20 years ever since I had my Samurai back in 88. I did alot of off road work when I was in the military but that's another story altogether. Now I own an 08 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 Hemi and a 92 Bronco with a 300 I6. I'd like to upgrade the Bronco and turn it into a true go anywhere, do anything rig but keep it conservative at the same time.

Here's a photo of the Kids.