Expo Forum: Introduce yourself here - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 116236
hello from the English in Las Vegas

Stated bulding a TJ two years ago after my love of motorcycles left me with a spine broken in 3 places and more rivits and plates that a rusty CJ.. it turned into more of a dual sport rock crawer and we did the Rubicon this summer.

So with that finished and parked i plan on taking this XJ that i got 3 weeks ago down the Sea of Cortez in mexico next year and i can build what i thought he TJ would be .. a real trail rig..

It needs lots of work but i just got it ruining and better yet stopping, which was much harder than getting it running so now i can start on my build. I'll be looking for all kind of help and ideas as this is my first build of this kind.

This is what it looks like with the lights fixed, rack on. extra lights on top, brakes!!! and seats welded to the old frames and some old TJ flairs bolted on. Its going to be a budge build but have it where it counts i hope.

I look forward to picking your brains for ideas and lots of advice on what not to do.

Thanks
Dave
range_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 144281
Hello all,
I just stumbled across this forum, and i have to say the idea of an expo- rig is awesome. Ive been into offroading for many years, and have been into camping ever since i was a little kid. Combining the two just seems RIGHT.

Ive gone through all 30pages of the "lets see your..." thread. There are some great rigs in there, however a few of them just appear to be daily drivers. Im still unclear whats involved in a good expo-rig. My take on an expo- is that it would have to be able to haul passengers comfortably, be able to haul equip., and be fully capable off-road.

Im happy i came across this forum, and thanks for having me.
wesfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 117858
I am in Alabama. I bought a '94 Amigo (Oddball) about 18 months ago and have been using it as a learning platform for stuff I should have known years ago. I am about to enter the world of welding. My plan is to have a short wheel based vehicle that I can camp out of and eventually adding a trailer, too.

I got all of my expo-camping experience from the Army NG utilizing M60 tanks, M113 APC's and finally M1026 HMMV's. My other off-road experience is from the saddle of an XR200 and LPC's.

I am stoked about this section of the Pirate board, I spend time on Planet Isuzoo, Expedition Portal and Lightfighter. I have received good info from all of them.

A little race action from NOV08.

Last edited by Sabre 07; 11-28-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Sabre 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 102888
Hello All! WOW GREAT THREAD! I am currently building a 1994 Ford Bronco for just such occasions! I live in WV and am looking to find others into this kind of fun!!!
Tayenfabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 130609
New to Pirate. I've been hanging around the 4Runner forum for a bit but my honest goal is to turn my 2nd Gen Runner into an Expedition vehicle. I'm looking at joining SARA (Southern Arizona Rescue Association) and need to build a capable rig.

At the moment...I know nothing and have come to read and learn.

I have an extensive background in modification of vehicles and do professional/factory style work. My last build was a fully built '92 Acura Integra. I spent 2 years building an engine, dressing the engine bay and rebuilding the interior. The vehicle was stupid fast, super clean and appeared to have been built from the factory that way (sleeper with the hood down..minus wheels).

I hope to learn as much as I can about what gear works and what doesn't. I don't want to buy and install a full setup...only to be upgrading 6 months later.

Thanks for being here and the warm welcome!
Kredence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 157140
New to Pirate4x4. Really like the expedition forum. I have an '04 Rubicon TJ and would like to make it into a kind of "short expedition" vehicle as I live here in northern California where I don't usually go that far at one time... not more than a week anyway.

Last edited by Jon_Alex; 03-26-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Jon_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #82 (permalink)
VW

Member # 157291
Hi I live in BC Canada and have been camping and exploring for many years. I have always used a VW Westfalia, but due to a growing family I'm going to build a bigger more capable off road unit. My new camper is going to be based off a 2001 GMC 2500HD and a Bigfoot fiberglass truck camper.
Corey.

he is a shot of my soon to be retired rig

Last edited by VW; 03-29-2010 at 11:13 AM.
VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 21100
Welcome to Pirate... Shrink the pic 25% and report to the chest thread.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 154734
hello

hers my project it was a 89 suburban I'll post more as it gets done
it started like this

now it's like this so far

gnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 138456
Newbie...

Hello everyone! My name is Brad and I currently reside in the southeast corner of South Dakota. I'm completely new to trucks and off roading, but found this forum through my other passion - motorcycles. I found Punkskalar's thread about building his Yamaha XS650 and started poking around and liked what I saw - especially the DIY threads and mentality that seems to be the norm here. A lot of the other truck and off road forums I've seen are "where can I buy" or "I had this place install this part on my ride" type threads.

My ride is a no frills 2003 F150 XL, regular cab, long box, and 4.6L V8. I originally thought about making it into an off roader, but soon discovered that I didn't really have the right starting point to build what I wanted without some major $$$ and modification. No worries though, my buddy pointed me in a new direction - adventure/expedition travel. The more I read about it, the more I like it. I've always been an outdoorsman, spending more nights in a tent during the summers growing up on an Iowa farm than in my own bed. Motorcycling is still an important part of my life, but I'm kind of getting to that point where I've done pretty much all there is to do on a bike, and want to try something new. Besides, I'm also the proud owner of a 4 month old Newfie/Lab mix puppy and always feel bad when I leave her home when I go riding.

Anyways, back on the topic at hand, I do understand that my F150 might not be the ideal long term starting point, but I'm new to the sport and figure working with what I have to get my feet wet is better than doing nothing at all. The only things I've done to the truck at this point is got the 4WD working again, and upgraded the wheels and tires. Future plans involve upgrading the suspension (probably just shocks for now), getting a cap so I can have a dry place to sleep and store my gear, putting bed liner on the rockers to prevent rust and scratches, and fabbing up some real bumpers for rescue/winch situations.

Here's how she sits today, modifications to come as time and money allow!

Last edited by bdbecker; 04-28-2010 at 09:57 AM.
bdbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 160139
Introduction

Introducing myself, live in Southwest Florida and have owned this 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe 2 door 4X4 for about 2 and a half years and started building it into what I see as an expedition vehicle. My funds are limited and at the moment I"m putting in a Monster Transmissions SS mega monster 4L65E and I'm running a Lokar floor shifter to go along with it. When I bought the truck it was a stock LT 4X4 with no modifications. The list of mods is long so I'll just start posting pics. I'm working on a rear bumper with a tire mount, cb antenna mount, jerry can holders, d rings. I plan to do a 4" rough country lift, I have a 14 bolt SF 9.5" that'll be going in soon aswell. The engine is a remaned 5.7L vortec with less then 20K miles on it. Just about every part on the truck has been replaced. Its running 3.73 gears with a G80 locker. The PCM was tuned by Black Bear tuners and the engine runs on 93 Octane. CAI and shorty headers. The interior is also a big work in progress. I'll add to it as much as I can, should be a cool build.

Last edited by blackcoffee; 05-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 128256
Name is Brad, Located in Southern California.
Caught the Jeep Bug when i was 15, and got my dream car when i was 17.
2003 Jeep Wrangler

Not gonna be anything fancy, it's just got to last me through the Zombie Apocolypse.

bradf814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 162290
New Guy from Central Florida

New guy here. I've kinda been online here a few times over the last couple of years looking at redirects from other websites but I finally decided to register. Not much to say, I'm not a hard core wheeler but I do go off the beaten path occasionally. There's not really any real off road areas around my area so I'm limited for the most part. I've been 4wheeling for maybe nearly 20 years ever since I had my Samurai back in 88. I did alot of off road work when I was in the military but that's another story altogether. Now I own an 08 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 Hemi and a 92 Bronco with a 300 I6. I'd like to upgrade the Bronco and turn it into a true go anywhere, do anything rig but keep it conservative at the same time.

Here's a photo of the Kids.
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 162162
Hey I'm new to pirate but i frequent FSB..
I don't really wheel that much anymore, (due to lack of funds)
I have a big beautiful '95 Bronco with the 351

thats it on bolivar peninsula beach on Texas gulf coast

oh and JohnMcD, good to see someone from FSB here
vintagestrat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 162290
Looks like I came in right behind you .
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 163714
Mike Here, currently living on the East Coast but originally from Michigan. I grew up with stock Jeeps plowing through the deep winter snow and playing on the sand dunes. As I got older I fell in love with places like Moab Utah. After my most recent trip to Utah I decided to start my first hardcore build. Up to this point I've never done much more than a budget boost and 31" Tires.

My current project is turning my old 1997 E250 Van into a capable off road family vacation vehicle.

So far I've collected and rebuild a Dana 60 high pinion front, a Sterling 10.5 rear and a NV273 T Case. This weekend I'll be working on bomb proof evil looking front and rear bumpers. Over the next few months I'll be throwing all the parts together and once I have her up and running I'll start to make the interior a bit more luxurious.

You can follow my progress at http://4wheeldrivevan.com

Thanks for having me and I'm looking forward to both learning and sharing what I know with anyone willing to listen.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 166456

New guy from Pennsylvania. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I got into 4x4s when I was young with the purchase of a 1946 Willys CJ-2A. I quickly grew too tall and fat so I sold it and got a Scout.

I am currently working on a 1975 International Scout II

and a 1979 Ford F-250 that I inherited off of my grandfather.

Scout198575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 165917
I love the scout and 4x4 vans. awesome

My name is John and I live in New York. i have to go far to wheel, but also my new rig i am building is really more a Jeep TJ Expedition Vehicle. I've got a lot of work to do let to make this thing ready for a trip to drive across the country - the weather is working against me in the NE for a depature without heavy tops. Here is a pictue of it when I started and what it currently looks like:

Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 127028
Hi I'm Nick,

Dont have an expo ride yet but planning on doing a build with my 09 CTD. so far have added a 2" leveling kit 315/70-17 a/t's, custom headache rack with bed rail protectors and reward lights. front light bar w/ 3 KC daylighters and a 10k winch on a reciever wired for front and rear use. its a 6 speed manual and has a factory exhaust brake.

also have my 87 zuki that linked front on toys with 35s 5.5-1 case 5.29 gears and lockers
imagrsmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 174349
Hello everyone! I'm new to Pirate 4x4 and thought I'd stop and introduce myself in here. I have a 95 YJ I'm building, It won't hold much but I don't need much! If you are ever in Wyoming look up The Backcountry Crawlers, we'll let you try to follow us!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 174682
expedition-lite

Hi new here at pirate! recently found expo portal and now bounce back and forth. My name is Bruce an have been working on my Suzuki jlx Sport 4 door. Love the versatility of expedition vehicles and am well on my way to setting up my Billygoat to exploring and extended camping with the goal of being self reliant. its been lifted and tired, and racked and lighted. Runs like a top- and no leaks!!Got a small trailer for it and would love to get a roof tent . Lots of projects still to work on! hope to see read about other small expedition rigs here! Enjoy!

Last edited by subungal; 11-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.
subungal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 176595
Hey all, I'm new here and love the idea of an expedition rig. My current daily driver is a 4x4 diesel '88 Suburban, which I'll be building for this purpose. Hopefully I'll learn a lot here.
Inferno 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 179987
hello

hello,
my name is Keith. I'm from South Texas and I am working on a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I drove it for years with the 360 but the gas mileage was horrible so I am currently installing a Cummins 4BT/700R4/241C setup.
I have it running and when I get the bugs worked out I have plans for a 4" lift, roof tent, and some drawers or other gear for the inside.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 142001
Hi all, Clint here in California Bay Area. A little over a year and a half ago I bought myself an ’86 4Runner. It’s been a slow go do to tight budget and it is my daily driver. I have learned a lot here so far so thank you to all you guys posting up your info. and input.
Attached Images

Last edited by CJSCustoms; 04-06-2011 at 07:49 AM.
CJSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 190983
Hello everyone! My name is Ian, I'm 17 years old and live in Thousand Oaks, CA. I've been an offroad guy all my life but am recently becoming more of an expedition-oriented person. I own a 1984 land cruiser BJ60 that currently has a blown head gasket and needs a turbo rebuild. Don't get me wrong I love the truck, but with school and work I don't have enough time or money to devote into getting it reliable. But I must say it has really turned me on to expedition vehicles. I recently bought a 1988 GMC suburban that will be my project. I'll be making a build thread for it in this forum, so check that out for more info. For now, here's a pic of the 'burb.

(all those oil spots are from the LC, the 'burb doesn't leak a drop )

Nice to meet you all!

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC01181.jpg
expeditioner is offline   Reply With Quote