Expo Forum: Introduce yourself here - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 192103
hi all. newbie here. love the expedition vehicals. my project is a 1955 dodge power wagon. i'm going to swap in the cummins 4BT, build a flatbed on a custom stretched frame. and lookin at running 40'' toyo's
DeBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 186756
Red face Good afternoon

Good afternoon,

My name is Jase, I'm going after a 4year degree in diesel technology at MSU-Northern. I really want to build a expedition rig, but the bank account keeps on saying, "HELL NO." So, for now I'll hang out here get taught by the best.

Take it easy,

Jase
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by msontag03 View Post
Hey all, Mike from Phoenix AZ.

Below are a few pics of the '62 Willys CJ6 and trailer that I built. I mostly enjoyed bringing the CJ back to life from 40 years as a US Border Patrol 4cyl basket case. This included essentials such as PS, PB, V8, upgraded axles/TC/tranny, dual batt., etc.

The CJ has all the essentials to get me in and out of the back country. When done with the basics (nobody is ever done with a CJ), I put my mind to completing this M101 trailer, which I finished this past summer. Included are a few pics on a northern AZ elk hunt, worked out great.

Great to meet you all.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/msontag0...eat=directlink
Nice set up. Both the cj and trailer.
What's the paint color you used?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 197551
Hi all, Iain from Brisbane, Australia here.

I'm currently build a Unimog U1250 into an expedition truck for a "round the world" trip.

Here is a few photos of the truck "before" and more recent ones showing progress to date.

The last on is a mock up of the interior - I'm getting a boat builder to do the proper fit-out - carpentry and cabinet making is not one of my strong points.

I have a more detailed build thread is on the Unimog forum on Benzworld.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unim...r-project.html

I also own a Land Rover Defender 100 - set up for the general short 2-3 week trips.

I'm currently building the roof rack for the Unimog, and came across the very useful article on Bending 101.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 202464

Hey guys I live in Australia this is my rig we are traveling around aust. In June 2012

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-23.706543,133.877019
mint355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 203720
Hey Guys.
My names Pat and I'm currently in the lower mainland in Beautiful British Columbia! I am the proud owner of a '84 E350 that my dad gave to me.

She will be converted to a camper/ expo with part time 4x4 just as soon as we have the available cash and my dad finishes his current tour of Korea. (He contracts for the US Army/G.D.L.S. tutoring US soldiers on how to repair the Stryker in the field.)

Here she is:

And my wife owns this beautiful little '03 Jeep TJ.

Photo's were taken at Ross Lake in Washington State on Canada Day 2011.

Last edited by part270579; 11-16-2011 at 01:34 PM.
part270579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #107 (permalink)
Back in the day

Member # 162771
Hi All - Been lurking for a few years and once in a while I might contribute something. This Expedition Vehicle forum is pretty neat. Many impressive vehicles that you all have built. My DDs include a Jeep YJ, Chevy 4x4 and a Deuce. I am upgrading the electrical system of my Jeep with military components - waterproof connectors and components are good - might even convert it to 24v. Personally, I don't mind diving in to any type of project. What could go wrong?

Last edited by plym49; 01-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 209092
Hello, Cee-Jay here. I went on a multi-day off-road camping trip this September in Eastern Washington. We camped one night at the confluence of Quilomene Creek and the Columbia River and the next night at West Bar, a large natural sandy beach along the banks of the Columbia opposite of Crescent Bar.

This got me fired up to buy a 4x4 and seek adventure more often; hunting, fishing and camping with friends and family in the wilderness. I've been trolling craigslist since then looking for vehicles and hitting this site and others to explore options.

Growing up, my family had an '85 K5 Blazer with the 305. I had a mid-90's two-door S15 Jimmy for about 10 years and now we have a Mitsubishi Endeavor, which is a great value cross over but that thing would probably break in half on any sort of moderate trail. That will remain our pavment pounder and I'll pick us up a proper off-road rig.

I done a ton of reasearch over the last several months and I've pretty much settled on an 88-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy or 89-93 Ramcharger. I'm looking to build a family adventure vehicle or light overlander as opposed to a full on Rockcrawler. Think 2.5" lift, 33"s, beefy body projection, roof rack, drawers and storage, some simple strength and recovery upgrades but mostly stock. I've got a long drive to get to my expected off road spots, so comfort and safety on the pavement is important too. I love the Land Cruisers and 4 Runners but they cost more then I'm willing to spend right now.

I grew up in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC but now live in Seattle, WA with my wife and two young boys. I manage a risk management group at
a local energy company and I also run a Life & Leadership Development coaching business on the side. I like getting outside to hike, fish, hunt, barbeque, drive and just plain hang out. I enjoy adventure and I enjoy connecting with people on a deeper level... and I also like to f*ckin' party!

I'll stop now but promise to deliver 300 more pages about myself soon.

Thanks,
Cee-Jay
Cee-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 211339
Hello all,
My name is Johnny. I'm from Western North Carolina and I am working on a 1987 GMC 4x4 Sierra 3500, Type 1 Man-Bulance With Hopes of transforming it into a Expedition/Hunting vehicle. build page coming soon!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 210142
Living the dream in the Yukon. Drive a 03 Rubi with a few mods and a modded M101 that comes along behind it. Moved here from Squamish and have been exploring the east coast for 7 years and now the north for almost a year. Prior to htat it was eastern canada. Good times!
Dools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 208775
Hi everyone!
back for more abuse! had to leave AZ and the big van behind, it is now being replaced by an 87 yota 4x4 van, to be converted to.. wait for it wait for it.. a CAMPER! lol so I guess I will just keep the van name, but it describes another van lol....
ItsaVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 205942
Hi'

Just a little intro: I'm from Denmark and have been using my Suzuki Samurai for wheeling and some offroad trophys/competitions - and "expeditions" around Europe; Denmark, Germany, Poland, Chezch Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine and Romania among others.

It's a bit hardcore, no carpets, insulation or anything, but all the right stuff; OME springs/suspension, Warn 8274, rollcage, Bullbar, MT tires and so on, so its rough for vacations, but we want to be able to drive almost everywhere

A couple of pics:

Although i have stated that this is the worlds best car (it have been very reliable :-)) we have now bought a new vehicle for expeditions and hopes to make it around the Baltic Sea this summer (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and so on) and make a long trip for 3-6 months later in life.

For this purpose we have bought an ex-military Volvo TGB 13 6x6 (or Volvo C304 as civilian) and are now in the process of converting it to overlandcamper/expedition rig

you can follow the build here:
http://tgb13.raredog.dk
Raredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 228734
New guy from Iowa

Howdy Im Jayme Im from West Central Iowa and Im a tech at a John Deere dealership. Ive been four wheeling for over ten years. After the military I moved to West Virginia and then Wyoming and in both places found my love of expedition style wheeling. Ive got a love infatuation with K5's, Broncos and Ramchargers. I dont own a K5 at the moment it was sold recently. Im hoping to build a rig for some serious long distance offroading sometime soon though Im sure that will require the sale of my Nova. Hoping to make some local friends for wheelin with. Hope to get some good knowledge intake from here as well as share some stuff as well.
JWILLK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 234382
From France

hello everyone,
i ll be on my way for a mini -world tour from march on......i am a french lady painter/photographer of 62, i have a passion for wilderness which i ve discovered in outback aussie.......were i ll going back but also the southwest
national parks of US and next winter in Asia..........i am looking for a retired
partner to share whole this beauty with......
someone who loves wilderness,photography,blues,jazz will be great...
i am not sure this forum is best for world wide travelling may be you have
suggestion........suggestion also for which best 4wd camping car to live
off road in southwest us parks?????
wish you Merry chrismas
Martine

ps by the way i ve found a convoy to do the Caning Stock road if anyone
interested
freedomFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #115 (permalink)
broke ass wheeler

Member # 164750
Dave from Russellville Arkansas, i have always done what we now call expedition but back then it was just exploring .. the current rig used for that is our 85 fj60 cruiser, its been ultra reliable, and is perfect for hauling canoes,camping gear,and such.. just a few mods, OME heavies, ARB bullbar and 8274 warn, fj62 4.11 chunks and a rear auburn, with 33x10.50 KM2's but it seems about perfect for my wife, 2 golder retrievers and my self, we see dirt about every weekend. Also have a 04 TJ on tons to rock crawl with, but expedition type stuff is where my heart is, and i rarely take the jeep out anymore. i've almost sold the TJ several times to put the $$ into the cruiser and travel fund, and probably will before long.

and our TJ thats rarely used

TLCA # 6001

Last edited by slacker 24/7; 01-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
slacker 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 198862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee-Jay:13947617
Hello, Cee-Jay here. 88-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy or 89-93 Ramcharger. I

Thanks,
Cee-Jay
Hey there Cee-Jay
Only suggestion is look for an 86 or so blazer. My dad had an 86 and my mom had a 91. Same everything in options but when my dad was under them working on on them he said all the suspension components were larger/beefier on the 86 over the 91. He said it was like comparing 1-ton to a 1/2-ton. Just something ive heard.
BotterbrodtGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 250265

Hey everyone !! This is my current build and daily driver.. So far it's been a fun machine..!!
Bradzuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #118 (permalink)
Epic and private

Member # 167147
Hello from northwest Colorado. Here is my baconator so named for its tasty color and that grease fire smell as it goes by.
Attached Images

bftrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 226877
Hi from Bozeman MT

Hi, it looks like a signed up on this forum a while ago, but this my 1st post.
Brit Expat, looking to explore western regions USA, Alaska, BC, then hopefully Russia.
My daily driver is good old 92 Land Cruiser FJ80 but my big project that I will start the build thread on today is 87 Tatra T815 TP24 6x6 which is the bases of my Adventure / TrialTruck
T815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 311209
Dodge Ram 5500 chassis cab expedition vehicle. The Ottr.

Hello all,

Starting an off-road 4x4 serious expedition vehicle project. We're calling it the Ottr. 2011 Ram 5500 single cab, 144.5" wheelbase. Designing and building a composite cabin with a pop-top ala Sportsmobile.

Tossing the leaf suspension in the rear and building a coil/5 link. Extending paralell 5 link in the front. Approx. 3" lift. Continental mpt-81 335's all around.
Ottr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 311209
Ottr continued...

Dang, hit the Go button before I was done. Chose the single cab short wheel base to maintain the best off-roading capability we could given the high weight of an expedition vehicle. More details to come. Will get some pics up once we get the blog going. Looks like only way to post a pic is with a url. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.

Thanks!

D'
Ottr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 79718
Hey I'm Jared from Winnemucca NV soon to relocate to Riverton KS but before I do I'm doing an expedition build on an 84 Power Ram 150 360v8 lifted 6 inches with 33s and a 4speed manual. Trading a pair of rifles for it. I figure there are so many people out there doing the expedition thing and starting with suvs lifting them and packing them so full of crap the driver can barely fit. So why not start with a vehicle that can fit all the stuff you need and still have room. Gonna throw a ladder rack on it, buy 3 canvas tarps and ovelap them over the ladder rack so I can sleep in the bed w/o getting rained on. Will also be adding a heavy winch, a backseat for daily driving, air front seats and some e-rated general grabbers. Deffinately gonna start a build thread so I can document it and hopefully get some pointers.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 114904
this is my micro tourer/expo rig
one day i hope it will be my escape pod to tow behind something larger

Old 04-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 202663
Hey guys, long time expo lurker here. My name is Kenny and Im in Va. Appalatia is my normal playground, but my old rig has taken me to VT to ski many a time, colorado, utah, cali etc.

Its time for a new rig. This one will be doing the pan am highway in a few years. Its a WJ and will be fully, tastefully built. Ill be on here looking for advice on vehicle legalities and keeping a low profile.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 163714
Mike in Delaware. Born 1970 in Michigan. Toured the world on Uncle Sam's Visa card from 94 to 04 & visited many places that don't exist. Now just another married working stiff with two young kids who does nothing but dream about his week and a half road trip each spring usually to some place like Moab or Johnson Valley. Likes dual sport bikes, Cummins 5.9 engines, Dana 60 front axles and Allison Transmissions. I'm also a decent photographer. My dream job would be to get paid to drive around the world and shoot photos. Might audition as a videographer if Charley Boorman and that guy from Star Wars decide to shoot another travel movie...

Here's a pick of my expo rig. She ain't much to look at but I'd rather do my expo'ing in this than a Jeep and a tent any day of the week.

For starters, I don't have to set up camp every time I arrive at my destination. I've got a queen size mattress and blankets to bed down on in comfort rather than a sleeping bag on top of rocks and twigs or some stupid blow up thermarest mattress that the sleeping bag slides off as you toss and turn with your legs toes constricted in a mummy bag. The older I get, the more I like comfort.

I've got enough electricity from the solar panels and battery bank to watch movies on a 22" flat screen with surround sound all night and run a 12 volt refrigerator to keep my beer cold. LED lights inside make it as bright as daylight if I want to read a book.

Bears and Tigers can't get in to my van quickly as they can a tent.

Vans are dirt cheap. You can find something similar to mine for $2000 and I've driven this one coast to coast + over the river and through the woods (over 30,000 miles) 4 times with no issues other than an alternator going bad.

My next Expo rig may be a mid 90's Ford CF7000 cab over flatbed with a 5.9 12V Cummins, 22.5" super singles, 4x4 w/ rockwell axles and a custom built camper w/ dirtbike lift.

Last edited by 4WheelDriveVan; 05-05-2014 at 09:08 PM.
4WheelDriveVan is offline   Reply With Quote