Decent First Aid Kit? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20396
Send a message via AIM to LR Max
Decent First Aid Kit?

I needed my first aid kit this weekend (just needed a band aid) and I noticed that my first aid kit is a pile of fawk. Its been good but it is now time for a replacement.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonable first aid kit? I'm looking to cover most of the basics while having room to put in a few items I like (more band aids, some stuff for bug bites, etc). I would prefer something that is waterproof but if not I can work around it.

I'm looking for something under 50 bucks (?) if possible but I am open to more expensive options if its worth it.

Thanks ya'll.
LR Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36943
Send a message via AIM to Skerb
check these out
the hunter
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...itNO=0105-0288

ohttp://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/kit_detail.asp?series=100&seriesNav=Dom&kit=103&ki tNO=0100-0118utdoor adventure

and I saw this on the nalgene website a while back:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store...l.aspx?ID=1158

they have one for outdoor survival and auto and first aid, i thought they were pretty cool...and waterproof

Last edited by Skerb; 07-16-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I have one of these:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...bID=1&CatID=60

Very good kit for the money and excellent for anyone with a general knowledge of EMT training. It can be carried with a shoulder strap or with the included backpack straps. 6 compartments make it easy to organize and find stuff in a hurry. It folds up into a nice pack about 1' square and has plenty of extra room to add stuff and customize your kit. It's a real field medic kit so it has some stuff you probably will never use like splints, stethoscope, scalpels, etc but well worth the money for all you get. Also, it is a good idea to take an EMT class or two so you know what to do in an emergency besides just put on band-aids. You never know when you will be far from help in an emergency.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33026
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...%20aid&topnav=
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
As a paramedic, I will add my two cents here:

First aid bags are great, as long as you know how to use them. Make sure you are familiar with everything is in the bag and look into first aid training.

The biggest thing is communications and knowing where you are. If there is a bad accident, no first aid bag will help. Sat phone and GPS, or GPS and HAM radio, whatever you can do to get a good fix on yourself. Most med-vac helos can get on scene with only a GPS coords.

The only real fix for internal injuries is a trauma surgeon.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20396
Send a message via AIM to LR Max
Gavan,

I am not am EMT and I wouldn't attempt to do anything "major". However I did get ma first aid badge in the boy scouts and can treat shock . I've got communications gear out the ying yang along with GPS. If there was a severe problem I think I would have a fairly good chance at contacting the outside world.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I like those adventure ones pretty good.
LR Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Treating shock is a good thing, but recognizing shock and realizing someone needs help is much better. Alot of people don't understand the difference.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=MB027

That is the size of my personal bag.

A BP cuff and a decent stethoscope can help diagnose alot of badness.

An assortment of bandages / tape / gauze /etc will stop bleeding, make sure you have something to clean the wound to stop infection.

Saline eye wash, nox-a-sting (for beestings), ACE bandages, ice packs, etc. will help alot with comfort.

A big part of your first aid kit, especially for long trips, is your personal comfort and well being. Do you get heart burn? Bring lots of Tums. Headaches? Make sure you have plenty of your personal remedy. Contacts? Cleanser, case, second set of glasses. Take prescription drugs? Take some extra. And forgodssake, dont shove them all in the same expired drug vial. Looking at a pile of pills is a mess. If you are going to put them all in the same container, at least write down the medication, dose and expiration date.

Nothing ruins a good week/weekend like something preventable, heart burn, headache, etc.

Another big thing with first aid kits is to keep up on them. Just like your truck. You dont fill up the fluids once and expect them to last forever, your first aid kit is the same way. If you buy one and throw it in, and need it four years later, everything will be out of date, bandaids will have dried up, etc. One a year (at least), check the kit, look at your expiration dates, put in some fresh supplies and keep the older supplies for home use.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26124
Send a message via AIM to mobs Send a message via Yahoo to mobs
and unless you know what the hell you are doing with first aid.. dont do it.. youll cause more problems by doing it if you dont know..wait till help arrives.. if its bleeding apply pressure.. thats all you should do.

but if you dont know.. i think everyone should at least take a firstaid/cpr/aed/bbp class.. its mostly common sence but its needed information.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5963
walmart has a good kit for $10. it comes in a plastic case. will work with most minor injuries enough to get you to the hospital.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
walmart has a good kit for $10. it comes in a plastic case. will work with most minor injuries enough to get you to the hospital.
I almost bought a few of those $10 one the other day, looks like a decent value.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14680
Add a tube of Oralgel to your first aid kit. Seen way too many trips, outings, etc ruined and shortened by a toothache.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 76997
Get involved with a nurse. My g/f built us one HELL of a first aid kit. She used a fishing-tackle box and filled it with stuff. Even stuff to put in stitches and rolaids.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
I have one of these, though you can make one yourself for a lot cheaper I am sure. At least it was a gift

http://www.rei.com/product/708126

It came with pretty much everything I could think of but I did add a few things. So far it has come in handy many times. Its also very well constructed and accomodates a lot of stuff for its size.

Last edited by yotasmob; 07-18-2008 at 01:11 AM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 16109
I have a combat lifesaver bag in my truck. The army got one thing right when they put these bags together. Not sure where a civilian could pick one up. Maybe check your local DRMO? One thing that should be in a kit is derma-bond or super glue. Its a quick fix to seal up cut that would require a couple of stitches.
grocery getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocery getter View Post
I have a combat lifesaver bag in my truck. The army got one thing right when they put these bags together. Not sure where a civilian could pick one up. Maybe check your local DRMO? One thing that should be in a kit is derma-bond or super glue. Its a quick fix to seal up cut that would require a couple of stitches.
Ditto on the super glue. I just got back from backpacking in Glacier National Park with some friends. Two days into a 7 day trip one guy fell off a waterfall and cut his hand open to the point of visible muscle and tendons. We washed it out, added some neosporin, & super glued it shut. He was able to finish the trip and it did not get infected- mostly I think due to the glue keeping crap out.
Dusty Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 117241
Get a good first aid kit even if you don't know how to use all the stuff its still a good idea because even though you may not know how to use the stuff there may be others around that do.

Last edited by HanzoSteel; 07-28-2008 at 09:40 PM.
HanzoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 20123
we got a bunch of ricky rescues in here with scanners chasing fire trucks?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
the super glue idea is really a pretty good one. it is by itself fairly aseptic. the only diff between what you buy is some purple dye, and autoclave and about $250 for a single .5cc unit

also a medic, gavin really put the point on it. out here in az, a friend of mine was the trauma surgeon that worked on the kid in the formula toy that died a month ago. albeit his injuries may have been unrecoverable even if he had crashed next door to a trauma center, it still took over an hour just to contact some form of ems.

even as a medic, i am almost useless without thousands of dollars worth of equipment, when it comes to trauma, getting a pt into the hands of a surgeon, is truly paramount. ham radio, even if used "illegally" is a much better bet. you can have another ham with a phone line relay your gps location and done.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastLax View Post
we got a bunch of ricky rescues in here with scanners chasing fire trucks?
uhh what?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19330
Send a message via AIM to dan58
Check the misc section here. Someone was selling kits for a darn good price. They have all sorts of stuff in them. My club bought a slew of them.
Be sure to take sting kill swabs. Those things are (literally) life savers.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Just a note, I don't believe that using a Amateur Radio (HAM) in an emergency is illegal. Just state the nature of your emergency and as much info as you can provide. I never actually tested to get my license, but in my studies for the testing I seem to remember a lot of stuff on HAM use during emergencies. I don't think any of the good people who operate a HAM station or the FCC would care if someone without a license was using a radio to get help. I think they would do whatever they can to help out.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 107089
If you have an old ammo can those are water tight. Then fill it based on your trip so you have fresh gear everytime you go out. No dried bandages or expired meds.
boom harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 47848
Look around in the Rubicon section of this site. In the past there have been many threads regarding first aid kits, trama kits, training, communication and liability.
Personally my bag is stocked with things I have put in there. Some outfits sell individual items that work really well, like bloodclot. Biggest thing is that you have a kit with you, let others know where it is and you know how to use it. On another note, sometimes it is better to have too much stuff. Chances are there is someone at the scene that knows more than you but doesn't have the supplies, I wouldn't rely on this though.

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Just a note, I don't believe that using a Amateur Radio (HAM) in an emergency is illegal. Just state the nature of your emergency and as much info as you can provide. I never actually tested to get my license, but in my studies for the testing I seem to remember a lot of stuff on HAM use during emergencies. I don't think any of the good people who operate a HAM station or the FCC would care if someone without a license was using a radio to get help. I think they would do whatever they can to help out.
It is NOT illegal. Check out the threads as mentioned above, in the Rubicon section. If you're going out into the back country it is a good idea to have some who is set up. Personally I do not have one nor do the people I travel with. It is a great way to connect directly to emergency personel. A plus would be a good GPS or map to give exact locations and possible know LZ's.

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1565
Do not forget 'Imodium', Pepto Bismo and baby wipes or you WILL live to regret not doing so. Don't ask me how I know.