Destination information sources - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 116065
Destination information sources

Hey guys-

I've a newbie question for you. It's not serious Expedition, but I figure here is a better place to ask then the wheel and go home crowd.

I'm trying to find the tool(s) that will let me help myself. The Ultimate East Coast ExPo info thread is great, and I'm trying to find a more comprehensive source.

So here's the current question, I'm trying to plan a fishing trip to Canada (Ontario hopefully) for myself and some of my buddies, to go somewhere remote enough that we won't see anyone else, and somewhere you need a 4x4 to get to. When I Google for "Canada 4x4 fishing" or "Canada 4wd camping" I never really get any useful information. Looking through Canadian national/provincial park websites, they often don't mention anything about OHV use, even though I might see a reference to it elsewhere on the web. The US park websites tend to do the same thing, including those listed in the East Coast ExPo thread.

So, it'd sure be nice if someone told me where to go fishing, but I'd rather have the tools to be able to answer the questions for myself. Anyone have book recommendations? A source of public land and use designations? I'm not really interested in pissing anyone off or getting chased of private property.

How do you usually plan a trip/find a destination etc?

Thanks
Hypoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 53453
A reasonable amount of canada is mapped by 'Backroad Mapbook'. They're simply books of maps, covering an entire region. The maps were based off who knows what, but are fairly detailed. They show all of the mapped FSRs, all parks, almost everywhere that is identified as a campsite, and popular recreation sites (fishing, hiking, sledding, etc). They're also topographical, which is the real fun.

Never trust them though. They mark paved roads as gravel, and gravel roads that have long been deactivated and are basically no more.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 116065
Cool, thanks man.

Anyone else? Ever look at a map and think "That looks remote. I want to go there but not piss anyone off."? Aside from not being a jerk, how do you plan your trips?
Hypoid is offline   Reply With Quote