Newb: Wheeler Wanting Go On Expedition - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32704
Send a message via Yahoo to Stowe
Newb: Wheeler Wanting Go On Expedition

My '89 Jeep Wrangler is set-up for wheeling... and a friend from one of our local forums is trying to get an 'Expedtion' together to explore West Virginia. The goal is 2 to 3 weeks - as many non-paved roads as possible.

What type of things should I look into to making my Jeep better for the expedtion type of "wheeling"?

It is currently running V8, auto trans, twin stick t-case, front and rear ARB's, chromoly shafts, disc brakes all around, skids, lights, cage, suspension seats, custom dash... extra cooling fans for power steering and tranny. Gas mileage is horriable, but am going to take it to a mustang shop to get the computer dialed in for more economical power band. and on 35" baja Claws.

I also do not have heat or A/C and thining of replacing the muffler with somethiing a little more quiet.

I am thinking of getting some sort of trailer to pull. I would like to store all of the gear. Gas, water, food & supplies.

Helpful hints would be great... I am new to this type of world.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44006
sell it. and buy a first gen 4runner. seriously.

4runners attributes:
-reliable
-85's had solid axle front
-24-28mpg
-great wheeler with 31-33" tire
-lots of aftermarket
-you can build a false floor/sleeping platform that will sleep two people or one person and a dog.

thats what i would do. depending on the terrain, you trip is going to be much more fun in a mild rig. that is equally as good on the highway as on the trail.

my .02...

p.s. im not slamming jeeps, i have an LJ wrangler.It is setup for overlanding with 31" tires, a cargo shelf in the back, roof rack storage and sliders, so far. it is a GREAT trail rig, AND it is DD'd every day to work.
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 118152
I would say get the heater working first. Second get a roof rack to store equipment, and possibly a couple Jerry Cans for added fuel to increase your range. Just do the best you can with what you have. Just go for it, and the next trip you'll have a better idea of what you will and will not need.
j14kelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by j14kelly View Post
I would say get the heater working first. Second get a roof rack to store equipment, and possibly a couple Jerry Cans for added fuel to increase your range. Just do the best you can with what you have. Just go for it, and the next trip you'll have a better idea of what you will and will not need.
my thoughts exactly, work with what you have. sounds like the new tires and tune will help witht he MPG, just take a bunch of gas cans.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 32704
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1232003 View Post
sell it. and buy a first gen 4runner. seriously.

4runners attributes:
-reliable
-85's had solid axle front
-24-28mpg
-great wheeler with 31-33" tire
-lots of aftermarket
-you can build a false floor/sleeping platform that will sleep two people or one person and a dog.

thats what i would do. depending on the terrain, you trip is going to be much more fun in a mild rig. that is equally as good on the highway as on the trail.

my .02...

p.s. im not slamming jeeps, i have an LJ wrangler.It is setup for overlanding with 31" tires, a cargo shelf in the back, roof rack storage and sliders, so far. it is a GREAT trail rig, AND it is DD'd every day to work.
haha... not in this life time bud. It might have its outstanding qualities... but I think the wife would divorce me if I sold my Wrangler.

[imghttp://jvillejeepers.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10004/normal_P1020482.JPG[/img]
[imghttp://jvillejeepers.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10004/normal_P1020074.JPG[/img]

Plus, I know my Jeep inside and out and know I can fix just about anything on the Jeep that may break.

I have toyed with the idea of turning the Grand Cherokee into an 'expedition' rig, but the wife said no. Use what you have.

My only concerns with changing my tires, is the possible terrian. dirt, clay, rock, mud, trees.... AT's don't do so well in muddy clay.

I will definetly get the heat working again - even though I get alot of heat through the fire wall and trans hump.

What do you think of some of the off road trailers that are out there?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 56256

fixed your pics

off road trailors=teh shit!
Java is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1479
A lot of folks (and I'm one of them) go on the idea that stock with little modifications = more reliable, and easier to get parts for when stuff does break.
When you're 1000 miles from home, and far away from any major city centers it will be difficult to get replacement parts on heavily modified rigs. Chromo shafts like you have aren't stocked at your average mechanic's or junk yard.

But!!! It really depends on what you want to do with your rig, and how far away from civilization your trips take you and your family.
To me, a Wrangler is just too small of a vehicle to carry the gear that i would need/want to take on a lengthy trip. The offroad trailers that are out there are getting better all the time, and the ones i've seen (Adventure Trailers etc.) are pretty cool.
They would definitely add to your overall carrying capacity.
I also like the idea of the trailers for their ability to be setup and removed from the vehicle. The rooftop tents that are out there must be dismantled when you want to drive the vehicle.
If you are camping in one spot for a few nights, this would turn into a pain in the ass having to take down the tent every time you want to drive somewhere to grab something...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowe View Post

I also do not have heat or A/C and thining of replacing the muffler with somethiing a little more quiet.

I am thinking of getting some sort of trailer to pull. I would like to store all of the gear. Gas, water, food & supplies.

Helpful hints would be great... I am new to this type of world.
Do the muffler swap,it will be so much easier doing hours behind the wheel.

Im with the others,try and do a trip with just a vehicle,no trailer.
Its amazing how much you can sqirrel away if you put some thought into it.

In the future ,if you are still doing these kind of trips ,your thoughts will turn to more suitable vehicles like an 80 series landcruiser

And get a good fridge. There is nothing like cold drinks and snacks miles from anywhere
Volvo 740 GL;)
roscoFJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 32704
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoFJ73 View Post
Do the muffler swap,it will be so much easier doing hours behind the wheel.

Im with the others,try and do a trip with just a vehicle,no trailer.
Its amazing how much you can sqirrel away if you put some thought into it.

In the future ,if you are still doing these kind of trips ,your thoughts will turn to more suitable vehicles like an 80 series landcruiser

And get a good fridge. There is nothing like cold drinks and snacks miles from anywhere

My thinking of doing the trailer was not only would it just be real annoying to my wife (j/K)... but there is going to be times that both kids and the wife will be on the trip too - plus there are some Black rated trails in some areas that I know I wouldn't be able to pass up and it would be a lot safer to undo the trailer, run the trail and then hook back up.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 33536
show me a first gen 4runner that gets 28mpg and i will buy it right now for cash... you are smokin' some good shit..

maybe with a 2LT, 3.42s and 28's......maybe....
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowe View Post
My thinking of doing the trailer was not only would it just be real annoying to my wife (j/K)... but there is going to be times that both kids and the wife will be on the trip too - plus there are some Black rated trails in some areas that I know I wouldn't be able to pass up and it would be a lot safer to undo the trailer, run the trail and then hook back up.
If you have the wife and kids along in a SWB vehicle,then the trailer is compulsory.

If the trailer annoys the wife,a bigger rig is getting closer
Volvo 740 GL;)

Last edited by roscoFJ73; 10-10-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 39726
Ive driven my 99' TJ across country four times and many times basicly used it for "expedition" type stuff.However,it is built for rockcrawling and at the end of the day you just want to scream because it simply wasnt built around that.

Now,i have an 06 Unlimited stock with the AEV highline kit and 33's.Bumpers and a winch and it will handle most situations you'd run into on an "expedition"(here in the states) and your not wore out at the end of the day.
forsakenfuture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenfuture View Post
Ive driven my 99' TJ across country four times and many times basicly used it for "expedition" type stuff.However,it is built for rockcrawling and at the end of the day you just want to scream because it simply wasnt built around that.

Now,i have an 06 Unlimited stock with the AEV highline kit and 33's.Bumpers and a winch and it will handle most situations you'd run into on an "expedition"(here in the states) and your not wore out at the end of the day.
Too true. You cant spend long hours fighting the wheel with an engine roaring in your ears and wondering if you are gonna make it around the next bend
Volvo 740 GL;)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.