newst expedition member, have some questions(newbie questions...) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 118843
newst expedition member, have some questions(newbie questions...)

hey guys. i'm 17 turning 18, and i'm planing on buying my next project here in a couple months and will be posting up build threads as well. this will also be my daily driver as well. but i'm going to a dealership and getting a used suv/truck. and was curoius what in ur guys opinion are are good all around 4x4?i'm leaning towards a tacoma, so i can use it for work as well.

some questions

1.) should i go with IFS or a solid axel?
2.)are 33's good enough or are 35 the perfect blend for multiple terrian?
3.)with regearing or mods, what engines are best to work with, 4 cyclenders, striahgt 6 or v6 or v8 ir diesels?

just trying to get a good fondation to work with. i wont be beating this to hell like a rockcrawler or mudd booger, of course things will/could break. but just want a general opinions of favoriet rigs and setups. thanks!!! i'm a mechanic so for trade of services i guess if u got any questions for diognestis or troubel shooting or anyhting let me know!
johncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33536
I will attempt to save you a flaming since you are new and relatively young. There is TONS and TONS of information on this board and expeditionportal.com.

Spend LOTS of time reading these forums and educating your self. Almost EVERY question you can think of has been asked already at least 400 times.

Search around for info on the different trucks you are interested in and then look for DIY threads, fixes, hacks, etc or look for good vendors to do work or buy parts from if you have the cash.

People here are helpful, but there is a LOT of info here already and you need to do some reading, especially the FAQ sections, familiarise your self with the site how it works, what the rules are, etc.

Since you are young, you would well served by doing your research before making a purchase, unless you have a large budget (trust fund, parents, lottery, etc) you are probably like a lot of people are and budgeting their build as they have time and funds.

it is nagging and nit picky, but learn to spell and use proper grammar, it goes a long way in getting your post answered with usable info and not getting your ass flamed off.

welcome to hell..
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 117075
Here is some friendly advice from someone who has learned from his mistakes. SLOW DOWN a little bit. You don't even own a truck yet and you're lifting it and swapping axles.

A Tacoma is a great truck as a platform for most anything. Whatever you get, instead of spending paycheck after paycheck modding it spend some time and money using it the way you think you want to (camping, 4wheeling). This will show you first hand what needs improving or upgrading. Then research the forums to find the best way to do it.

The best 1st mod you can do is a good set of tires that match the intended use. I personally think you can't go wrong with BFG ATs for DD/weekend warrior type rigs. You can go larger than stock, but I wouldn't recommend the "largest that will fit". You'll be suprised where a stock rig can go. Use it and have fun, but don't turn it into a money pit.

Last edited by bronconite; 11-11-2008 at 06:05 AM.
bronconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85blue4runner View Post

familiarise your self with the site how it works,

it is nagging and nit picky, but learn to spell and use proper grammar, it goes a long way in getting your post answered with usable info and not getting your ass flamed off.
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconite View Post

SLOW DOWN a little bit. You don't even own a truck yet and you're lifting it and swapping axles.

Whatever you get, instead of spending paycheck after paycheck modding it spend some time and money using it the way you think you want to (camping, 4wheeling). This will show you first hand what needs improving or upgrading. Then research the forums to find the best way to do it.

The best 1st mod you can do is a good set of tires that match the intended use. I wouldn't recommend the "largest that will fit". You'll be suprised where a stock rig can go. Use it and have fun, but don't turn it into a money pit.
X2
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 118843
Talking

okay thanks guys for the tips/advice. Ya i got to admit i need to chill out and research and take some time. i'm just excited in my new hoby i found. so before i ask questions or anything i will take time and search the web and forums. i noticed pirate4x4 is...fluid compare to other forums, witch in my point is good, theres nothing wrong with people being assholes or straight up honest, thats how shit get done around here,hahaha
johncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86553
you know how much this stuff costs? granted i'm young now (21), but theres absolutely no way i could afford this stuff when i was 17/18 years old.
find a good platform now and drive it for a few years. stay in school and get a good job. build it when you can afford to build it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
You should have licked her asshole.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncj View Post
hey guys. i'm 17 turning 18, and i'm planing on buying my next project here in a couple months and will be posting up build threads as well. this will also be my daily driver as well. but i'm going to a dealership and getting a used suv/truck. and was curoius what in ur guys opinion are are good all around 4x4?i'm leaning towards a tacoma, so i can use it for work as well.

some questions

1.) should i go with IFS or a solid axel?
2.)are 33's good enough or are 35 the perfect blend for multiple terrian?
3.)with regearing or mods, what engines are best to work with, 4 cyclenders, striahgt 6 or v6 or v8 ir diesels?

just trying to get a good fondation to work with. i wont be beating this to hell like a rockcrawler or mudd booger, of course things will/could break. but just want a general opinions of favoriet rigs and setups. thanks!!! i'm a mechanic so for trade of services i guess if u got any questions for diognestis or troubel shooting or anyhting let me know!
I would advise you to start with an 80 series landcruiser,93- would be best.
They are getting cheap now and many will have the extras you want already fitted.
Volvo 740 GL;)
roscoFJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 111157
Read lots here...
expeditionportal.com forums
ih8mud.com if you are thinking toyotas...

Tacoma or 80 series Land Cruisers are great I agree....

Do like others have said...
Get a stocker and use it to learn what you need...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 37934
Im 18 turning 19 and looking to build an expo vehicle aswell. Im wanting to do a trip up to the arctic circle, through nw territorys and nunavut then back down to vancouver. Im gona be starting to equip my truck pretty quick. Its an 08 tacoma double cab longbox. I would definitely recommend an 05+ tacoma. They are super comfy for long drives, reliable, not horrible on gas, plus if you get the trd sport edition like i have then you get the ac plug-in in the bed. Just add a 3" coilover setup, 33" tires (minor trimming needed) and it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
whatever you end up getting, wheel it stock for a while. its far more valuable to have the knowledge of how to drive your stock vehicle, than to have the $$$ to throw into the truck to make up for the lack of experience and/or skill.

by the time you get a hang of your vehicle, you'll realize that you wont need 35's to get where you want to go, maybe some 33's or even the right 31's will do just fine.

IFS vs. solid axles is another one; if you were to build a crawler, then yea you'd want to go with a solid axle, but if you're going to be spending alot of time in the backcountry on this rig, a well designed and stoutly built IFS will do just fine. hell, look at the baja trucks out there; they go through the harshest environments known to man-kind at 100+ mph with IFS. Some of the buggies are IFS/IRS, and do just as well.

so slow down, do your research, and ENJOY IT. this isn't a competition, unless it's a 'he who has the most fun wins' kinda thing