Jeep GC or Xterra - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52752
Jeep GC or Xterra

Here is my dilemma...

I have found overland diesel jeep grand cherokees used for about the same price as a new xterra fully loaded. I don't know which one to get.

Jeep Pros -
- Diesels rock!!!
- Plush interior, great seats for road tripping
- QDII

Jeep Cons -
- The diesel is from europe and i used to own a rover and the repair bills still haunt me
- Would be buying a used truck vs new. it saves money but is there a reason the previous owner dumped it?
- I have to admit that Chrysler being in the shape its in currently is also a reason to be leary for me. I seriously doubt Jeep is going anywhere but how easy will maintenance be to find?
- There don't seem to be as many mods out for these as other jeeps. possibly because its newer, idk.

Xterra Pros -
- It's new so I can order it just how I want, love the manual
- Nissan hold resale better than Jeeps do
- I do like the seats due to the fact they can be cleaned with Clorox wipes
- There are more suspension mods, and the like for these

Xterra Cons -
- No where near as nice on the inside as the jeep, but I have kids and dogs...
- Its ride is much rougher than the jeep in stock form, which will be staying that way for probably 9 mo to a year.

I'm just looking for opinions on what you would do in this situation. This will be my daily driver, light off road, hunting, stuff like that. I put this in here because I build my DD vehicles more like Expo rigs.

thx for the input.
micky
bowtied_micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 53184
I'd like to say go jeep, but with the Diesel, I can't. That engine was horrible.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5963
jeep.

i have a commander. i beat the crap out of it. the GC's are the same platform, just different body.

you can pick up a cheap lift 2" spacer for ~$200 or go with the OME 2" lift for ~$800.

i have OME springs up front. they are very nice.

you can pick up a set of 255/75/17 tires, BFG mud Terrains for $90 each at Tire Rack.com

I don't have the diesel, but i think they cost $125 / oil change, and use MB oil. they have an MB diesel as well. but they do get excellent mileage compared to the gas motors. i get 18 on the highway with mine, i have the 4.7 V8. and since you are getting the Diesel, it comes with the Quadra Drive 2 4x4 system. it works very well. you will not need to upgrade to lockers.

i'd say go with a V8 gas motor. Get the hemi. Skip on the Diesel.

just my opinions. after i pay off my commander, i'll pick up a GC Hemi and wheel the crap out of it too.

Last edited by miniyota; 01-24-2009 at 09:26 AM.
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43861
the diesel in the jeep is an excellent motor. It is hands down better than the italian diesel in the liberty. As stated, the motor is a MB; i believe it is the OM642. I love the motor, it is quiet and very powerful. A con of the motor is the potential for costly future repair bills, but this is the case with all diesel engines. Parts and service for this motor will continue regardless of the future of chrysler as Benz will continue to service it....and in my opinion, it appears that the jeep techs have no idea what they are working on when they see the diesel.

Oil changes can be a bit costly, but the prices have come down considerably. My first oil change was $120 (oil and filter ordered online). I just did another change this past weekend and it is down to $85 dollars. The oil is just now making it's way into auto parts stores; it requires oil that carries the MB 229.51 oil approval. You won't find it everywhere and it is a bit more expensive (around $7 per quart). The engine takes 10 quarts of oil. The recommended oil change interval is 12500 for "normal" use and 6250 for severe duty. I change my oil every 7500 miles so it is about even with everyone doing 3k mile changes.

the only other thing needed is a ProVent crank case filter.

I love my diesel and am very happy with it.
johnniebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67835
The 3l diesel his the same engine found in the 2007 up sprinter. We have a couple of dicom sprinter that come at the shop and one of them is just near the 600 000km mark but i doubt it will get there, the body is falling appart. Yes they have had injector trouble with it around 450 000km and they cost an arm but other then that and the routine maintenance they have had no real mechanical trouble.

P.s. Im sorry to say that johnniebravo is right when it comes to jeep mechanic working on those but if you find a shop that is use to work on sprinter and mercedes mechanic then youll be fine.
atila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 88570
Send a message via Yahoo to TurboNerd
One of the biggest advantages of diesel is it's longevity (if you do research, and find a diesel that doesn't crap out a lot). Sounds like you enjoy newish vehicles, and turn them over quickly - negating the biggest benefit of diesel (some of my friends are turning 300,00-400,000 miles on theirs).

Suspensions will work well on, or off road. You have to decide which you'll want to be more comfortable on. To be completely honest with you - I believe buying a brand new vehicle is foolish anyway. Get 2 used vehicles: one with good mileage for DD, and one for off-roading. Vehicles that have been around for a couple years have already taken their biggest depreciation hits. Also - it's easier to measure the reliability of a vehicle that's been out vs one that's incorporating new technology. But hey - that's just me.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41557
Take the Xterra. Trust me! PM me where I can find that jeep!

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623057"]Official Cummins Suburban Expedition Build.[/URL]
Cummins/6speed/HP 60
Colorado Ron is offline   Reply With Quote