I have a 4x4 subaru... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 44006
I have a 4x4 subaru...

That I'd love to take some trips in. It's a different approach than your usual rig.

If it were your daily driver (as it is mine, 25miles each way) that you wanted to prep for overlanding, what would you do?

here's the specs

1981 Subaru GL wagon
4x4 w/ lo range
stock carbed 4-banger (that runs like a top)
4 speed manual(shifts great)

It has a strong drip rail for mounting thule bars or the feet of an expo rack, so i was considering the mule or mega mule from bajaracks.com.

The spare is stored under the hood, but I thought if i moved the spare out from under the bonnet, I'd have room for a custom sized/made tool box, that i could store the bulk of my handtools in.

I have a wedco 5gal non-carb jerry can, with plans to find another, as well as an ex-mil 5gal plastic water can, which i plan on adding to, unless i figure out some sort of water bladder between the front and rear seats.

BTW, my two kids come on safari with us, so the rear seat is reserved for them...

Also, I have tow eyes front and rear, but I'd like some better tow points, and maybe even, gasp, a front mounted winch. Maybe a short drum.

So here's the list so far

Tow Points
CB radio
Roll cage/Lightweight exo?
Roof storage
Rear storage
water bladder/tank
upgrade tires
upgrade suspension?
winch mount/bullbar
offroad lights

Last edited by kodiak1232003; 01-27-2009 at 08:22 PM.
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Here's some pics...

This was taken @ fiesta Island in san diego where the terrain ranges from hardpack to very soft sand. All i did was point the subie where i wanted it
to go, and had no problems.

Here's the rear storage I have to work with. I'd think a cooler on one side, and some custom storage boxes on the other.

this is where the spare lives, where I'd consider the toolbox(es)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 95754
Jealous!

You will love that car. I'd tell you that a five speed would be a good swap, but with all your gear and all terrain tires you wouldn't be able to use it (no power) enough to justify the overdrive.

Check out http://www.hatchpatrol.com/ for some trail worthy upgrade ideas. Also find a full size spare tire (or two) to replace the donut--it's a must. You can gain over an inch of lift by cranking the front strut bolts up. You will need an alignment afterwards but it's worth it for the extra clearance for tires.

You will need new front CV's soon (can be changed in less than 15 min once you get good at it), but keep in mind that both sides are identical so you can just buy one and warrantee the other later if your dis-honest like me .

Turbo models came with limited slips too--they should fit your car front and rear.

EDIT: Check for more than one factory fuel filter... Serious. Mine came with one under the hood but also had one right in front of the fuel tank it caught me off guard in the worst of places

Last edited by Rot Box; 01-27-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Rot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot Box View Post
Jealous!

You will love that car. I'd tell you that a five speed would be a good swap, but with all your gear and all terrain tires you wouldn't be able to use it (no power) enough to justify the overdrive.

Check out http://www.hatchpatrol.com/ for some trail worthy upgrade ideas. Also find a full size spare tire (or two) to replace the donut--it's a must. You can gain over an inch of lift by cranking the front strut bolts up. You will need an alignment afterwards but it's worth it for the extra clearance for tires.

You will need new front CV's soon (can be changed in less than 15 min once you get good at it), but keep in mind that both sides are identical so you can just buy one and warrantee the other later if your dis-honest like me .

thanks for the great info. actually i just spent the coin on two NEW not reman'd front axles, and new lower ball joints.

Both were shot after 27 years.

I figure i can probably get 5-10 years on the ball joints, and mebbe 2-3 on the axles...seem about right? My mechanic said the ball joints aren't a wear item, and that it was just their time, thusly i shouldn't have to do them again anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot Box View Post
Jealous!

Turbo models came with limited slips too--they should fit your car front and rear.

EDIT: Check for more than one factory fuel filter... Serious. Mine came with one under the hood but also had one right in front of the fuel tank it caught me off guard in the worst of places

understood on the fuel filters. The reason for the toolbox idea is just as you say, I need a real spare!..lol. I figured once i had a proper one, it wouldn't fit in the engine compartment, nor would i want a fresh tire in all that heat
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 95754
Yep garanteed that's the last time you will have to install ball joints

You have or will soon have an exhaust leak right under the engine on the Y-pipe/cat somewhere. If you passed smog your probably okay, but replacing the Y-pipe/cat converter is a good idea, and also-at the same time- installing a mesh (flexy type don't know what it's called ) exhaust pipe on one of the header down pipes works great. The engine heats up and cools a lot, and one of the two pipes end up cracking... If that all makes sense

Also the valve cover gaskets get old and brittle over time. Once they start to leak it will end up dripping right onto the exhaust and it really makes a stink.

That's all I can really think of at the moment... Those are the common problem area's, but in all honesty these are probably in the top 5 most reliable and easy to work on cars of all time--300K on stock powertrain will come easy without neglect

Last edited by Rot Box; 01-27-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Rot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5963
i learned to drive on an 81 Scooby. it was a 5 speed, and had 250K miles when we sold it. great little cars. i remember my mother slid off the road in winter with it, a bunch of guys stopped to help her out, she told them to move out of the way, dropped it in 4 low and was back out of the ditch.

pretty cool little cars and they get decent mileage.

Last edited by miniyota; 01-28-2009 at 05:29 AM.
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
I had a couple of those growing up. Still one of my favorite cars. Was a beast in the winter with studs all around and the suspension jacked up (fawk camber!). Good looking ride!

Saddle soap the CV boots for longevity.

I'm jealous!

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44006
speaking of the cv's is it normal for the grease to coagulate overnight? I swear when i start up in the morning and turn, it sounds like a bag of marbles still...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22851
4th is OD on the 4sp d/r i believe. the 5sp has better ratios than the 4sp, is stronger, and a slightly lower crawl ratio i think. it would be worthwhile. a friend of mine 5sp swapped his ea81 several years ago, i think you would need to shorten the driveshaft and build a custom crossmember.
since your drivetrain is already in good shape run it. the pushrod ea81 is very reliable albeit slow. take care of it and it will last a long time.
-2" exhaust
-4" lift
-lsd rear diff
-drill hubs for 6 lug toyota wheels
-27" AT's
-skidplate covering the exhaust manifolds and oil pan
-tube bumpers and more metal here and there if you want
-spare axles
-if you dont carry passengers day to day, set up the interior with storage and sleeping platform

down the road you could think about an ej22 swap- 135hp stock(fast in that car), mid 30mpg's, very reliable.

some inspiration
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=92987

Last edited by W.O.T.; 01-28-2009 at 04:04 PM.
W.O.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.O.T. View Post
4th is OD on the 4sp d/r i believe. the 5sp has better ratios than the 4sp, is stronger, and a slightly lower crawl ratio i think. it would be worthwhile. a friend of mine 5sp swapped his ea81 several years ago, i think you would need to shorten the driveshaft and build a custom crossmember.
since your drivetrain is already in good shape run it. the pushrod ea81 is very reliable albeit slow. take care of it and it will last a long time.
-2" exhaust
-4" lift
-lsd rear diff
-drill hubs for 6 lug toyota wheels
-27" AT's
-skidplate covering the exhaust manifolds and oil pan
-tube bumpers and more metal here and there if you want
-spare axles
-if you dont carry passengers day to day, set up the interior with storage and sleeping platform

down the road you could think about an ej22 swap- 135hp stock(fast in that car), mid 30mpg's, very reliable.

some inspiration
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=92987

yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of k.i.s.s. and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'll probably run the current tranny for a long while. it does 70 just fine getting 26mpg, so I'm happy! Nice info on the ej22 swap, though..

It has a factory skid over the oil pan...but i do need one for the tranny pan. Whats cool is that the exhaust is run below the drive shaft and itself has a skid, so it'll scrape and take a good hit before the shaft does. good design, IMO.

I like the idea of running 16" toyota wheels cuz then i could find some nice thin metric tires or even NDT's if'n I'm crazy enough..lol.

What could be done to ensure solid extraction points?

subframe?
long multi-fastened bumper horns?
tie bumper mounts to sliders/hitch steel rocker replacements/etc...?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 22851
i would build a tube bumper and attach it to as many points as you can on the shell, like the bumper mounts, maybe put some angle iron on the front lower core support and use that too. the stock skid plate is not very strong so you might want to incorporate a stronger one into your bumper. the headers are kind of vulnerable too.

check out what some of the rigs in that link are running for recovery points with a stock bumper.

Last edited by W.O.T.; 01-29-2009 at 04:04 PM.
W.O.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.O.T. View Post
i would build a tube bumper and attach it to as many points as you can on the shell, like the bumper mounts, maybe put some angle iron on the front lower core support and use that too. the stock skid plate is not very strong so you might want to incorporate a stronger one into your bumper. the headers are kind of vulnerable too.

check out what some of the rigs in that link are running for recovery points with a stock bumper.
yeah, i pored over the thread last night. nice stuff. I'll post up some of my
drawings.

scan didn't come out as well as i'd hoped, but you get the general idea. Obviously bumpers would try to maximize clearance, but I'd really like them full width with roo-bar style uprights. I'd like a winch box up front, and taillight guards in the rear.

they'd all tie into the the slider supports for strength so that rear pulls or front pulls would use the other componants for strength, too.

Last edited by kodiak1232003; 01-29-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 69243
Check out the Offroad section of the Ultimate Subaru Message Board

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...splay.php?f=30
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 44006
yup, thanks I'm on there all the time.

Stay tuned. We made a trip out through coyote canyon for some exploring and wildflower photo's.

I'll post up the video/photo job, that I'm compiling right now, shortly.

Subaru didn't miss a beat, and kept up with my dad's FZJ80 perfectly.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Here's a video from a few weeks ago when my dad and my family and I went out to the desert. We were testing some fixes to the fuel system, so we had all our tools and out fingers crossed. lol. The subie made it there and back just fine.

Last edited by kodiak1232003; 03-26-2009 at 07:35 PM.