self inflating orair mattress? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 68649
self inflating orair mattress?

I recently bought a double bed self inflating mattress to fit inside the flip top roof tent I'm building for my short wheelbase LandRover. I mistakenly chose the self inflater thinking it would be more practical because I wouldn't require an air pump to inflate it and it would be less susceptible to punctures.. Although it is comfortable, without a half decent vacuum cleaner to suck the air out it takes forever to deflate it enough to roll up and fit in its storage bag, and even then it is relatively heavy and takes up about 30% of the storage area in the back of my vehicle. My question is, would an inflatable mattress sitting directly on a metal platform(the hinged,flipped over aluminium roof lid panel of my LandRover) transfer too much cold when compared to the self inflator? We're in summer over here currently so it will be awhile before i can try it out.
Cheers

Last edited by Agrover; 03-11-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Agrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17912
So are you sucking the air out with your mouth? I use a 2.5 inch self inflating pad and it is no problem to get the air out by rolling/folding it toward the valve.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrover View Post
My question is, would an inflatable mattress sitting directly on a metal platform(the hinged,flipped over aluminium roof lid panel of my LandRover) transfer too much cold when compared to the self inflator? We're in summer over here currently so it will be awhile before i can try it out.
Cheers
In general ,I would say it will be too cold. You can either slip something underneath like an old blanket or on top of the mattress.
Volvo 740 GL;)
roscoFJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Why do you need to manually deflate the mattress if it's for your rooftop tent? I have a tent-cot with a pair of self-inflating 2.5 inch thick air mattresses in it, and I simply open the valves and fold up the tent-cot with the mattresses still in it.

Can you not do the same thing?
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1479
I would suggest putting a sheet of canvas (or similar) between the mattress and the metal floor, regardless of what mattress you end up with. It will help prevent heat transfer, but also protect your mattress from damage due to friction.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
I've had a couple people ask me about the mattresses I'm using. In the interest of helping everyone, here are the mattresses I bought:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=535953

This is also where I bought my tent cot from, which turned out to be the best price I could find:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=445906
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Limey

Member # 126030
Hi Bill

I use a couple of standard 9mm closed cell insulated mats under the air mattress. It seems to work well enough.

Slightly off topic but have you seen this...

expeditionlandrover.info
hoggyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17912
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggyn View Post
Hi Bill

I use a couple of standard 9mm closed cell insulated mats under the air mattress. It seems to work well enough.

Slightly off topic but have you seen this...

expeditionlandrover.info
Cool... It's like a VW camper bus... but with four wheel drive n stuff.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrover View Post
...mattress to fit inside the flip top roof tent I'm building ...
Cheers
How about some pics of the build. I'd love to see how you are doing it.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
They are more expensive than what you have, but go with a self inflater made by thermarest. We typically use them for backpacking and the like, but they make heavier and thicker ones if you can carry the weight. A couple breaths in the valve will bring it to full thickness and the insulation in these is great. Plus, all you do is open the valve and roll toward it. I think they even have double ones. Google it and you'll see.... backpackers swear by them and I love mine.
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 68649
Thanks for the replies gents. Mines a 4'' thick so called 4x4 mattress not a backpacker 2.5'' and it's an absolute dog to deflate and roll up, even with a 12 volt inflator/deflator. I had originally intended for it to be permanently fitted to the roof lid ready for use but it takes so long to deflate that breaking camp is not the quick easy operation I had hoped. In a normal LandRover roof lid the Mattress wouldn't really need to be deflated fully,but because this is also a serious offroader with portals,gears, suspension etc I sectioned the roof lid 2 3/4'' to lower the profile for clearance under trees etc and if the mattress is kept in place it seriously restricts headroom for the single rear seat passenger. I've since purchased an air inflatable mattress that is slim enough when deflated to stay in the roof lid.When inflated it's a bit cumbersome to slide in and out of with only a 2'6'' high tent above it.
My flip top roof is different to the one pictured in that only 2/3rds of the length of the roof lid swings up and over 180 degrees to provide a platform for the mattress.The end of the platform is supported with struts that swing up from the front bullbar. Once the tent is erected it gives and undercover area of approx 10' 4'' long by 4' 2'' wide with stand up room in the rear for preparing meals etc. Bear in mind this is a swb rig with a body shell from grille to rear door only 11 feet long.It takes about 10 minutes to set it all up which is far too long if it's raining at the time with the interior of the truck and its contents getting wet. I've still got a few bugs to sort out to speed up erecting the folding tent structure, and if I'm sufficiently happy with the end result I'll post up a photo or two.For now I carry a 4 man fast erecting ground tent for the occasions when weather conditions don't allow the roof top to be used.
Bill.

Last edited by Agrover; 06-19-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Agrover is offline   Reply With Quote