Expo truck bed set-up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
Expo truck bed set-up

So i'm prob gonna be pickin up a truck in the next few weeks for a tow rig/expo truck. i know its gonna have an 8ft bed with a cap, and with some sort of removable platform for sleeping on top of with storage underneath, but past that, im lookin for how you guys set up the bed of your trucks.

thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 69597
I just got a mombasa roof top tent for mine.. I am building a alluminum flat rack that will be level with the bed rails.. the storage will be underneath it, then the tent can pop out when i need it..
Stop being a giant vagina. This is pirate..
www.rovertracks.com - gone fishin!!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...r-rebuild.html - D-90 build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...ggy-build.html- Disco truggy-rip
mightymg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 121833
I am still designing mine. I am pretty determined to maintain some significant open cargo space. The objective is to be able to take at least one bike in the load, along with other stuff. I do want to always keep some stuff handy though, lots of spares and tools as well as a freshwater tank and other goodies. I am likely going to end up with somethign resembling a service body, but this is still very much in the works.

For your situation, I say just build something out of wood with some cushioning that goes up to the wheel wells, with removable sections. I have used a toyota that had this combination with a Wildernest Popup Tent. I do not think they make those anymore. Post pics when you finish!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1479
Depending on how you support your sleeping area/bed in the back, you could put a drawer/slide or two of them (if you have a center support). There are some pretty strong bearings out there that would let you could use to build some sliders to load up the drawers and hold the weight securely.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
i like the idea of having a platform over a rolling shelf or 2, but last time i checked, those seem kinda pricey.

the other idea i had was to have a 2 piece platform. each side would be half the width of the bed, and would swing down from the side and meet in the middle to form a full width platform. there would have to be some way to lock them together, and some sort of support so they wouldnt sag once my weight is on them. this would grant me easy access to the supplies underneath, and would also make loading and unloading easier. this would also allow everything to be pulled out, and have the platform raised up to allow for large items when the cap is still on. ideally, i would built the platforms into the cap somehow, so i could take it all off in one piece.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1479
Why not build the support structure, all attached to the bed, then just have slats of plywood that would be placed on top and act as your sleeping platform. You could even have little notches carved into the supports that would hold the plywood in place and you wouldn't have to add any extra hardware to lock the pieces together.
The pieces of plywood could have cross-supports already screwed into the underside, and again, notches could be in the frame work and the plywood sit right on top.
Have some way of securing the plywood to the roof of your truck cap -- could even use bunjee cords to keep the pieces tight to the roof.
Doing it this way, you could have easy access to all your tools/parts in the storage area and the platform is right out of your way. Avoiding using the sides of the truck cap means the windows are not obscured -- allowing more light inside.

Are you going to use some sort of self-inflating mattress?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
i like that idea. i'd have to blueprint it out, but that just may work. frame out the bed with notched anchors, and then have the platform slip into the notches and lock into place when put together. maybe have a 2 piece platform so i could potentially install the whole thing on my own. most of the time, the platform would probably be in dry storage in my garage, and then installed in the bed of the truck when i know im going to be using it. id like to keep it so i can use the entire bed for hauling stuff if needed. im not too worried about the added weight of the platform and whatever.

im not sure what ill be using to sleep on. I was thinking about maybe putting a few layers of carpet padding on top of the plywood, then a layer of carpeting, and then carry a sleeping pad to put on top of that. i've had bad experiences with inflatable mattresses in the past and would rather not deal with them every night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.