homebuilt poptop van - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
was looking at this over on ExpeditionPortal and have a question.

do you put something over the lower portion of the bed when pulled out to level it out? and what about those holes on the inboard side - do they get covered? I know a mattress of some sort will go over it, but without some solid support, you'll get some major saggage.
I didnt put anything over the lower portion...the plan is to have a 4in thick matress..2in normal 2in memory foam...should take up the 3/4 drop in the be fairly well..

the centers didnt origonaly have anything for them..I had planned on some sort of web-strapping if it sagged..but the cut on the lids made it so they dont fall inside once in place..the outboard side shoudlnt be bad as its only 6x15 and 6x22 for them...and if theres a sag-age issue I'll probably just put a couple L brackets on it and use the exzisting pieces I cut out as filler..

yea right..

"They are little angels but they are trying to fuck the wings off each other!"
--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman
wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #77 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
and why did I just now notice the hood scoops??
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
and why did I just now notice the hood scoops??
you glazed over the "white trash" of the van?

I keep meaning to redo them...they work great..but the way they look is kinda "iffy"...at least to me..

UPON reading all what I posted...I guess I forgot to discribe the sleeping area....

the 12 volt fridge will go between the bed and the back doors...its 20in tall so the foam will have a 2in thickness overtop that area (18 wide)..thats the end for your feet...the entire platform area is 4ft 6in long..46in wide..with the section over the fridge and a little slide platform that will support the section that the fridge isnt under it makes the entire bed 6ft long and just shy of 4ft wide..3in shorter but 10in wider than a standard twin bed..

I had been concerned about the beds width (due to MY width) being too much in the back..I wasnt sure how much actual space there would be for hauling the 55gal drums of WVO when its collecting time....but with everything mocked in place I see I could build the slide so that its a 60in wide bed...making it a queensized width just 6ft long..(which may happen just have to make a 3rd cushion to fill it)..

yea right..

--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 03-19-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 41653
wow...all freakin day to get some nusance things done...

didnt care for the 6x9 speaker location and not sure what to do with my 10in subs...

so I moved the 6x9 by the sliding door...put the 2 subs in the box (one mounted flush the other not...)...bass ports...

got the last 2 white LED's installed and wired...ones on the back section to illuminate the floor and inside the metal storage lockers...the other is INSIDE the couch base and does an EXCELENT job of giving me light inside the box to find whatever I may need...

discoverd that 2 55gal wvo drums will fit nicely on the non-carpeted area between the seat and the shelves...

got 2 more 12vt fans installed...and the powerline to feed the rear power outlet that will be by the fridge/couch...

got the shelves painted and all secured...got the speakers wired..got the fans wired...

and smoked a corn beef brisket..and 4 chicken quarters..played with the dogs and the family...even did some laundry...

im tired...:eek2:

OH...and discovered our 6ft plastic table fits NICELY in the van if we ever want to take it with us!!

dam...flash killed bench lighting...oh well...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #80 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer-RRORC View Post
you still running those projector 6054 replacement bulbs? like 'em? any chance you have a pic of their output?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
you still running those projector 6054 replacement bulbs? like 'em? any chance you have a pic of their output?
actually those are standard sylvania xtra vision's inside new housings I got off ebay with the euro-lights and projector lenses...gotta say they are probably 50% brighter than the same in a halogen light but with better light pattern and distance!

lovem!

think I paid $35 for the pair..

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quick question: If you didn't use that dampening foam spray in the beginning and just laid insulation down - what would be the difference? Just noise or a decrease in temp protection?
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Quick question: If you didn't use that dampening foam spray in the beginning and just laid insulation down - what would be the difference? Just noise or a decrease in temp protection?
its asphalt based roofing for deadener...probably no insulating qualitys to speak of...the spray stuff was contact glue....

ORDERED THE FRIDGE and new radiator!!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 64376
Quote:
ORDERED THE FRIDGE and new radiator!!!
What kind of fridge?
el-cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-cid View Post
What kind of fridge?
I got the 63qt
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ghlight=%24400

yea right..

--Sturgell

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 04-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #86 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:

I like the build.

But this reminds me of the two seater at the hunting cabin

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 41653
VAN weekend...well sorta...

got the couch pulled out for stain seal and paint...got the floor stained...

but wanted to show ya how much stuff I can fit in it!!

3 overstuffed pillows.
2 sleeping bags (1 kid size)
1 comforter
2 bigboy chairs
2 regular people chairs
tool bag
air matress (for bed untill I get cushions made)
hiking bag...
still has a LITTLE room...

bubba chair

idea of what the bed/couch setup works..

and a couple shots of the 62qt fridge...thats a 24 pack down in there!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 41653
spent all day polishin n waxin me wood!!

stained and poly'd my floor piece and the bench...painted the inside white (more coats applied after pix..nice and pretty now!!)

now I got all this wood dryin...

floor..

bench...and some spypix of the 59 fairlane thats gathering hood ornimants!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 41653
well me and the oldest kiddo bunked out in the van lastnight for the first time since the work began.,..

bunked out in the side yard...so we had some streetlights to contend with...shades are half made..the rest need to get cut out and installed for privacy and keep the sun out in the early mornings...

lemme just say...airbeds are awful....I cant WAIT to get some dang foam cushions!!

we didnt do much other than sit around the campfire and goof off...then it was bedtime...she slept in the pass front laid down flat with her feet on the pass mid-seat...she snored all night!! (not really...but she was super comfy!)

she even slept thru the rainstorm...

and the bear....yup...a dang bear....im layin sound asleep...doors locked...window at my feet shut...and the van rocks...I look up to see if kiddo got up... nope...she's cuddled down in her sleeping bag...van rocks again...so I pull back the window cover...nada...then I can hear something moving..and KABOOM!!..right on the open outter box...our cat BEAR (not really his name)...drops off the roof of the van and meows at me...

he honstly scared the poop outta me...I've slept in the van a dozen times...never had anything mess with it..rain..cold..snow...hot...and a dang KITTEN wakes me up and scares me!....I did laugh..you should too...:elkgrin:

some pix...we did have it all setup but packed it in for the day...folding table..4 chairs...and the wind kept blowing the pop-up privy over...even with 4 stakes in the ground it would bend..

it needs more lights outside under the awning...and some glow in the dark chord for the privy and some kind of hanging light..(glowstick?)...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 41653
pix of the inside that somehow were skipped..still gotta get the couch cushions made up...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 3321
Send a message via AIM to Ken Carter / BRUISER
looks great and thanks for idea on awning

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...&postcount=162

My Builds:
Bus / RV, YJ linked w/ 9's, Camper / ToyHauler, CTD Tow Rig, Jeep XJ, Shop
Ken Carter / BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 41653
well its been slow...recaulked the gutter to stop it leakin inside...got a compression bag so now 3 big pillows take up the space of a small sleeping bag...

I did sent a spare injection pump out to be custom built and returned with matched injectors (read more power!)

filtered 15gal of WMO today an put some in to bring her up from half a tank..:elkgrin:

got this idea from another thread to make a caribener strap...that way I can hang all the hiking bags and some other asundry items..

OH..and found a key for the cabinets to lock them so they dont pop open and dump out on the floor and I have to watch my coffee pot roll around the back in traffic..

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 05-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 110459
Saw the same strap thing and probally on the same site as you did. I'll be making one also.....
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #94 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Aren't your windows tinted?
I'm thinking those swinging bags are going to destroy the tint in about 20 miles. You might want to runs a rub strap in front of the window to keep the bags off them.

I did this on a camper van I built back in the 80's, only it was some very expensive panneling that got rubbed the wrong way.

The build is coming along nicely.

Wishing I had my old chevy van back now.

I'll go back to the back of the room now!

Last edited by SSSRodeo; 05-06-2010 at 06:59 AM.
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSRodeo View Post
Aren't your windows tinted?
I'm thinking those swinging bags are going to destroy the tint in about 20 miles. You might want to runs a rub strap in front of the window to keep the bags off them.

I did this on a camper van I built back in the 80's, only it was some very expensive panneling that got rubbed the wrong way.

The build is coming along nicely.

Wishing I had my old chevy van back now.

I'll go back to the back of the room now!

its factory so im not sure if its in the glass or not...time to go scratchin in the corner...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.