homebuilt poptop van - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41653
homebuilt poptop van

well since Ive posted it on expediton portal...might as well here too....

1985 E250 6.9 TURBO diesel C6..33in tires..(bfg commercial traction TA's)..dual tanks..dual AC..power power power...144K..runs just frickin FINE!!..loaded out with the gauges..(installed by me as well as the turbo kit last winter)...bought it 3 years ago..and drive it occasionaly..mostly towing my sploder and hauling stuff on a trailer or inside..and a perfectly flat roof w ribbing..

its already been converterd by me to 4 captains chairs and a fold down bed/couch..seats 6...(family count is soon to be 5..)...

PLANS!!

with the way the van is setup now it sleeps 3 adults comfortably on the installed seats...the rooftop would be the "parents suite" and the kids in the regular passsenger area..

and yea...theres plans for bumpers..already has OBA w tank..nice tunes..needs DVD and maybe solar panels..(we really dont go for more than a weekend)...
got plans for grey and clean water tanks...most of its all gonna be hidden and accessable from the outside as I REFUSE to camp when its too cold (pussy)...and with 3 days MAX at camp...Im prolly ok for a shower till I get home..but a privacy tent and 5gal will make me more approchable... and will make the wife happier with the kids that already play in the dirt...

a nice retractable awning too..anything to help!!

yea right..

"They are little angels but they are trying to fuck the wings off each other!"
--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 11-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41653
well its time to start the teardown...

well...actually the majority of the teardown is done...just not the roof..not yet...

plan is to make new bench/bed brackets..and add a bunch of storave pockets to the sides and the back doors..

all of it sound-proofed..and insulated ( roll in sound deadner and that foil bubblewrap insulation)..floor walls and ceiling when im to it..oh and the doghouse!!

from the front of the rear fenderwells BACK is going to be plywood thats sealed against oil (gota haul the veggie!)...and carpet from there forward...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 11-08-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41653
today I got the last of the floor scraped and old deadener out...

got all the panels out and checked the way the headliners in...should be easy to pull and maybe reuse!!:sombrero:

went to home depot and priced all my stuff too...headin there after work to get what I need and a few new shop lights...new garage only has 3 spotlights...needs 9 4ft flourescents!!

progress..(lemme tell ya...get bagies for all yer screws...and LABLE THEM!!)

trimmed some of the plastic for moving speakers and making access holes for storage areas that are just unused spaces! (alot of those too!!)

more/better pix tommrow!!...bedtime!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41653
updates and goodies!!

(home depot)
priced the roofing/ice protector for sound deadener..150sqft for $50...(3ft wide roll)
insulation foil backed bubblewrap for heat/cold 4x25ft roll is $40!!
less than $100 to get it ALL sound and heat insulated!!

PROGRESS

didnt get too much done this weekend...put new shoplights in..had to re-tile the bathtub (bout half of them FELL out in the last few weeks..older house)..
and had to move a BUNCH of junk to extricate my 1959 ford fairlane galaxy 500 from her restinghole of the last 15yrs..and tried to tear a mach1 mustang in half..twice...

got the inside all washed out for the sound deadner and insulation...

all the interior is tucked in the garage attic for safe keeping while the build happens...

gotta love slave labor...she loves to spray stuff with the airhose...all I gotta do is fire up the compressor and the garage floor is cleaned up...and she dried the big puddles out of the van!

dont take my picture...

FREEBIE!! found in a junk pile while moving some cars around today at a buddies...

all the switches are 12/24volt along with the lights and nice aluminum brackets and such!!
standard size papertowel roll for size referance..+

floor storage anyone??

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 33365
Send a message via MSN to the glassman
whatcha gona do with all thows switchs and wirein
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by the glassman View Post
whatcha gona do with all thows switchs and wirein
dunno...prolly some panels in the van and crawler...the dials really arnt usefull to me at all other than some art project....

needem?????

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22105
make sure those are not low amp switches a lot of elctronic equip.like that runs very low amps (5 amps or less?).
Tom Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Campbell View Post
make sure those are not low amp switches a lot of elctronic equip.like that runs very low amps (5 amps or less?).
they might be...everything gets run on relays anymore..so it MIGHT work...(if not it'll get used on kids toys..)

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 117858
I could make use of that big blue box... be just right for my A Team junk.
Sabre 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre 07 View Post
I could make use of that big blue box... be just right for my A Team junk.
the blue box is the ONLY thing I really wanted...

rust and paint today!!

and some pix of the ledge and the top...measurements...

little bit of rust on the floor...front of the wheel wells only spots rusted thru...and some "prevenative" painting to be done just to stop old "MR RUST!!"

view of the turbo too!!

top lip..from roof...ledge is 1/2in down from metal edge..so 2in...PLENTY of room for supports!!

lip to top of window..

width..

oh..and got the doghouse dynomatd....soon time for the rest!!...gotta paint tommorow!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 11-11-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 41653
waitin on payday for the sound/heat insulation...

so its BUMPERS!!!

DISCLAMER!!...needs welds ground down and painted!!

front needs the grill guard built...and some "tweeking" but all it all not bad!! front and winchmount 3/16 plate...outsides 14/16gauge flat steel...total weight about 100lbs...stocker was HEAVIER!!...

back is same material...didnt cut for the winch yet..need to get the one for the back before I go cuttin holes wrong...

total of 6hours building after I got the patterns made...over 4hrs JUST welding yesterday...and after that...I dont feel like doin crap with it today!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 111157
Great job!
Very cool to see what people can do on their own...can't wait to see the pics of it out on adventures
Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 41653
got the blue box emptied out today....and decided to use it for a rear bumper storage locker....its too dang nice...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22105
are you putting a 44 ttb in it?
Tom Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Campbell View Post
are you putting a 44 ttb in it?
nope...leavin her 2wd...with an arb in the rear and dual winches...I should be able to get to most places...dont plan on wheelin it..just unimproved roads out west and some backroads here at home....if its bad...we park and hike in..

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 41653
UPDATES!!!

sorry folks...not much bein done with the holidays approaching and a few other project (PAID!!) jeeps to help fund the build...and xmas shoppin...

got the backers made for the captains chairs...before it was 8 bolts and 8 nuts and 16 washers...and a pain in the BUTT...to unbolt the posts involved 4pair of vicegrips for each post and to install took a helper!!

so I built backers that got welded on the underside so I can unbolt and reinstall as a one guy gig...srry for the crap welds but im borrowing a welder and its only fluxcore..

then time to clean the floor (darn kids and dogs!)....

and picked up the deadner...150SQFT $46...van floor is only like 90sqft!..so the doors will also be done!!

got the plate exchanger fittings installed and even found a semi-convenient place to install it!!

oh...and the bumper got painted...still needs the uprights..tubing later this winter..

random pic of my onboard air tank n mount...driverside outside the frame by the rear tire..

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Cool build! Subscribed
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 41653
welp....150sqft later...and its all in...doubled up from the firewall to past the front seats...and triple thick on the rear fenderwells...

all the sides done...inside the doors...slider...and even reinstalled the doghouse!! (thanks sully!!)

and I found out that the 3M spray adhesive ISNT jokin when they say flamable!!...the one halogen I have...set it off!!...little fire...and the extinguisher wasnt needed...(but it was grabbed!!)..

gotta get another couple cans of it...to do the insulation..and finnish a little on the driver fenderwell...

all in all...it looks AWSOME..really nice stuff to work with...impressed with it!!

and my wifes WONDERFULL high-dollar camera took these pix...the first one is typical of her camera with no auxilary light...

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Your deadener looks to be some kind of closed cell foam? Sorry I can't read the what the original use is off the box.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Your deadener looks to be some kind of closed cell foam? Sorry I can't read the what the original use is off the box.
more info on the insulation please
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6052
I think he is using this stuff....http://www.alliedbuilding.com/produc...uctID=88780140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Monday View Post
more info on the insulation please
Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 41653
yup its been recomended as a inexpensive and durable sound deadener..its made as a ice-guard protector for valley flashing and roof edges...its asphalt based..but not very smelly..

the "insulation" will be this...
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

looks like this when done...(hopefully)
Attached Images

yea right..

--Sturgell

Last edited by wanderer-RRORC; 11-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer-RRORC View Post
yup its been recomended as a inexpensive and durable sound deadener..its made as a ice-guard protector for valley flashing and roof edges...its asphalt based..but not very smelly..

looks like this when done...(hopefully)
It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
it deffinitly made a BIG diffrence just in engine noise today!! (pulled it outside to get some sunlight..)..

the sidewalls look like its gonna need the spray-contact glue to keepem in place...but thats ok..rather find out now..than have to pull the sides off and glue it later!!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 98217
I like your sound deadener and insulation idea. I've been trying to determine what to do with my '67 Rambler. The existing headliner had to be removed, and it's so old it's falling apart with no hope to rebuild it. This could work for a replacement.

Nice build. Keep posting pics.
loveofjazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.