Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
We have one similar to that at work, only with the 5.8L. My biggest complaint is that it's a total dog and can't get out of it's own way. However, even with only 2wd as long as I have a few thousand lbs. of parts in the back it will slog through some nasty mud. Only times I got it stuck the service box was holding the back axle off the ground. Probably helps it's a dualie with a LSD.

I may have to purchase it from the company for cheap (they told me the next time it breaks down they're not fixing it) and do something like this. Only I will definately be doing either a very well built SBC or a 6bt transplant.

#37 ·
I have the source on my home computer so I'll post up when I get home. I'm having an engineer buddy of mine help me with all the power sources and he steered me in the Pure Sine direction. He's also steered me toward a 220W solar panel, controller and marine batteries to power my electrical needs....like if I need to use a 1000w microwave for 2hrs. to cook a bird :grinpimp:

Nick

#39 · (Edited)
I've browsed the nosecone place before. the gallery on the other site wouldn't open for me... but if i don't get my hands on a front like the one pictured I'll just make a slanted aluminum fairing for the mean time.

Here is the link to the inverter. The guy was great to buy from, quick to process my order and even called to verify my CC info to make sure my card wasn't stolen:

http://www.cascadegps.com/store/xantrex-prowatt-sw2000-2000w-true-sinewave-inverter.html

Nick

#42 · (Edited)
a little planning progress. I am kind of thinking of just using a nicer memory foam Futon I have for a while to see how I like the set up...so I'll have a bed and couch...Here's what I threw together tonight...In this configuration I think I'll be able to keep the existing cabinets at the front of the box. I'd have to remove the two sets in back. There would be drawers under the futon only as deep as the couch variation allows. The walk through wouldn't work with the Futon though...

Nick

Attachments

#45 · (Edited)
Got the tires mounted today...Luckily I had the guys at Samco Fab do it cause there was Some rubbing issues and I had to borrow a hammer to hammer the pinch seam to be able to turn to make it a few miles to the shop and trim....a tire shop would have freaked out...:D while jacking it up to remove the fronts to cut I got a preview of what the lift will look like...it's going to be sweet!

I also started cutting the pieces for the drop down door.

Nick

Attachments

#47 ·
How much do you expect this thing to weigh? That winch seems a little underpowered, especially being from HF. The general rule is your winch capacity should be at MINIMUM 1.5 times the weight of your rig.

#51 ·
I gotcha. I just pictured you being stuck in mud or something (which sometimes requires twice the pulling power of the weight of the truck) and blowing the winch up. To some people it can add false security but that doesn't seem like the case for you.

I like the build :smokin:

#54 ·
I gotcha. I just pictured you being stuck in mud or something (which sometimes requires twice the pulling power of the weight of the truck) and blowing the winch up. To some people it can add false security but that doesn't seem like the case for you.
Yea, in that case I totally agree

Hmm....frequenting Harbor Freight I see. And you use to give me a rash of shit! Wait till I tell mom.

Dad
there's a few things in Harbor Freight that are alright...you'll be happy to know that almost everything I got was on sale too...

Nick

#57 · (Edited)
Work at Torchmate in Reno... living in the Truckee area...20 min from Fordyce :flipoff2: so let me know when your up...and I'll lock my doors :laughing:

Anyway, pics from the trip....Big Dune..Grand Canyon..Lake Mead..PBJ on the way to Moab

Nick

Attachments

#70 ·
Anyway, pics from the trip....Big Dune..Grand Canyon..Lake Mead..PBJ on the way to Moab
out of curiosity, how did the motor like all that driving? any guess (or actual numbers) on how the MPG was? don't think the 5.4 gasser would enjoy towin an EB...but that;s purdy much all i've been able to find around seattle so if I go that route i'd have to wait a little while before a swap to a diesel.

#61 ·
floor space fills fast and I put the futon in there last minute so I didn't have time to space it up and use the space below as storage. Cabinets with drawers to come for sure but I figured we had to get a "rough" run in so we could appreciate it when it's got the inverter, solar ,fridge, lights...

Oh and the cabinet maker mounted these cabinets like a home use application..not washboard roads :D...good thing I'm going through it all, they are coming apart a bit and started to come off the walls.

I think the exact Dims are on one of the previous pages..pretty much about 6'x6'x10'

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.