Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#82 ·
no pics but I bought a RV access door last night and 18 gal fresh water tank. I am also going to drop off my front axle in Carson City today to get the matching 4.10 gears put in... got the Trans ID'd (4O100) and going to call around and see if it's cheaper to buy a 4wd trans and Tcase or have the trail shaft redone. After that, I'm putting in some orders for metal and parts.

Then I'm taking off camping agian this weekend before I tear down the interior next week and start installing the RV door and building the back door and counters, drawers, cut the walk through, make the roof rack and mount the Solar panel.

Nick

#83 ·
Why don't you go with a 44? You won't have to lift as much. I'm thinking along the same lines as why you didn't get a 9Klbs winch...you aren't going rock crawling with it.

I want to go with bigger tires on my 4x4 van as well, but don't want to lift it. I've been thinking about moving the axle forward so it clears the crossmember. I don't know if that's possible or not yet.

I like your build! You know, our rigs are great for doing the Continental Divide Trail. Just sayin.

#84 · (Edited)
Just got matching gears for the 60 tonight. I thought about a 44 but stumbled on a 60.. I think I'll cut the engine crossmember if there's issues and rebuild, as low as possible is the goal but it could use some lift. I got the gas tank high centered on a snow drift, and I got some rubbing in the front when I hit the bumps at ramming speed ;)

Nick

#85 ·
Hi, i dont venture in here much but glad i did, there was one of these builds in the tow section (not 4x4) that i have been in love with. I'm towing with a G3500 cargo van but keep thinking this style would be nice..

I've been using my van for 2 years now and have a few suggestions that might help your layout some. This is how I would lay mine out if/when I get a small box van setup.

1) get the pass through opened up. Install seat swivels so you can use the front seats to sit in to eat etc..

2) Put your entrance door just behind the passenger door.

3) Put the mattress in the rear area and make wood boxes under it on the sides. Possibly even have it higher than normal ~counter height. Make it swing or up to the side wall. I was thinkin a simple way to raise it straight up. Benifit of reg. mattress and use the boxes under for extra seating. This will give you access to the under storage from the outside, and hide the bed/stuff during the day.

I keep seeing these KUVs with tool boxes on the sides and even the narrow ones with 1/2 tool boxes on the pass. side and keep dreaming about them... I just need to figure out how to upfit my current van with one. Its paid for and mechanically sound...

Subscribed, love the build...

#89 ·
I wouldn't waste the time on a d-max conversion. Unless you are really partial to those engines. As for off road I would just do a selectable locker in the rear. I have worked on several of those vans now with Dana 60's so I'd scope out the rear to see what you are working with. Get a air supply and decent tires and it should treat you OK if you are nice to it.

(Sorry to the OP for derailing.)

#92 ·
Love the removable back wall!! Getting the Dana 60 ready.. and I saw some chairs in a BBQ restaurant that gave me a possible idea for a wood metal interior..

Nick

Attachments

#95 ·
I spent all day at the smog and DMV yesterday, I was able to register the Van from commercial to "motor vehicle" since it has a bed. So it has car plates and saved some $$ on reg. :D

I also have my solar controller from ebay on it's way finally
controller BZ MPPT250 25A 12V 250 W MPPT SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.