Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#164 · (Edited)
I did some framing out of the counter top last night. 1.75" angle iron is going to be the hidden structure mounted to the floor and wall and 1x2" is going to frame (will be seen) the wood inlayed. the counter top is 1" pine. I have some stainless I wanted to use on alot of things but the lack of a press brake is simplifying the build...I may add it all later.

Another crappy phone pic but it's better than text..Heading to the WE Rock grandnationals this weekend so no more work on it until Monday. I think I'll be framing the mount for the fridge and microwave under the counter.

Nick

Attachments

#166 ·
your really slackin on the pictures man. I need some realll sh*t here, none of this blurry camera phone nonsense.

Every since sav saw your FB photos shes been chatting about a family camper like this, so....i need you to help me out here by keeping the pictures coming and keeping the idea fresh in her head. This way i have fulllll spouse support on the next project.

#170 ·
had a great CAD drawing of a home made slide out rail and now I cant find it. Basically it was three pieces of decreasing height C-Channel with some type of roller or bearing. The largest rail was fixed and the two smaller ones each slid out 50% and hit a stop, giving 100% extension of whatever the section length was.

Should be pretty easy to make, the hard part would be things like running electrical and water lines, what to do with the flooring, how to get it to seal correctly, etc...

#171 ·
Hey Nick, it was great chatting with you at We-Rock. If you have any questions as you get ready to rig up some hot water in your van I'd be more than happy to answer questions. While I'm partial to the Helton units for obvious reasons I've got a fair amount of experience with some to of the other options and would be more than happy to recommend the best fit for your needs. Excited to see how you finish it off :cool:

#172 · (Edited)
I've been busy (mostly non van things) but I am ramping up the work level on the Van. I really need to source a 4wd tranny to get on this 4wd swap...snow is starting to fall around here..

I had a headlight out so I picked up some new "brigher" silverstars and while I had those out I went and painted the grill and benzels (it's now 5mph faster after that ricer mod )

I also got started on insulating the walls with this plastic reflective bubble wrap. It is really easy to work with, just a tape measure, drywall square, exacto knife and staple gun.

The Torchmate desert truck got sponsored by Magnaflow for the baja 1000, getting all new exhaust. So I was given one of the Borla strainless mufflers for 3" tubing when taken off that only had maybe 500 mi on it...FREEBIE

more to come.

cruiseroutfit: Thanks for the info when we talked about the shower situation...I really need to get on a solution for hot water. I really like the "any body of water" set up you had, but I might as well try a more fixed situation in here.

Nick

Attachments

#177 ·
Not sure how much thickness/room your working with for the insulation but I've found the bubble wrap to be almost useless. It works well with reflecting radiant heat but not so much elsewhere. Tons of discussion on it on RV.net Granted RV.net isn't the end all be all as those clowns will debate variations in specs of dirt, but there is some good info.

On my cargo van I was able to get some 1" jute insulation (recycled material sorta blue ish in color, used as insulation under car floors/carpets. ) I used 2" on the walls and ceiling under the peneling. In a box van with flat walls. With non metal walls/roof I would simply use rigid blue sheets.

Sorry this is so long.. On my u-haul conversion i did. I used 2 sheets of 3/4" in between 2x4s (or 2x2s) which fit perfectly and provided some density behind the walls to keep the framing spacing larger.

I'm still (casually) looking for a similar later model chevy cube van like this.

Great job so far !!!

#178 ·
Thanks for the info. ..while still in the build process I'm definately still in the trial and error phases. Like the cheap laminate fake wood floor. I love the look but it isn't liking the cold/hot moisture changes and is slightly curling the edges between pieces. It might be installation error as I was in a hurry to get it in without all my materials (glue, tools, etc) in one place and move on.

Nick

#181 ·
its been more than 48 hours since your last post and unless your planning something fancy, which is likely, your 4 bends away from wrapping up this little duder. Come come, with the pictures, come come....

#187 ·
Very nice project! I'll be subscribing to keep track of the progress!

I have been seriously contemplating such a project but using something along the lines of a used rental truck. I don't like the trucks that U-Haul uses but the ones Penske uses are pretty stout and have much better ground clearance than the U-Haul design allowing for under box compartments. I'm thinking of something like a 22' box. It will be to heavy for a 1 ton front end/transfer case though.. I'll stop now before I end up hi-jacking your awesome thread..

One or two comments on the use of retired ambulances (In response to those that have mentioned using one). I worked in EMS for many years and can tell you from first hand experience that even the empty vehicle (without all the EMS crap) is pretty heavy. About 90% of all 1 ton based ambulances are running well over the designed weight and they get driven HARD. VERY HARD would be more accurate. Depending on who owned it it may have been maintained pretty well or not worth crap. During my EMS career I worked for far more companies that barely kept them running than those that st rived to keep them well maintained. This includes both private and municipal (Government) based systems.

Another thing I find as a negative in using an ambulance for a camping vehicle is the interior is not all that large due to the exterior compartments and interior cabinets. You could always remove the interior cabinets and reface the wall to gain some of that space back but you still loose a lot of usable space to the exterior compartments. Some of those can come in handy for your 4x4 gear and tools but there is likely more than you really need so you'll end up using some of them for items that you would rather have inside but simply don't have room for.

On the plus side, you'll likely have plenty of outside lighting...lol. Some will even have a 110v generator and a roof mounted RV air conditioner unit installed. Look in the southern states for an ambulance with the RV A/C unit if that is important to you. Also, 12v electrical will usually be beefed up with max output alternators and probably a high idle kit to allow you to keep the RPM's up to make max amperage in the alternator when you feel the need.

One of those newer trucks (Started becoming popular in the last 10-15 years) commercial size ambulances might be interesting. I'm talking about the ones on the International Harvester (Beer truck) size chassis. Those usually have longer boxes and of course are built much more heavy duty than a 1 ton. OF course your looking at finding matching size 4x4 running gear too..

And again, I'll stop before I hi-jack the real thread..

Can't wait to see more pictures of the project!

#188 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.. and about the Rental trucks...Uhauls almost always are BEAT...I've look at several Penski and rented several as well, I have to say they look and drive like new everytime. Those bigger ambulances you talked about are sweet. My friend is a firefigher engineer in the Sierras and drives one, he says they climb like a goat!

#189 ·
I was online looking for a suitable truck for the camper 4x4 build project I am contemplating and I just happened to see a few Ambulances and thought of this thread. If I was going to use an ambulance for my project it would be something like one of these, not one based on a 1 ton chassis.

$14,900 located in Tampa, FL.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2001-FREIGHTLINER-FL60-97265242

$15,900 located in Washington State.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2000-FREIGHTLINER-FL60-97130509

$30,000 located in Lakeland, FL.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2003-FREIGHTLINER-FL-60-97772691

If anybody is interested in one of these the Tampa or Lakeland ones are not far at all from me and I would be happy to go down get more pictures and give you an overall idea if it is a sound buy or not.

For my project I need something a bit larger than an ambulance. I'm still not decided 100% to go with a commercial type chassis or military but from what I have learned so far it is looking more and more like commercial.

Something along the lines of the truck in the link below. Add 4x4, the largest all season tires I can find that will fit, RV A/C on the roof, 2 winches, cargo boxes under the "RV" Box and cut off the last 5' of the box and make a porch that will hold a custom BBQ and my 4 wheeler with as large of an observation deck as I can put up on the roof. It will carry 150 gallons of fresh water, have a full size shower, blah, blah, blah....

I'll stop now so I don't hijack this thread about the awesome highly mobile camper of a different design that this thread is really all about. To be honest, I "Almost" went with something this size just because of the mobility factor, but my last "Real" RV was a factory built class A 34' and I just got used to the size, space, amenities and feel that I would miss that to much in a smaller but MUCH more mobile rig.

The problem with the 34'er was that I got stuck several times (And never did even come close to going "off road") and of course there are no acceptable hooks to use to be pulled out, (And no place to reasonable put them). I am trying to compensate for some of the loss of mobility by using the truck that will be 4x4 (With winches and hooks) to gain some of the lacking mobility back. For my needs I think it will be a reasonable compromise.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/1998-FREIGHTLINER-FL60-94471141

Take care...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.