Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#200 ·
I got the rack finished up and painted. Soon I'll be bolting on the Solar panel (driver front) and an aluminum tray for gear (driver rear) and the canoe holster is on the right :D.

I also got the first tire carrier mounted up as well as a simple rear bumper with recovery points and hitch...utilitarian is the style...:flipoff2:

crappy phone pics for now.

Nick

Attachments

#202 ·
Yea, didn't have time the other night....I am tetering between a 1" tube ladder (same as the rack) bolted to the side of the steel on the tail end or I have been researching those foldable trucker foot pegs...but the cheapest I've found are about $18 a piece....cheapness says I'm leaning toward the 1" :flipoff2:

Nick

#206 ·
a rear "swing up" awning was what i did on my old Truck;
(sorry, bad pic quality)

notice also the pullout entrance "porch" with stair steps (partially hidden by the bar) :p .... was quick to set up (without uncoupling the trailer) and very comfortable to walk up 'n' down ;)

#211 · (Edited)
If I have read your questions right the boxes are just weatherguard top boxes for truck beds. One is 72" and the other 36" wide. I am thinking of cutting out the backs of them and making them deeper since they are only 12" deep.

The plan is to make a deck about 3' from the roof for the bed to rest on. Under the bed deck, these boxes will be outside gear storage and vehicle tools/fluids. Then make a devide the length of the deck to seal off the interior and have interior drawers facing inward for clothes and interior gear. The matress is about 50" so I could devide the space and have a good amount on either side. I am also considering placement of the fresh and gray water under there if I can package it all right.

The wall above the boxes will then be hindged from the top so on a nice morning you can be laying in bed and open up the wall to a great view.

I also forgot to mention that I ordered a bunch of those foldable foot/grab holds and they are on their way...thanks for the find!

Nick

#212 ·
Oh, I see. So the storage area under the couch bottom is going to be deeper than just what you can fit behind the couch. Very cool. That hinged wall is exactly what I was picturing. Depending on how you set it up, would also make a dope little outdoor kitchen area.

#217 ·
Soon I hope. I have some other things going the next two weeks, then to strip the camper after. I'd like to get the back boxes and interior situated before memorial weekend so we can use it. I'd like to get the brunt of things done so I can be using it this summer, well I use it now but I'd like it to have more immenities :)...

on a side note the black powder coated folding foot/grab handles came in and I'll put those on this week :D well worth the $5 ea

Nick

#218 ·
So I gutted the camper this weekend and took the remains to the dump...and loaded up the remains for the project....:flipoff2:

The shell still wieghted 880lbs. stripped of all appliances/wiring/tanks/ most of the windows and top....

Nick

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.