Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#225 · (Edited)
still crappy cell pics but....:D I battoned the back wall up for the weekend to go racing and am waiting for my piano hinge, weather stripping and sourcing cam levers to clamp it closed. EVen without insulation it's already WAY quieter than the rattling roll up door.

Nick

Attachments

#229 ·
The way that back door lifts, it looks perfect for adding a "pop out" bed/tent area to give you an extra place to sleep, or just some "breathing room", especially if it's raining out.

#230 ·
Been laggin. Work has been swamped so if Im not there I'm using it and the canoe part of the rack works sweet! ;)

I really need to get on this.

At the moment the bottom of the opening is the same hieght as the mattress, so that could be a possibility. I need to figure out how I want to clamp/fasten the bottom to clamp it closed but it is hinged. I also am planning on running a rubber flap across the top to keep the hinge waterproof as well as trim around the door and an angle iron flange to put yet another weather strip on. Then get some screen and make a frame to keep the bugs out.

Nick

Attachments

#232 ·
Most van people say 4" is minimum to get a 60 in there but I'd think I'm a little more experienced with suspension systems so I am going to make it as low as possible with the 4x4 swap. It's already 9' + tall so I still want to fit under large limbs,etc. It has been going into some decent places as is and I haven't had any clearance issues especially with the dovetail.

Nick

#233 · (Edited)
Been peeping at the progress all the from the start. Love the idea. I too had something similar in mind, but ran into parking regs for the local city issues.

As for the front axle, do you really want to go solid? Or you have the TTB D50 in mind? Even a swapped in IFS?

What is the frame width on the commercial van? I've got a c&c truck, 4" longer wb than long bed, frame is 3" narrower (34" vs 37"), frame is taller and longer than reg pickup. May have to score on a smaller box to put back there. Currently have long bed and commercial box on it. Looks odd with the cab to bed gap.

#234 ·
TTB would be nice, we fabricated one on the Torchmate KOH car and it was sooo smooth in the rough....but I figure a straight axle will be fine, it's simple and done ...if I'm pushing the limits of comfort on a straight axle ride the camper is probably falling apart. maybe on the next one ;)

Nick

#236 ·
This thing is sweet. You def got the skills and TTB's from a mid late 90's f-250 are plentiful and cheaper than D60..... just saying....

In all reality you really dont need 4wd and blippity blah. Really you could camp just as easily in a tent. No where near as cool but would get the job done. :flipoff2::flipoff2:

now really IFS This beeotch let and the rest of us fawkin drool. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.