Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I have a 89 E350 Ex-Ambulance I converted to 4x4, 7.3. For a tow rig, I really like my dually rear, but I guess that all depends on what your going to tow.
I love mine, and am actually looking for a newer one to convert, you won't regret it.

#7 · (Edited)
I was looking at the ambulances for some time....would have been sweet but oh well. I wanted the smaller box and single rear to fit easier on remote roads to mountain lakes. Also so it's less of a pain to drive around town often if I choose. I'm only going to be towing my Toyota so I should be good. I'll build this out like I want it and down the road if the drivetrain doesn't hack it maybe I'll swap in a diesel.

Here's a shot of the interior as is..hardwood floors and custom cabinets...I'm going to take some measurements and redesign it all in Solidworks to get the most use out of the space.

Nick

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm lugging 10k behind the same chassis you got there with the 5.4l. Its a dog and needs a tranny and I'm getting around 8-10mpg. We've had tons of issues with the fuel injectors and coil packs. Other then that its been a good truck to us. We have a fleet of 4 of these trucks and all have the same issues. But we beat the livin' hell out of them from mile 1.

Rick

#15 ·
Its awsome that your acctually doing it man, youve got me scopin out every ambulance/box van i see. And, your right, the prices are very appealing....not many folk DD an ambulance. Would also make a nice 'no girls aloud' hide out

#17 ·
nice. how much did you pay? i almost bid on an ambulance locally and wish i had. it went for $250. seriously. it was a 91 e350, non cut away style. i did end up getting this one though

you should have held out for the 7.3. one of our f350's has the 5.4 and it is an embarrassment to ford.

#18 · (Edited)
I paid about $3500. The nearest mini box van this style I'd seen was $6500 and this one has immaculate service records. If you "craigslook" with no search limit area... "Ambulance", "econoline" "van" "4x4 van"....you'll come up with some good stuff. I had my eye on a 7.3L mini mod ambulance in Kansas City (I think) for $3400, but by only pics (it wasn't perfect) and after the plane ticket and the drive back cost I was still looking. There is a regular box ambulance built out as a Camper in Seattle for 9500-10k...there is also a pair of ambulances there (one mini mod) for $1900ea both probably 7.3, by the years it seemed one would be non turbo, one turbo'd. That was tempting.

I ordered my fridge the other night, a Norcold 2 way (elec or LP), it's the one they use in the Sportsmobiles. I also ordered a 2000w pure sine wave inverter.

A good source I've been looking at has been RV surplus. They have some good prices.

:D

Nick

#20 · (Edited)
I went to the VORRA short course race this weekend in the Van as is. I just slapped a futon matress in, a cooler and my stuff. It worked awesome, the roll up door area acted as a convenient sitting area too, we had a fire 7ft off the back. Very happy with it and haven't even done a thing.

Nick

#22 · (Edited)
Yeah, I paid $3750 for mine. The first four feet of the 14' box has a 7.5' wide "couch" I can seat six including me, five comfortably. I bought mine the same day I saw it, I couldn't believe that the local stock car guys didn't snatch it up. The owner ran a camper/trailer supply place, so he had all sorts of cool shit on it. Airbags, compressor, CB, trailer brakes, custom receiver, etc.

What kind of stuff do you have to do to get it licensable and insurable as a RV? In IL, since mine is a one ton, I have to have "D" plates and supposedly I have to have it inspected every six months. Here they say (the DMV and my insurer) that all vehicles 1 ton and above are commercial, regardless of it's intended use EXCEPT for stuff classified as a RV. It is almost cost prohibitive to just convert mine to being an RV just to save money on the plates and insurance, but it would make the van much more ideal for our type of sport.

#23 ·
When I was looking online at insurance there was a catagory for van camper. I think it's considered an RV if it has a bed and a toilet. That's at least the stipulations for getting a mortgage on an RV, which can be done on the Sportsmobile van camper. Google "portable electric toilet", it's an easy way to add the toilet. I'm on the fence but will most likely go that route.

My dad picked up a 700w microwave for me at a garage sale this weekend, knowing him it was $5 and it's new in box. I got the 2000w sine wave inverter today and the fridge is coming in tomorrow.

Nick

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.