Pirate 4x4 banner

Let's see your expo van or 4x4 van pics!

470K views 439 replies 187 participants last post by  151fab 
#1 ·
I'll post up my new ride in a few. I'm excited that I'm back in a van, a 4x4 van to be exact! The interior is pretty set up but I'm not sure if it will suit my needs.

Be back in a few...

#134 ·
Class A 4x4 Motorhome, Cummins-powered

pic, oops wrong thread, sorry.

#146 ·
Can you measure the width of the fender by the lower part of the door..Im really needing those fenders for my g ride van..Either my skinny ass is getting fatter or my springs have settled more, but my 285/40-24s rub when i am at full lock now..Since i will probably run a 33" tire when i put the 60 under it the fenders would make sense to buy now..Just dont wanna fawk em up by the tire hitting them.

#142 ·
complete fiberglass front clip like an MDT would allow for more room in the older vans. If a 7.3 fit, surely a 6L or 6.4 would fit, no?

would take some re-engineering for things that used to mount on the fenders, new core support, etc., but should not be too hard for some of the bad ass fabricators on here.

#143 ·
4x4 van question

On the ford vans, could I assume you guys are using the stock radius arm brackets and coil buckets on the van. Then using a bronco or truck axle, then fabbing up the panhard bracket??
Plus I was wondering about trans-and case options for the 7.4 turbo diesel. 4x4 vans kick ass

#145 ·
On the ford vans, could I assume you guys are using the stock radius arm brackets and coil buckets on the van. Then using a bronco or truck axle, then fabbing up the panhard bracket??
Plus I was wondering about trans-and case options for the 7.4 turbo diesel. 4x4 vans kick ass
most people use a leaf spring setup. its arguably easier from what i've seen, but either could be accomplished pretty easily. most people use a D60 which is already setup for leaf springs. a lot of the newer stuff uses super duty components grafted onto the van frame. they have been done lots of different ways over the years. i've even heard of vans with the twin traction beam grafted on, though i've yet to see any good photos of how it was done.

trans/case options are plenty, anything from a f250/350 4x4 would work, just need to make driveshafts to the proper length.

from the reading and measurements i've done, its usually necessary to cut off part of the front of the long gas tank on the drivers side (on some this is the only; on older ones, its one of two tanks) to clear the transfer case.

#149 ·
EMIEVEL
It looks like they will work for me..The vans is raised up as far as its practical with the stock arms..I just need 1/4" by the door it seems..since i need new fenders im gonna order a set..How is the fit and finish..They advertise a 1" rise and 3" flare so it should work when i toss on the 33s and the dana 60 also.

#150 ·
I've never put fiberglass fenders on anything before so they were the hardest and the easiest at the same time. :D

I had to remove some material but I could have had it done in a day. Someone (like Bryan :flipoff2:) who is used to fixing fiberglass on racecars all the time could probably do it in half the time.

#151 ·
1969 m725

BBC, 4L60 (built), NP208, D60/14bolt sprung over hi-steer, 38" Bajas, 4W PDB, Power steering, on board Viair with tank, 3 Optimas, air horns, siren, quartz/HID lights in homebuilt aimable rotating cover, rear/side lights, humvee mirrors, home-built overhead console with rear view camera video, custom military goretex material interior, Ron Davis radiator, tilt front clip, added 12V wipers/washer, removable mudflaps, 50 cal. ammo can center console, etc. 12K winch to come.

#160 · (Edited)
I have a one week old newborn that just came into our lives, so that's cramping my Samurai build productivity. Regardless, almost done with the endless sanding, need to mount the rear door, then hinge the pop top. Hoping to paint it by the end of the month. After that it will get a 2-3" lift and some new gears.

#165 ·
Here's a few of mine how it sits now. 2001 E350. 7.3L powerstroke. Eagle rims with 265/75r16 BFG at's. 4 hella 4000 HID's on bumper, 10.5' x 5' roof rack with aux lighting on isolated battery. I now have a D60 front axle for it and coilovers. Just need to get the transfer case and find some time to do the conversion.

#169 · (Edited)
I thought I had mine posted in here, guess not. This is the current state of my van project. D60 up front (ARB), Radius arms with King's, Duramax, NP205 divorced, D70S rear (open, ugh), Alcan springs, Bilstein 7100's in the rear + steering stabilizer, custom rear bumper, fuel tank, and 4" straight through exhaust, EFI Live. Runs and drives very well. Still a ways to go (interior is a big portion), but very usable for camping right now. Since there isn't much for a sense of size in the pics, I can say that the bottom of the windshield is above my shoulder, and I stand just over 6'2".

#171 · (Edited)
Thanks.

As for the Bilstein, I like them a lot. They do the job, reasonably priced, and are easy to take apart/revalve/etc if needed (I took them apart to shorten the remote res hoses initially). They ride nice, but might be just slightly too soft when I'm loaded down. Excellent when empty. The damping might be perfect when I put airbags on (not sure if airbags provide any damping), so I'm not going mess with them right now.

As for the steering stabilizer, I drove for about 2 months before adding one (never had an issue without one). I mounted mine high, up out of the way. Since I didn't really need one, I can't say much about it (although it does seem like a good idea regardless).

#174 ·
My 1990 Quigley E350

After many years of want, I finally joined the 4x4 van club

Just completed a lengthy road-trip from SW Colorado up to NW Washington and back. Besides an empty wallet (Gas!) and a high speed tire blow-out, it did great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.