Pirate 4x4 banner

Let's see your expo van or 4x4 van pics!

470K views 439 replies 187 participants last post by  151fab 
#1 ·
I'll post up my new ride in a few. I'm excited that I'm back in a van, a 4x4 van to be exact! The interior is pretty set up but I'm not sure if it will suit my needs.

Be back in a few...

#245 ·
Not mine, but I thought it was cool. Built by a guy in the Bay Area that has a European car shop. It has 930 half shafts, and long travel torsions and a bunch of other stuff.

Attachments

#246 ·
so this is the picture my buddy sent me of my van last Oct.

He and i went and picked it up, brought it home and started to put it all back together and clean it up. Getting it running again wasnt to hard. A basic tune up, and a carb rebuild got it running smooth... I have spent most of my effort on trying to make the body look "presentable". Im still planning on doing the interior and bumpers and a rack...

but this is how it sits as of now

#257 ·
So much want even though I have been railed by the Ford 6.0L. Are the van. Models any different?

DisabledDealer.com Mobile Site

Edit: I'll fix my picture posting issue tomorrow.
I have read in a bunch of places that the van motors are in a milder state of tune so with proper maintanence they do hold up better than the trucks. I think Imevil has a 6.0 in his van (that I want)

#275 ·
Good to know. I saw pics of one with what looked like the shittiest 4 link ever on earth. I'm not sure what to do. I have thought if I find the right van, having it converted, but it sounds pricey. Might go prerunner 2wd style as my current ride wouldn't make it to means dry lake. I do want low range to go slow though.

Arghhh. What a pain.

#277 ·
Frank, Bajablazer on here is converting Ford vans to 4x4 using TTB front axles. It's the way to go in my opinion. He's getting 5 or 6 inches of up travel and uses Fox coil-overs.

Look to spend near $10K, but you'll get the kind of craftsmanship you'd expect from a successful desert racer. He said it's ridiculous how fast he can drive that van in Baja.

I'll be pulling my Dana 44 out and using Ramsey's kit soon.

#276 ·
Yeah I looked into it a bit more last night. It really looks like it varies, but I assume on something as new as 2006, they'd simply use a 05+ Dana 60 since I'd assume they'd use an axle from a similar year truck.

#282 ·
I'm trying to decide between a E350 with a V10 or a 3500 Express with the Duramax. The E350 i believe would be easier for me to convert to 4wd. I'm thinking about putting the V10 on propane... The Duramax engines in the vans have been so de-tuned it's a shame. Drove one today, with the urea tank and the other emission junk it takes all the fun out of it....

#283 ·
I need some ideas for this gurl I just bought a couple months ago. I kinda like the T-19 trans, the RA-15 rear, the duallys and the aluminum body but the 345 (despite running near perfectly) is still pretty gutless with all my shit stuffed in her. So despite my absolute hatred for all things diesel....I think that's what I need to start planning for. And a front drive axle. With discs. And a t-case.

And some much better can holders......:D

#286 ·
here are a few pics of mine.

I recently bought a 74 Quadra van. It is solid with only one small rust hole in front of the drivers side rear tire. It has a 4Brl. 302 with c4 automatic. Dana 60 rear and Dana 44HD in the front. It is the short wheelbase with out windows except the rear doors.
I posted this on General Talk and didnt get any hits. I need help converting this to disc brake in the front. The dodge drums are shot. Having searched 11 wrecking yards today with zero luck, I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I understand the 77-79 F-250 disc brakes fit as well as 77-87 3/4 ton chevy. The hub/spindles are 6 bolt like GM with 8 lug rims.
Happy vaning

#287 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 74 Quadra van. It is solid with only one small rust hole in front of the drivers side rear tire. It has a 4Brl. 302 with c4 automatic. Dana 60 rear and Dana 44HD in the front. It is the short wheelbase with out windows except the rear doors.
I posted this on General Talk and didnt get any hits. I need help converting this to disc brake in the front. The dodge drums are shot. Having searched 11 wrecking yards today with zero luck, I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I understand the 77-79 F-250 disc brakes fit as well as 77-87 3/4 ton chevy. The hub/spindles are 6 bolt like GM with 8 lug rims.
Happy vaning

Try this website
Econoline Message Board

Lots of Mid-Ford info there...including 4x4s like yours.

Oh, and COOL van!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.