F-700 4x4 Camper - Page 20 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #476 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynez71 View Post
Truck has come a long ways, looks good!

Hows the dibond exterior holding up? Im in the process of building a new ice shack out of dibond and while the weight savings are great, im kind of worried about it yellowing.

Cheers

Layne
The diamond is used heavily in the sign industry which is heavy in UV exposure, it should hold up OK, mine is good so far but hasn't really seen that much sun exposure. I haven't ruled out painting the camper either, thats a wait and see thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #477 (permalink)

Member # 16790
I got my underbody boxes back from powder coating, they turned out good. Also had a local cabinet maker respond to a want add, turned out he worked for a few people I know that build portable rig shacks so he was definitely familiar with cabinetry for rough applications, he made all new cabinet doors from maple and installed everything with upgraded catches that take a bit of force to open, thanks David from Timberwolf, excellent job. I also kind of screwed up a bit and didn't really consider clearance lighting when I framed it all up, what it did was keep me looking for a really good option for clearance lights that are weatherproof and easy to install. I found these little LED clearance lights from Truck Lite, the require a 3/8 hole (I drilled the holes 2 sizes smaller for a tighter fit, worked really good) and they have 2 sided tape to provide an additional seal and keep things put. I figured that if I'm trusting tape to hold the walls on that it should work fine for clearance lights. All I have left on the outside is a crash guard that will protect the propane tank, it will get screened with expanded metal to make a secure outside storage area for dirty stuff too, install the front amber clearance lights, and solar panels. Then it will be back to wiring and plumbing the inside of the camper along with all the trim, lots left but for some reason it seems to be getting knocked off with little effort lately.

The biggest pain was the clearance lights being 11' off the ground!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #478 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX View Post
95-97 powerstroke F series had an electric pump to run the vacuum actuated A/C
The 95-97 F-series have vacuum brakes and a belt driven vacuum pump. I have one of these and am sure of the pump. It's a common item that OBS PSD owners have to replace.

Only the F-Superduty of those years would have had an electric vacuum pump as they had hydroboost power brakes instead of vacuum.

Last edited by CSP; 08-06-2012 at 02:51 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #479 (permalink)

Member # 16790
I cadded up and cut out the parts to make a transfer case shifter for the low/neutral/high selector, the front axle engage is air. A urethane suspension bushing with the sleeve machined down a bit so it turns easy will make for a nice quiet rattle free shifter. Linkage will be a couple of rod ends and a chunk of rod, it's a straight shot to the t case.

I started the storage unit for the generator and dirty stuff, it is designed so the generator can run in place, I might try and run the exhaust into the tailpipe of the truck if I can find an easy way to plumb it, something nice and flexible. The box also doubles as a crash bar for the propane tank just in case. The door will cover the gap between the front box and I am installing a remote fill right behind the door for easier fill ups.

Mag drill is the only way!

Frame mount bolted in.

The frame mounts are 2 1/2" .215 wall seamless tubing, same stuff we make hitch receivers from, has enough clearance to let the 2" tubing slide in and still tighten up nicely when the box mount bolts are tightened.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #480 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Found a really cool tank gauge monitor system, check out the 709 model http://www.rvgauge.com/products/model_709.shtml , the sensors are on the outside of the tank and show a percentage for level rather than relying on sensors that always seem to get fouled up on the inside of the tank, EVERY RV I have owned has had a shitty level sensing set up. The only problem is that they will not read through the aluminum holding tanks, the manufacturer says that a few people have put a pvc level tube on the outside of a metal tank and stuck the sensors to the tube, I'm not opposed to the idea but I want something that I never have to look at again either, any ideas?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #481 (permalink)

Member # 150595
I like the Ida of have a clear sight tube on the exterior of the tank that the sensor mounts on. That way if there ever is a issue, you can visually check the level without having to open / dip the tank.

External sight tubes are something I already add to all my slip tanks. It sure beats sticking a dirty stick in the tank.

Nat
Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #482 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48084
The awesomeness continues. I love this build.

What type of tape are you using to hold those clearance lights on?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #483 (permalink)

Member # 16790
The clearance lights come with 3M 2 sided tape already on them, install was pretty slick, All of the lights have to pass through the frame tubes which was the difficulty I was facing, I needed something that didn't make much of a hole to install, bonus that the wiring passes through the only hole required to install.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #484 (permalink)

Member # 16790
I sheeted in the generator box, it's a snug fit but it works good. The hole inside will be screened in with expanded metal and all the corners in the bottom are cut at a 45 degree angle to let any moisture in. I want this box to breathe because the generator will hopefully be able to run inside as soon as I figure out the exhaust which shouldn't be much. The box will also hold the hydraulic jack, wheel wrench, and 110 volt shore power cord which can be run to the generator or pulled out and plugged into a 30 amp supply. The propane filler is also getting moved out for access, the 3/16 aluminum lid is oversized to the front to hide all the connections and such.

And here is the backsplash for the area behind the sink, stove, and beside the fridge. Looks like tile, but made from aluminum sheet, going to powder coat it a sandy textured light brown, I wanted to hit it with a rotary scotch pad and clear coat it but the wife doesn't like the metal look near as much as I do. Gotta keep her happy too.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #485 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
I love checking this thread for updates. Top quality man.

91 Xcab--4D's, chromo 60's, locked, TR's, Now receiving a facelift with Links, a cammed 5.3 with z06 goodies, built 700r4, and 2spd Stak
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #486 (permalink)

Member # 16790
A trial fit of the generator is good for transportation, it could run inside with the exhaust out the bottom but too tight at the front for my taste so I'm going to put a good heavy duty hinge and support cables on the door and I can run it there when I have to use it. Would work really good if the pull rope was on the other side. I bought a Kipor 2600 watt generator, pulled the easy covers off of it right beside a Honda, couldn't find any differences so i bought it, followed up online and found good feedback which made me happy, anybody have any good or bad on these?

I cut, formed, and tigged up a set of wheel well guards to keep the crap off of the good stuff, they are cut from .160 5052 aluminum and all corners are gusseted and mounting points doubled, should deflect most of the crap if a tire goes south.

Cleaned and sanded all the exterior welds, going to powder coat them white.

Installed. Going to make a sewer hose holder that will fit in the triangular opening with the end past anything it can drip on, they are always flushed with the grey water then rinsed with fresh water but I still have a bit of contempt for the ol sewer hose. The other side will get a little storage box to fill the hole up.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #487 (permalink)

Member # 150595
As always.

Nat
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #488 (permalink)
Forever being built

Member # 94308
The gravel will take the paint off the fenders quick, I'd box liner them.... Just throwing that idea out there.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #489 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1 View Post
The gravel will take the paint off the fenders quick, I'd box liner them.... Just throwing that idea out there.
Good idea, I'd only do the underside though, I don't like the look of the stuff on an exterior surface. That would quiet things down too. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #490 (permalink)

Member # 41708
So...when you are done with this one, you do realize that you are going to have orders to build more. Since you have had so much fun do this....mass produce them.

I truly admire your skills and patience.

'56 CJ6 - 4.3, 904, D300 w4:1, 60/70, 5.38's, 35spline chromo, 42" IROKS....family crawler

'71 Chevy 4x4, built 502, 1 tons and 40's

G-Man Racing #213 - LQ9, 400, 4sp Atlas, 70/14B, 5.13's 39 BFG's....2013 LCQ we are going to give it all we have!!!
MY56CJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #491 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Whats your recommendations on this generator.

Edit: Just saw this http://tweetys.com/kipor-ig2600hp-in...generator.aspx

Quote:
The IG2600HP comes standard as a parallel version. A convenient retractable wheel and handle kit makes it very easy to transport and move around any place you need it. With a 2300 watt run load, it is able to provide a lot of steady clean power to operate a number of different appliances and tools. With the optional parallel kit, two IG2600HP models can be connected to provide 5200 watts of power. Not CARB Compliant - Can not ship to California.
Also, SeeLevel is what I'll be going with for my tanks, solely based off web research. I plan taking the "site" tube idea but different. My idea is to run a pvc tube down the middle (or near the drain/lowest spot) of the holding tank(s) and attach the indicator inside the tube. That way no debri/water has to go in the tube rather than just remain in the tank outside the tube. This may be an R as I am still a noob to trailer/RV building. Going through with my first build now.
Attached Images

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-23-2012 at 01:15 PM.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #492 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
Whats your recommendations on this generator.
Looks like a Honda, sounds like a Honda, starts like a Honda, and a Honda is pretty good so time will tell. Obviously Honda must be making generators in China so I am ultimately supporting a chinese product regardless of which I buy which makes that point mute. It was about half the price and had good reviews online.....for what that is worth.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #493 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY56CJ6 View Post
So...when you are done with this one, you do realize that you are going to have orders to build more. Since you have had so much fun do this....mass produce them.

I truly admire your skills and patience.
Thanks!

I'm thinking about selling this one and building a bigger unit, which is absolutely retarded considering I've been building this one for 4 years!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #494 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Didn't like how loose the generator was so I fabbed a properly sized tray with tie down points.

Much better

With strap, clears door.

Cut and formed a step from .250" aluminum, storage for shoes underneath.

Thanks for the link Liberty Sand, good idea for the tube too.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #495 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Another cool feature of the parallel linked generators is that you can hook different sizes together, i.e. 2000 watt to a 1000 watt.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #496 (permalink)
Cryptid

Member # 102467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Anybody know where there is a mint Revcon?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/3180446900.html

Last edited by LigBoozer; 08-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
LigBoozer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #497 (permalink)

Member # 16790
That one has been for sale for a while, I think it is a good deal.There is one in Michigan I have been trying to get a hold of with 12 000 original miles on it, it's advertised all over hell for $30K, I have not had one response from any of the listing parties. Wouldn't one of those rigs with 3 Rockwells underneath and some big Michelins be cool as hell?!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #498 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
To Bad that Revcon wasnt a 7.3. I would sell both Loadstars for that! I might have to go look at that Revcon this weekend.

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #499 (permalink)

Member # 187502
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
To Bad that Revcon wasnt a 7.3. I would sell both Loadstars for that! I might have to go look at that Revcon this weekend.
Thats exactly what i was thinking, a 7.3 would be sweet but if i ever bought one id put a 5.9 cummins in it, idk about the rockwells though,theyd definetly be strong but i think the truck would sit pretty high and be top heavy and theyd be pretty heavy on that truck thats probably not too light from the beginning

Last edited by surfingsnow510; 09-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
surfingsnow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #500 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Rockwells? I dunno, Those huge toploaders are going to mean you'd have to lift it (a lot) and unless you go with 5-ton Rockwells, you end up with an oddball lug pattern and drum brakes. Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me. I forget what axle you put under the frontend of your truck, but that's a pretty rad setup. Why wouldn't you want to do that again?

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 09-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote