mah deuce - Page 19 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #451 (permalink)

Member # 41063
If there is nothing wrong with the military fuel and air tanks, why swap?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #452 (permalink)

Member # 210044
Unfortunately, I don't own a deuce yet, but from all I've heard, the air tanks are small, and hard to drain the water from. If you're already mucking around underneath, why not look into a larger tank setup for greater capacity, makes it easier to fill tires and such, as well as maybe putting an automatic air drier on, esp. as he's lookign to be living in and theoretically parking this beast for extended periods, frozen tanks and lines suck.. Most OTR companies and truck repair shops have either wrecked trucks or "yard horse" trucks sitting around, might be a good souce for some parts. And he had mentioned replacing or augmenting the fuel tank with another, and one that was already constructed, inspected and highway approved might be an easy way to go. just my rambling .2
morlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #453 (permalink)

Member # 41063
In all my dealings with military trucks and their owners, I don't think I have ever head about anyone complaining about the capacity or difficulty draining the air tanks. Also, keep in mind that a M44(M35) series truck is air over hydraulic so they don't require as much air as a road tractor.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #454 (permalink)

Member # 30721
There's nothing wrong with the stock fuel tanks, and would only replace them with something custom-built to improve ground clearance / break-over angle (the tanks hang way down below the framerails). Nothing wrong with the air tanks either. They're small, but am just going to add more. There are two stock, and think I have about 10-12 of them now? They're actually a great size, and nestle right into the C-channel on the inside of the framerails. Not going to use all of them for air though, some will be used to store fluids.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #455 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Waiting to hear how much the sandblasting and paint is going to end up costing, hoping I'll have enough money left to order all the steering and braking components that I'll need in order to get this thing back on the road. Budget is tight enough at this point that I think I might wait to build the enclosure for the trailer until I've 'finished' the truck. Wouldn't make much sense to spend any time/money on the trailer until I've got something to pull it with, except that it sure would be nice to have somewhere to store all the parts and materials that I've got piled-up everywhere.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #456 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22748
Bad ass, probably the most organized build thread on here.
Makes me want a duce bad.

R.I.P. Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #457 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Got in touch with Craig at R & I Industries about those hubsteps hubsteps. Just received some samples and they look great. Much better than the parts that Ballistic cut for me a while ago. Satisfied with the quality, went ahead and ordered 10pr.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-19-2012 at 10:58 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #458 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Craig rules!

What's a hubstep?
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #459 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Might want to be careful with those steps on here. You are technically violating the vendor rules without a yellow star.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #460 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Craig rules!
Yeah, dunno why I didn't think to contact him sooner. Just didn't occur to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
What's a hubstep?
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Might want to be careful with those steps on here. You are technically violating the vendor rules without a yellow star.
Ah, good call. Not trying to get into the business of making/selling anything, so... nevermind.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #461 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Just picked up nine brand new window-frames and screens for less than $25 each from a forum member over on steelsoldiers. Gotta love military surplus! There was nothing wrong with my window-frames, but the screens were trashed and it'll be a lot easier to drill out a few rivets than to install a bunch of new screens in the old frames.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #462 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Talked to Tom this morning and he told me that he'd removed the box and sandblasted and primed the chassis, so I hopped on my bike and ripped down there to take a look-see. Mmmm, it's looking very sexual...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #463 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Tom's done a great job so far. It only took him 3.5hrs to sandblast the whole chassis and he did a really thorough job. There's not a speck of grime or grit left anywhere. The box on the otherhand, is looking pretty shabby by comparison now.

Tom's hoping he'll have time time to paint the chassis next week. As soon as it's done, am going to hook-up the towbar to the chassis and flat-tow it home so I can install the new engine, transmission, transfer-case, etc. Planning on hauling the cab down there to have it painted (it's already been sandblasted and primed) when I go to pick up the chassis, and then as soon as that's done I'll be able to finish putting the truck back together. Have to sort-out the new hydraulic steering and brakes, but the rest of it should be pretty straightforward. And while I'm working on the truck, Tom will get the box sandblasted, primed, and painted. Hoping that I'll be able to drive the truck down there to pick it up!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #464 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Looking good. Is the final color for the chassis going to be black or are you going with 383 green?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #465 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out too. Chassis, drivetrain and the underside of the truck/box is all going to be painted semi-gloss black. Would have gone flat, but was told that the hardeners they put in the semi and gloss paints make them a lot more durable than a flat paint. The new engine and transfer-case both have fresh coats of 383, so am going to leave those alone.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #466 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Sexy Jesse sexy.......
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #467 (permalink)

Member # 29693
Send a message via AIM to JeepPhisherman
Found your thread last week, read it all and subscribed! And update on the cab this week?
JeepPhisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #468 (permalink)

Member # 30721
No, it's not looking like I'm going to be able to pick up the chassis this week. Will take the cab and some misc. bodyparts down to get painted whenever it's ready.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #469 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
he is simply saying where he bought a part.....
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #470 (permalink)

Member # 30721
No, I edited my post. Had originally posted that I was had a few extra made and was offering them for sale, Mostly just to make them available and help recover the cost of making my own parts.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #471 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Take that back. Just got off the phone with Tom at Agri-Trade and the chassis is all finished being painted. Says it's ready to be picked-up!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #472 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Good to hear you are making progress with this build. Looking forward to see it come together.

Also, I wasn't trying to bust you out on the Yellow Star thing, I just know how aggressive the Mods can be about that stuff and didn't want you to get banned and we not get to see the build finished. You can still sell them over at SteelSoldiers, correct? So if anyone wanted them they could buy a set over there.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #473 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Got down there and hooked-up the towbar, said goodbye, thinking that it was going to be an in-and-out deal. But as soon as I pulled away, the front wheels flopped over to one side. Reversed. Pulled forward again. Same result, but to the other side. Jockeyed with it for a few minutes, but it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to flat-tow the chassis home like that.

Had a sneaking suspicion that it might have something to do with the lack of caster that they built into these trucks (in order to make them a little bit easier to steer without any type of power-assist). But the leafspring pads that saddle the axletubes have the caster built into them, and I had read that it was possible to just flip them around in order to gain some caster. Sounded pretty simple and had been planning on messing with the caster whenever I got around to working on the steering, but now flipping those wedges around was my only hope of avoiding another hefty tow-bill. So I asked Tom if it would be alright if I used some of his tools, and instead of answering yes or no, he grabbed some tools and gave me a hand.

The threads on the u-bolts were clean, but I was only able to break two of the nuts loose. The rest of them needed a little bit of persuasion (heat).

Then we found out that the locating pins on the axlehousing are offset to the rear, so we had to drill new holes in the leafspring pads in order to flip them around (the leafspring pad on the left in the 2nd pic has already been drilled).

Re-installed them and Tom gave me the thumbs-up as I pulled around his shop to see if the wheels would track straight. Problem-solved, and it was an uneventful drive back home.

There wasn't anyone around to help me park it (push it), so I pulled as far forward into the driveway as I could, then hooked-up the towbar to the back of mah deuce and pushed it a little ways further up the driveway. Noticed that the clevis attachment points at the rear of the frame use smaller pins than the ones up front. Not sure why, but will probably do something about that, just in case I ever have to do this push/pull dance again.

Ready to start re-assembling! Almost time to drop the new engine into place. Going to haul the cab and some misc. body parts down to Agri-Trade next week. Not sure how long it'll be before I get it all back together, but there's not a whole lot left to do.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #474 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 148659
Just talked to my dad and he said he just saw this thing at Agri-Trade haha. Like the way this thing is turning out, nice job.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #475 (permalink)

Member # 15257
If you want some help putting it back together ill come down and give u hand.

"it went bang" means "its fucked".

My Build Thread.

Last edited by BurbanFreek; 03-15-2012 at 08:48 PM.
BurbanFreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.