mah deuce - Page 21 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #501 (permalink)
Guerrilla Machinist

Member # 193488
Been reading this build thread off and on all weekend and I'm blown away with all the info and pics.....great work Jesse, incredible craftsmanship and taste .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Don't get the wrong idea about me guys. It's not privilege that makes stuff like this possible, it's priorities. I've been busting my ass for the last three years that I've been building this thing, and sure, I'm really lucky to find myself in circumstances that have made it a little bit easier for me, but any kind of big transition like this is going to require a person to make some hard decisions and compromises.
Most anything worthwhile , usually does . You chose well .

04' RAM quad 1500~daily driver
94' RAM 2500~Snow Zombie Plow Rig Project
GUNSLINGER 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #502 (permalink)
Guerrilla Machinist

Member # 193488
Hey , question to Jesse , or anyone for that matter . . . . does Painless , or anyone else make a wiring harness for the deuce ? Or are they all custom ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #503 (permalink)

Member # 41063
There are reproduction type harnesses available for many MVs, but I don't think Painless or anyone else makes a custom fit one. Keep in mind that MVs are 24V so some of the relays and so on with a typical Painless kit many not work unless you convert to 12V, which would be a backward step in my opinion. Also, since all the older MVs just use all black wire, numbered tags and almost always the same style connectors, many people just buy the wire, connectors and new tags and just build a new harness from scratch if they can't find a NOS or good used one. The older MVs are very simple to work on and the harnesses are not very complicated.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #504 (permalink)
Guerrilla Machinist

Member # 193488
Sure , there aint that much to a harness , prolly most folks just make one if the dont go the repop or nos route .

Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #505 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Can anybody help me source these Hydro-Max parts?

Spent this morning visiting Napa (can't get Bosch parts) and a few big truck places (can't find any 24V applications). Local International dealer quoted me $850+ for a master cylinder and brake booster, and I would still have to buy another 24V booster pump separately. So unfortunately, new parts might not be in the budget. But if I have to source parts from a salvage yard, would still be really helpful to have a better idea of how to find what I'm looking for. Just got off the phone with Bosch parts department, waiting for a call back, hoping to get some parts numbers for the following:

master cylinder with 2" (50.8mm) bore)
24V booster assembly
24V booster motor (separately)
pedal rod ends (double clevis-type & threaded-type)
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #506 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Think I just found out everything I needed to know about the Hydro-Max system and components. Stoked to finally get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #507 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Still working on the front winch mount. Decided to incorporate the lower grill mounts, so was able to gusset-up the side-plates a bit more. Obviously still not done...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #508 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Ordered some deuce-specific parts from Memphis Equipment. They had everything I needed in-stock and the guy who helped me was real nice, and patient! Was asking a lot of dumb questions, about parts I'm not familiar with, and he answered them all with a great attitude. Appreciate that kind of service.

So now that I've got these gaskets, I'm ready to get into the engine-swap. Started a thread on steelsoldiers about this part of the project a while ago. Pretty straightforward. Just need to swap some parts (like the turbos), flip the oil pan around, make a few small modifications, maybe re-torque a few things, might need to swap bellhousings, bolt-up the transmission, and then drop it in.

Also received another batch of hubsteps from R&I Industries. Just had them cut the parts for the first batch and then put them together myself. Had them assemble/weld them up this time. Have been really happy with everything they've done for me so far, especially after having such a hard time finding a decent laser-shop.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #509 (permalink)

Member # 181746
This build is just awesome. I followed it from the beginning and really like to read the updates.

Keep up the great work...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #510 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Almost finished with the winch mounts. Just have to mirror this assembly and then tweak the geometry a bit (because the winch is offset to the driver's-side). Probably going to end up making another set of new winch mounts whenever I get around to designing/building a custom front bumper, but these will get me by in the meantime. Trying to stay focused on what's most important, and really shouldn't be spending too much time dicking around with this stuff right now. Probably not going to bother with the rear-mounted winch either. Already have the winch, and have reserved that space for it, but would rather focus on things like the plumbing and electrical systems, etc.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 04-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #511 (permalink)

Member # 5963
are you using AutoCAD or SolidWorks? Looks like SolidWorks. How long did it take you to draw that up and make it all fit?

I love building stuff that way. If only I could get paid to do it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #512 (permalink)

Member # 215769
Previously, he has used Solidworks.
ronaldpottol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #513 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
SolidWorks all the way! Probably have about 20hrs into these winch mounts so far, but there's probably only about 4-6hrs of real CAD work, and the majority of that time is related to all the little tabs and slots that should make these things a lot easier to assemble and weld.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #514 (permalink)

Member # 215769
cost?

Would you be willing to do some sort of cost breakdown? I dream of doing this with an M36A3 (like Rob Gray's wothahellizat http://robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/index.php ).

I'm not too fussy, about the only thing I'd ask is to split the cost of the truck and the cost of everything else (and if you want to lump transfer cases and motors in with the truck cost or not, I don't care), but some sort of ballpark as to how much this sort of thing will run a person would be very interesting.

I'm a local, a San Jose native (no, really, born and raised) living in the East Bay right now.
ronaldpottol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #515 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Yeah, have been keeping track of expenses, but am not going to put anything together until it's 'finished'. But if you're doing all the work yourself, $20,000-30,000 in parts? All depends on how crazy you wanna go, you know?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #516 (permalink)

Member # 5963
I'm an AutoCAD man. I haven't spent much time on SolidWorks. Is much quicker? I've done similar designs in CAD and it takes a good while as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #517 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
I'm an AutoCAD man. I haven't spent much time on SolidWorks. Is much quicker? I've done similar designs in CAD and it takes a good while as well.
We use both. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, we like the simulation function of Solidworks, and it seems to be getting better with every update.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #518 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Quote:
I learned how to use AutoCAD in college, in the late 90's, right as they were making the transition to 3D (R14 -> 2000) and it was really cumbersome back then. But I stuck with AutoCAD because it's what I knew and was comfortable with. Finally made the jump to SolidWorks in 2006 and was kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. I am mostly self-taught, and had a hard time getting up-to-speed, but the great thing about SW is that it's getting easier to learn/use every year. Just upgraded to 2012 (from 2010) and am loving it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #519 (permalink)

Member # 132925
Quote:
Autodesk has Inventor which makes doing 3d modeling SO MUCH simpler.

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/

The problem with inventor is the cost compared to solidworks
Citzen_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #520 (permalink)

Member # 198279
Is inventor more than solid works now?
baconoffroad.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #521 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Ran into a little problem related to the geometry of some of the plates for the passenger-side winch mounting bracket that I need to alter (due to the winch being offset to the driver's-side). After mirroring the parts from one side to the other, the sketches in the mirrored parts aren't displaying right. So when I modify the sketches, it messes the whole part up. Don't have much experience with this, as most of the parts I've needed to mirror in the past remain symmetrical mirror images of the original parts. But every time I run into a problem like this, I learn something new. Just asked about this on the SolidWorks user forum, and am looking forward to finding out what I might have been doing wrong...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #522 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I have to ask, why the modified brackets? If you are using the stock winch and stock bumper, why not use the factory brackets or at least a fabricated version of the stock brackets? Are you moving the winch around in relation to the frame? Or is this related/necessary due to changes you are making to the front clip?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #523 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Well, the first and most important reason is that the winches I bought didn't come with mounting brackets. Or anything else. The dumbass sent both trucks to the scrapyard with the mounts and all the PTO stuff and... what a waste. Anyway, the other reason is that I've seen more than a few pictures of the stock winch mounting brackets that have cracked/bent. Cargo deuces equipped with a winch weigh about 13,500lbs, and an empty M109 with a winch weighs about 3,000lbs more than that. Then with all the weight I'm adding, and the fact that I'm going to be pulling a 5,000-6000lb trailer most of the time... just seemed like a good idea to design/build something a little bit beefier.

These winch mounting brackets put the winch and the bumper in the stock locations, and whenever I get around to designing/building a custom front bumper, I'll make another set of winch mounting brackets to suck everything in a little bit tighter. Stock winch mounting brackets push the front bumper out 13.5", and I think I can shave at least 3-4" off that. But don't want to waste time/money on building a custom front bumper right now. More important things to focus on.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #524 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Had been planning on replacing the stock u-bolts on the front axle with something a little bit more streamlined, and after I had to heat the u-bolts to flip the leafspring perches in order to tow mah deuce home from salinas, figured I might as well do it now.

Decided to replace the u-bolts with regular 3/4" Grade 8 bolts, which will probably end up being about 7-8" long. So I designed these little dealios today. Still have to do all the tabs and slots, and will make a simple flat rectangular plate to replace the stock u-bolt plate. Might replace the stock rubber bumpers on the u-bolt plates with frame-mounted rubber bumpers like the back axles use, and/or I might extend the upper u-bolt plate outwards far enough to serve as a strikepad for a set of a set of hydraulic bumpstops. Need to spend a little more time thinking about what I want to do with the front suspension, where I want to put the new shock mounts, anti-swaybar, etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #525 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Just use U-bolts. They have better clamping force and are less prone to working loose. K.I.S.S.