mah deuce - Page 26 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #626 (permalink)

Member # 57373
Question on Toilet & black water

Hello Jesse,
I'm in the planning stages of a similar project and was wondering what you ended up going with for the toilet and black water system and how that has worked out for you? You did live in it for a period, right?
I know you discussed several options and had decided on one point on an 'Electramagic 80'. Is that what you've been using? Thoughts on it?

I will also agree with you on the bedliner, if not prepped right, it's a nightmare. I had a problem on a previous baja bug project. But it's good to see that you have some more help on this project!
rassd71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #627 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Yeah, I've put about 4000 miles on it and spent it a few months living in it so far, but the plumbing and electrical systems are not done yet, so it's been a little bit more like camping (in style). Planning on transferring solid waste from the toilet to two holding tanks that will be in the trailer, which I'm hoping that I'll be able to fill and compost, alternating between the two. The idea is to avoid having to go to dump stations.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 06-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #628 (permalink)

Member # 120439
Im sure youve said already but what color will you go back with? Original? A glossy desert tan would look fantastic.

Great job so far!
6erwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #629 (permalink)

Member # 30721
The chassis and everything on the underside is going to be black and the truck and box are getting painted white.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #630 (permalink)

Member # 41063
White?!?!? Come on, you know 383 will look sooooo much better.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #631 (permalink)

Member # 86225
Really ?? You do all this, and then white ?
5Cyl Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #632 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Just read through this thread, all I have to say is awesome. Really wish I could do something like this.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #633 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Not sure what to say regarding the color. It's not a military vehicle anymore and that's not really the kind of attention I want to attract, and think it's going to look pretty sharp in white. Just simple, and clean, and a lot less menacing. It's not going to stay white forever though. Will get re-painted and/or wrapped from time-to-time, but if it's any kind of camo, it'll probably be more like monkeys swinging through the jungle than any kind of real military theme.

Talked to Tommy today and the cab and fenders and a bunch of other parts are all done (painted). Going to take it over to Johnny's Custom Autobody in Gilroy sometime next week so they can spray the bedliner. Going to try to line-up a forklift or find an engine hoist or something so I can install the new engine and have everything ready to plop the new cab onto the chassis whenever it's ready to come home. Best guess is that it might start to look like a truck again sometime in the next 2-3 weeks...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #634 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Eh, white looks a little too "Public Works" for me.

And yes, it's still a military vehicle, it always will be.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #635 (permalink)
Bitter old man

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Not sure what to say regarding the color. It's not a military vehicle anymore and that's not really the kind of attention I want to attract, and think it's going to look pretty sharp in white. Just simple, and clean, and a lot less menacing. It's not going to stay white forever though. Will get re-painted and/or wrapped from time-to-time, but if it's any kind of camo, it'll probably be more like monkeys swinging through the jungle than any kind of real military theme.
Suggest you consider knocking down the white a bit so that it is not 100% pure white. A little off-white will lessen the refrigerator look and generally soften the vehicle's appearance. You can go off-white in any direction you want: tans, grays, even blues. Just a touch so that it is not stark white.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #636 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Suggest you consider knocking down the white a bit so that it is not 100% pure white. A little off-white will lessen the refrigerator look and generally soften the vehicle's appearance. You can go off-white in any direction you want: tans, grays, even blues. Just a touch so that it is not stark white.
It's Ford's 'fleet white'. Think Tommy said the paint code is 817, and he knocked it down to a semi-gloss.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #637 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Eh, white looks a little too "Public Works" for me.
See, and I think those look pretty cool. Maybe kinda boring, but mine will have a little bit more contrast with a lot of the trim being painted black.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #638 (permalink)

Member # 29037
While I know staying in RV parks is not on your mind, understand most of them would be hesitant to allow a camouflage painted rig. The white with maybe some graphics would make an intimidating rig less intimidating.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #639 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Why would the color scheme of a truck keep it out of an RV park? It's and RV or it isn't. Color shouldn't make a fuck, especially with some of the ugly assed RVs rolling around these days.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #640 (permalink)

Member # 215769
RV parks can be rather loopy, not allowing older RVs, regardless of condition, is common, for example.
ronaldpottol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #641 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldpottol View Post
RV parks can be rather loopy, not allowing older RVs, regardless of condition, is common, for example.
That's retarded.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #642 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Sounds like they need their RV park turned into a smoking ruin.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #643 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldpottol View Post
Yeah it is hard sometimes to find one that will take anything older than 10 years old. There are some that will let you in if it looks well taken care of though. Sometimes it's worth the time and effort to stop and scrub the road dirt off. You have to remember most of the people who stay in RV parks are older retired folks with new $100K plus rigs. It would be like you keeping your yard up and your house painted when your next door neighbor doesn't this mostly happens in the new upscale places with all the amities. I was staying in a park last year near Dateland AZ. on a job flat desert in June the only people there were 13 other workers from the job, the owner showed up and decided my 1976 Class C wasn't classy enough for his bare patch of desert. It worked out most of us were laid off the next week and they were stuck with an empty lot! I wanted to do a skoolie, but I have decided it isn't worth the hassle when your a full timer like me.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #644 (permalink)

Member # 112455
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Yeah it is hard sometimes to find one that will take anything older than 10 years old. There are some that will let you in if it looks well taken care of though. Sometimes it's worth the time and effort to stop and scrub the road dirt off. You have to remember most of the people who stay in RV parks are older retired folks with new $100K plus rigs. It would be like you keeping your yard up and your house painted when your next door neighbor doesn't this mostly happens in the new upscale places with all the amities. I was staying in a park last year near Dateland AZ. on a job flat desert in June the only people there were 13 other workers from the job, the owner showed up and decided my 1976 Class C wasn't classy enough for his bare patch of desert. It worked out most of us were laid off the next week and they were stuck with an empty lot! I wanted to do a skoolie, but I have decided it isn't worth the hassle when your a full timer like me.
Must be a SW kind of thing?

Also, agreed with Elenwil. The white looks absolutely horrible on mil vehicles. I'd think pretty much everything but lime screen or electric pink would look better than white on a duece.

Last edited by lurchseesu; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.
lurchseesu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #645 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5587
White make s a great base coast of all kinds of stripes and graphics once it's all together. You'll figure it out!

And yes, some RV parks are all uppity about the year and type of the RV wanting to park in their campgrounds. Had it come up on mine before. My Class A is 23 years old and still looks new, if it's had a bath. It was a $165 K rig when it was new. And yet, I've been turned away from places before because it was over 5 years old. I figure if they are that stuck up, I don't want to give them my money anyway and their Guest are probably no fun either. Could be that big fat tired 4 X 4 that was being dragged behind it had something to do with it!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #646 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchseesu View Post
Must be a SW kind of thing?
Could be the last time I was East of the Mississippi was in 92/93 and swore I would never cross again.

Last edited by bigun; 07-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #647 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Are we done talking about the paint?

Went down to Pacific Fabrication and talked to Kevin about borrowing a forklift to install the new engine. Think that might happen sometime later this week, and am really looking forward to getting that over and done with.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #648 (permalink)

Member # 81037
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Are we done talking about the paint?

Went down to Pacific Fabrication and talked to Kevin about borrowing a forklift to install the new engine. Think that might happen sometime later this week, and am really looking forward to getting that over and done with.
You mean you're not going to try to rent another cherry picker?
B.O.R.D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #649 (permalink)

Member # 30721
DONE with the engine-swap. At least the hard part. Big thanks to Kevin at Pacific Fabrication for letting be borrow one of their forklifts, and thanks for the hand today Brett.

Picked up that forklift this morning, lifted the new engine, dropped the oilpan and pulled off pickups for the 5-ton.

But couldn't quite figure out how the 2.5-ton oil pickups were supposed to be installed, so dropped the oilpan on the old engine to take a look. Wanted to do that anyway to see what the extent of the damage was (engine hoist from A Tool Shed failed and dropped it). The oilpan was smashed-up and both of the oil pickups were damaged, but luckily that was it.

Installed new oil pickups and oilpan gaskets. Used copper gasket spray and a little bit of RTV at the joints (multi-piece oilpan seal). Sealed it all up and dropped it into the chassis. Was an easy job with the right tools and a bit of help.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 07-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #650 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Also got the old engine all fixed-up (new oil pickups and oilpan) and dropped that into the engine-crate for safe-keeping. Might sell it, or might keep it for a spare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.