mah deuce - Page 27 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #651 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Lookin good Jesse, feels good to get a big "visible" chunk done eh?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #652 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Lookin good Jesse, feels good to get a big "visible" chunk done eh?
Yes! Can't wait to plop the cab back on top of the chassis. Hopefully next week.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #653 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Progress!!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #654 (permalink)

Member # 105716
slick build.

Thanks for sharing. I'll bet your itching to get out into the dirt again.

Last edited by Gravy; 07-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #655 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Spent most of the day making and managing lists of things-to-do, and the rest of it fiddling with a bunch of little stuff. Switched the oil dipstick from the rear sump to the front sump, re-indexed the new starter to work with the 2.5-ton bellhousing and got that installed, installed the ground-straps, etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #656 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Also cut-up the radiator shroud to clear the gear-driven hydraulic pump on the front of the engine. Took a while, trimming a little bit at a time, leaving as much of the shroud intact as possible. Going to add some material back to the shroud tomorrow to reinforce that area where there's not much left...

Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #657 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107014
Are you worried about any type of flex from the motor that may push the pump into the radiator? Would hate to see something so simple and small ruin a great truck and trip! Looking great!
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #658 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by despain85 View Post
Are you worried about any type of flex from the motor that may push the pump into the radiator? Would hate to see something so simple and small ruin a great truck and trip! Looking great!
No. The fan is a lot closer to the radiator than the pump. Cut a lot of extra clearance around the pump because the radiator is mounted on springs so that it can move/flex with the body/chassis. But the fan is actually close enough that it makes me nervous. Would like to make some kind of guard to keep the fan out of the radiator, and would also like to install a fan with some kind of clutch, but am not sure if there's enough room to do either of those things. It's tight in there! If I leave the A3 hood full-length, that buys me a little more room, but if I push the radiator forward at all, it will hit the winch and would rather not move the winch any further forward. It already adds something like 13" to the frontend. A few people have tried different combinations of electric fans and that's not a viable option. At least not for this vehicle.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 07-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #659 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Mounted the Hydromax master cylinder and brake booster today. Had to clearance the brake booster where it was interfering with the transfercase mount. Would have been reluctant to do that, but the other side already had a similar amount of material removed, so I'm sure it's alright.

Test-fit afterwards and everything looked good, so I used a C-clamp to hold the master/booster in position while I ran a scribe around the inside of the mounting holes, marking the crossmember where I needed to drill.

After positioning the master/booster and drilling the mounting holes, noticed that I had a little bit less clearance than I thought. One of the mounting flanges on the master cylinder was just barely touching the transfercase mounting crossmember, so I took the grinder to it.

Was a little bit concerned about the brake line fittings, but there's plenty of room between those ports and the transfercase mounting crossmember.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 07-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #660 (permalink)

Member # 30721
The other point of interference was between the electric backup pump adapter and the framerail, so I rounded-off that corner.

Then I separated the master cylinder from the brake booster, hosed it down with brake cleaner, and then sprayed it with a coat of rust-inhibiting primer. Headed down to the auto parts store right now to see if I can find some studs to mount the master/booster to the crossmember.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #661 (permalink)

Member # 187720
Lots of progress! It's really starting to come together. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you are finally "finished."
Malisar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #662 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Just ordered a 12/24 dual alternator kit from Wolverine Technologies, with the optional 220 amp 12V alternator upgrade. Wasn't sure if I'd end up building my own mounts or buying something, but decided to spend my time working on other parts of this motorhome conversion. Tim also told me that they're using HD truck alternators instead of the smaller car alternators, and they have to make custom shafts in order to clear the radiator fan. Sounds like they've got it all figured out.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #663 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Hydromax master/booster all painted and installed.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #664 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Ordered a 2.5-ton Rockwell-specific double-ended steering cylinder and a steering valve from PSC this morning. Looking forward to receiving those parts so I can start designing and fabricating the mounting brackets. Didn't order a reservoir or cooler or filters or anything because the steering and brakes are going to be on the same hydraulic circuit, so need to get all of the steering components mounted before I can do any plumbing.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #665 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Think I want to add an air-to-air intercooler in front of the radiator, above the winch. The A3 hood is a couple inches longer than the A2 hood, so might just leave it full-length instead of cutting it down to the length of the A2 hood. Was already planning on building a custom grill anyway, as the A3 hood is also a little bit wider. Figure I might as well stuff an intercooler in there while I'm at it, right? Something sort of like what this guy did. Bring the plumbing through the marker light holes below the headlights and design / build a custom grill to mount it to, and protect it.

But don't have much experience with diesel turbo performance stuff, so would appreciate any help / advice anyone might be able to offer with regard to sizing and configuring an air-to-air intercooler for this application. Here are some links to tech I've found online and a few more about adding intercoolers to these multifuel engines. There's a lot of bickering and misinformation in some of those threads on SS, but there's also some good tech and useful data.

Bell Intercoolers FAQ
intercooler tech
Multifuel engine intercooler (steelsoldiers.com)
M52a2 air to air intercooler (steelsoldiers.com)
Intercooler? (steelsoldiers.com)
Water to air intercooler, Charge air cooler, Aftercooler... (steelsoldiers.com)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #666 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 122916
Doing full hydro?
xj9140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #667 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj9140 View Post
Doing full hydro?
Yup. Has been discussed at length, and you can read all about it here if you're interested. Might end up going back to some kind of mechanical bellcrank-type steering linkage when I rework the front suspension, retaining the double-ended ram. But it's gonna be full hydro for now, and the foreseeable future.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 07-17-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #668 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4691
Send a message via ICQ to stover
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
No. The fan is a lot closer to the radiator than the pump. Cut a lot of extra clearance around the pump because the radiator is mounted on springs so that it can move/flex with the body/chassis. But the fan is actually close enough that it makes me nervous. Would like to make some kind of guard to keep the fan out of the radiator, and would also like to install a fan with some kind of clutch, but am not sure if there's enough room to do either of those things. It's tight in there! If I leave the A3 hood full-length, that buys me a little more room, but if I push the radiator forward at all, it will hit the winch and would rather not move the winch any further forward. It already adds something like 13" to the frontend. A few people have tried different combinations of electric fans and that's not a viable option. At least not for this vehicle.
I've seen a fan skid plate installed on a radiator before. It was a Jeep CJ-5 with a flex fan. The skid plate was about the size of a 15" beadlock ring. The idea was that in deep water crossings, the fan blades would deflect and glance the aluminum skid plate instead of eating the radiator. Maybe something simple like this would work?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #669 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4691
Send a message via ICQ to stover
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Think I want to add an air-to-air intercooler in front of the radiator, above the winch. The A3 hood is a couple inches longer than the A2 hood, so might just leave it full-length instead of cutting it down to the length of the A2 hood. Was already planning on building a custom grill anyway, as the A3 hood is also a little bit wider. Figure I might as well stuff an intercooler in there while I'm at it, right? Something sort of like what this guy did. Bring the plumbing through the marker light holes below the headlights and design / build a custom grill to mount it to, and protect it.

But don't have much experience with diesel turbo performance stuff, so would appreciate any help / advice anyone might be able to offer with regard to sizing and configuring an air-to-air intercooler for this application. Here are some links to tech I've found online and a few more about adding intercoolers to these multifuel engines. There's a lot of bickering and misinformation in some of those threads on SS, but there's also some good tech and useful data.

Bell Intercoolers FAQ
intercooler tech
Multifuel engine intercooler (steelsoldiers.com)
M52a2 air to air intercooler (steelsoldiers.com)
Intercooler? (steelsoldiers.com)
Water to air intercooler, Charge air cooler, Aftercooler... (steelsoldiers.com)
I just hate the idea of a ugly intercooler sitting in front of the factory grille. Have you considered an air to liquid type intercooler that could package else ware under the factory sheetmetal? Kinda like the new 2012 Fords have?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #670 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by stover View Post
I've seen a fan skid plate installed on a radiator before. It was a Jeep CJ-5 with a flex fan. The skid plate was about the size of a 15" beadlock ring. The idea was that in deep water crossings, the fan blades would deflect and glance the aluminum skid plate instead of eating the radiator. Maybe something simple like this would work?
Know exactly what you're talking about Robin. Have seen similar skidplates built out of steel hoops. It's a good idea, and something that I'd like to do in any case, but there's not much room to work with. Would almost just have to be a piece of flat plate, and probably with a decent amount of surface area in order to be effective. Then I'd be concerned about airflow and cooling. As far as fording preparations, the official military procedure for these vehicles was to loosen the fan belts prior to fording. What I would like to do is replace the stock fan with a fan that has some kind of clutch. Would free up a few HP and if it's a clutch that I could operate manually somehow, would be able to do that with the flip of a switch. But lack of space it making that seem like it might not be possible. Need to figure out what kind of space a fan/clutch needs, and then might be able to machine a custom pulley or something. Might be able to accomplish something similar by building a linear actuator into the belt tensioners, but even I start to wonder about over-complicating things at a certain point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stover View Post
I just hate the idea of a ugly intercooler sitting in front of the factory grille. Have you considered an air to liquid type intercooler that could package else ware under the factory sheetmetal? Kinda like the new 2012 Fords have?
Yeah, but adapting the A3 hood to an A2 and keeping the headlights under the hood pretty much requires building some kind of custom grill anyway. Did look into the water-to-air intercoolers, but two things turned me off:

1) the complexity of adding another whole separate cooling system to the vehicle

2) the fact that if the heat exchanger failed the engine could ingest a lot of coolant pretty quickly
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #671 (permalink)

Member # 131151
How often do you plan on fording water deep enough to have water-to-fan contact be an issue? Just from staring at the pictures, it looks like the bottom of the fan is going to be 3'+ above the ground. With that kind of clearance it seems like most water crossings you're likely to run into on a trail wouldn't be an issue. It would be cool to build something to shut the fan off from the cab, but it seems like more headache than it's worth.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #672 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Not planning on any... m35a2 deuce under water - YouTube

More just a matter of consideration. If it's a feature that I can build into a fan clutch that I'd like to add anyway, cool. If not, tend to agree with you that it's probably not worth the hassle. But then again, if I was thinking about hassles I wouldn't be in the middle of this whole mess right now.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 07-17-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #673 (permalink)

Member # 168725
The idea of a belt tension arm with a switch seems both simple and effective to me.

Last edited by SideshowBob; 07-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #674 (permalink)

Member # 224104
Location: Currently St. Louis, longing to get back to Colorado
Awesome build! I've been reading it in chunks over the last week after being linked here from another site, and finally finished it. Now I'm just looking forward to more! Like a lot of other guys, you're putting ideas in my head that would likely end up in divorce if I acted on them...

Anyway, I just wanted to say nice job, and I can't wait to see it finished.
danleym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #675 (permalink)
Bitter old man

Member # 162771
Two ideas for idling your fan:

A/C compressor clutch - they seem pretty low profile, and could handle the power.

Linear actuator to dynamically adjust belt tension. Add a strain gauge to monitor tension. Yay! More complexity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.