mah deuce - Page 30 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #726 (permalink)

Member # 79921
Cool project. I really enjoyed reading about your grandpa, def a bad ass. Sailboat racing has pretty much been my main hobby for the past few years. Its addicting... Hard to imagine doing those ocean passages in the the time before GPS and modern instruments!

Anyway, donno if its any help, but the way those shitters work on sailboats currently is water is pumped in through the hull to fill the bowl and the selector valve is flipped and it sort of washes/flushes/vacs it down the hole to the holding tank. You repeat till its clean. If you check out a boat store like West Marine they may be able to order you a rebuild kit.

I will also second that they stink... On a sailboat using the head is a secondary option at best lol
forged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #727 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Yeah, a little self contained unit would work fine and since the military ones looked like an afterthought, even the boxy aftermarket heaters look like they belong there, lol. One of the little Mojave heaters might not be able to keep up with the air leaks around the doors and windows but maybe one of the larger Vintage Air or Summit Racing heaters would work. I'm sure you have seen the guys over on SS using the HMMWV RedBall heat and A/C units, which would be nice, but are pricey.
Think you mean Reddot? Have got one of their heat/AC units in the motorhome box, and it has ducting that I can route forward into the cab, but would like to have a self-contained heater in the truck as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Take a look at the heater from a 68 or so Ford pickup everything is in the unit only penetration IIRC is the waterlines plus it is all cable operated no vacuum lines to mess with.
Thanks. Open to suggestion here. Want to be able to run on 24V though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forged View Post
Cool project. I really enjoyed reading about your grandpa, def a bad ass. Sailboat racing has pretty much been my main hobby for the past few years. Its addicting... Hard to imagine doing those ocean passages in the the time before GPS and modern instruments!

Anyway, donno if its any help, but the way those shitters work on sailboats currently is water is pumped in through the hull to fill the bowl and the selector valve is flipped and it sort of washes/flushes/vacs it down the hole to the holding tank. You repeat till its clean. If you check out a boat store like West Marine they may be able to order you a rebuild kit.

I will also second that they stink... On a sailboat using the head is a secondary option at best lol
Thanks. Haven't made time to look into how the plumbing on these marine toilets actually works yet, but don't imagine that rebuilding them will be too much trouble. Little bit concerned about the stink though. Maybe something I can reduce with additional plumbing or something? Hmmm, gonna have to figure something out.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #728 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Yeah, I meant Reddot, not sure why I typed Redball. Must have been thinking about hip waders or something, lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #729 (permalink)

Member # 100161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I think he was talking about the 2.5 ton cab firewall.
I was, just didn't quote the pic, should have specified.
jblack6527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #730 (permalink)

Member # 30721
No, it was obvious.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #731 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Posted something a few days ago about how I've been working on a bunch of other projects. Here are a few pictures of some of the stuff I've been working on.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 08-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #732 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Just uploaded a bunch of pictures to facespace that kinda tell the story behind the GatosBros logo. Spent an embarrassing amount of time on it and it's still not done-done-done, but close enough.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 08-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #733 (permalink)

Member # 41156
dude...you don't have enough projects

any word from Brian on the '05+ tacoma front diff project?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #734 (permalink)

Member # 30721
No Chris, haven't heard from him in a while but Robo-Boogie has blown-out both diffs in the little red Tacoma, so we'll need to get something figured out.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #735 (permalink)

Member # 177695
Digg it.I like simple and quick to read.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #736 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Just ordered a 12/24 dual alternator kit from Wolverine Technologies, with the optional 220 amp 12V alternator upgrade. Wasn't sure if I'd end up building my own mounts or buying something, but decided to spend my time working on other parts of this motorhome conversion. Tim also told me that they're using HD truck alternators instead of the smaller car alternators, and they have to make custom shafts in order to clear the radiator fan. Sounds like they've got it all figured out.
Well shit. Haven't been able to reach Wolverine Tech since I talked to Tim a month ago. He's not answering the phone, his voicemail is full and email are bouncing-back. Quick search on steelsoldiers revealed that this seems to be business-as-usual over there. So looks like I'm going to have to design/make my own alternator mounts. No big deal. Just one more thing to do. Would appreciate some help with regards to sourcing alternators though. Need a 12V alternator, the bigger the better, and from what Tim told me, that 220-amp HD truck alternator is about as big as you can get at any kind of reasonable price. What's the deal with the 'heavy-duty' alternators anyway? He stressed that the alternators they're using are not the regular car-sized Delco alternators, but that they're much more robust units made for medium-duty trucks. Anything to that? Would also like to replace the stock 60-amp 24V unit with a modern alternator while I'm at it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #737 (permalink)

Member # 16790
I have a Leece Neville on mine, they are just plain old big. Takes the heat and the load much better, cheap, find them anywhere, they are designed to run harder longer.

For heaters check out Heatercraft.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #738 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I have a Leece Neville on mine, they are just plain old big. Takes the heat and the load much better, cheap, find them anywhere, they are designed to run harder longer.

For heaters check out Heatercraft.
x2 on the leece neville unit.

I have one as well.
Factory rebuilds went to 160A, parts are easy and cheap to come by. Real popular with ambulances and MDT trucks. Hell, you can get a new one at a uhaul location.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #739 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Thanks guys, will look into those. Would like to go bigger than 160-amps, but at what expense...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #740 (permalink)

Member # 30721
If I'm going to build custom alternator mounts, might end up making custom pulleys for the crank and waterpump so that I can convert over to a serpentine belt setup (stock is double V-belts). The Wolverine Tech setup only runs one belt to each alternator, and the alternator pulley shafts run real close to the radiator fan, even after they're machined to create a little more clearance. Making custom pulleys might also make a little more room between the fan and the radiator. That might make it possible to squeeze a fan clutch in there if I can make the pulley setup any shorter. If that doesn't work out, am still really liking the idea of making some kind of remote clutch assembly. Have never seen anything like that done before, but seems like it would be pretty easy to pull-off and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Would completely eliminate the space constraints, and then I could put a pneumatic clutch on there, or whatever I wanted.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #741 (permalink)

Member # 168725
Quote:
Posted something a few days ago about how I've been working on a bunch of other projects. Here are a few pictures of some of the stuff I've been working on.

When do I get sets for my Gas Gas?

Last edited by SideshowBob; 08-14-2012 at 06:12 AM.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #742 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Thanks guys, will look into those. Would like to go bigger than 160-amps, but at what expense...
not sure. My rebuilt 150A version was about $125 bucks at the local ignition/alternator rebuilder.

he didn't even take the core because mine was hammered with a bent shaft.

did I mention they are cheap?

There's tons of room in the case, I'm sure a rebuilder could wind it for whatever amperage you want. Be aware though that the higher amp ones generate a crap ton of resistance before they turn on. Mine slips it's two v belts until it hits turn on RPM, and they're tighter than I'd like already. I'm scared to tighten them anymore for fear of roaching the bearings.

here's my old one's guts.

the old guy (80+) at the ignition shop said "that's done" and handed me that mess in a cardboard box.
it's nice that the regulator is an add on module, so you can carry a spare voltage regulator and swap it out in a few minutes. It's just held on with 4 screws.

Last edited by 87manche; 08-14-2012 at 06:31 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #743 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
When do I get sets for my Gas Gas?
Well the thing is, that's just such small market. We're starting with the KTM's, and then the other major mfg's, and then, if everything goes well, we'll start working on the the more unique applications.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #744 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
not sure. My rebuilt 150A version was about $125 bucks at the local ignition/alternator rebuilder.

he didn't even take the core because mine was hammered with a bent shaft.

did I mention they are cheap?

There's tons of room in the case, I'm sure a rebuilder could wind it for whatever amperage you want. Be aware though that the higher amp ones generate a crap ton of resistance before they turn on. Mine slips it's two v belts until it hits turn on RPM, and they're tighter than I'd like already. I'm scared to tighten them anymore for fear of roaching the bearings.

here's my old one's guts.

the old guy (80+) at the ignition shop said "that's done" and handed me that mess in a cardboard box.
it's nice that the regulator is an add on module, so you can carry a spare voltage regulator and swap it out in a few minutes. It's just held on with 4 screws.
Cool, thanks for the info. Have done a little bit of poking around online and looks like they make those all the way up well over 200-amps. Will almost certainly end up going with something like that. Put a call in to Yawan Smith at Kodiak Industries. He's only located about five minutes away and Stover introduced us a while ago. Super-sharp guy, and was really impressed with the level of attention to detail that he puts into everything he does. Just want to run this by him before I make any final decisions. That's an interesting point about the belts slipping though. One more reason to convert over to a serpentine belt.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #745 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1602
Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. Have done a little bit of poking around online and looks like they make those all the way up well over 200-amps. Will almost certainly end up going with something like that. Put a call in to Yawan Smith at Kodiak Industries. He's only located about five minutes away and Stover introduced us a while ago. Super-sharp guy, and was really impressed with the level of attention to detail that he puts into everything he does. Just want to run this by him before I make any final decisions. That's an interesting point about the belts slipping though. One more reason to convert over to a serpentine belt.
Yawan is a very cool guy. Bought my on-board welder from him and a few Oddysey batteries.

You may also want to give Rod at San Jose Generator a call. 408 293 2200. Another very cool guy and he knows all things starter and alternator.

Mark

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
06 CTD
87 Buick Grand National X2
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #746 (permalink)

Member # 168725
Quote:
Well the thing is, that's just such small market. We're starting with the KTM's, and then the other major mfg's, and then, if everything goes well, we'll start working on the the more unique applications.
Nah I was just messing, I have a pretty nice setup as is. Good looking stuff.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #747 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440-fide Ramcharger View Post
Yawan is a very cool guy. Bought my on-board welder from him and a few Oddysey batteries.

You may also want to give Rod at San Jose Generator a call. 408 293 2200. Another very cool guy and he knows all things starter and alternator.

Mark
Thanks for the heads-up. Always cool to find new local resources.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #748 (permalink)

Member # 81037
I thought there was another guy over on SS that did a dual alt set up? Can't remember the name.
B.O.R.D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #749 (permalink)

Member # 30721
There is, but that kit is designed to fit the little auto delco alternators. At San Jose Generator right now, learning a lot. Will post more a little later.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #750 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1602
Quote:
There is, but that kit is designed to fit the little auto delco alternators. At San Jose Generator right now, learning a lot. Will post more a little later.
Be sure to tell Rod that Mark sent you.....

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
06 CTD
87 Buick Grand National X2
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.