Custom exp trailer based on a M101a (1/2/3) platform. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Custom exp trailer based on a M101a (1/2/3) platform.

Has anyone built an expo trailer starting with a military surplus trailer like a M101a series?
Most of the ones out there are not exactly complicated in design but require some effort to package it all in.Other than the tent top most are just a “box” with camping shit.
So why don’t people just pick up a M101a2 for 4-500 bucks, bob the front to the first vertical support, make a lid, drop some side out kitchen shit in the “bed area” and access doors in the sides?

Storage boxes are not that hard, go look on ebay and you can find Delta truck boxes for dirt cheap. Cut and weld them in.

Total price would be a grandish if you found some used popup/camper kitchen shit? Maybe 2k max? A fawking BASIC "off-road" trailer is already almost $3,000

And if you are feeling like you don’t want 8 lug with surge brakes: Pick up a M101A1, swap the axle for a 3000lb one with electric brakes from northern tool.

Shit, its not that much bigger and seeing as the fenders are already sticking that far out you may as well make the body that wide. It will fit 35-37’s no problem
A M101a2 is 73.5" wide at greatest 147.4" total length. An Adventure trailer is 102” and 68” respectively. Making it "shorter" is not an issue and its only 5" wider.

Or am I not seeing something here?

Or is this something I am going to have to do with my trailer?

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 90704
I think a big problem with these trailers is the weight of them and the normal "Expedition" rig on Expedition Portal is not Full Size so the the mid size trucks have a hard time pulling them through trails. That and the of course they are rather wide.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
I think a big problem with these trailers is the weight of them and the normal "Expedition" rig on Expedition Portal is not Full Size so the the mid size trucks have a hard time pulling them through trails. That and the of course they are rather wide.
I thought they were "heavy" but most of the heft is in the axles/wheels/tires/brakes. Swapping them to a 3k electric brake axle takes care of all of that.
the rest of it is not that bad and compairable to a well built off-road civilian trailer.

Its only 5" (2.5 on each side) wider than an Adventure trailer.
Put some tube armor on the corners and it becomes a moot point

I see no need to pull a trailer on a "hardcore" trail. I am not going to be camping in that area, I may wheel there but the trailer stays back at "base camp". Most of the trails I would haul it on I don't think would be that much of an issue.

let me go find some weights of "unloaded" off-road trailers and see how ban it is.

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 51899
I've looked into these as well, relatively cheap & plentiful in my area. But just too big & wide for my purposes.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
comparing some:
Adventure trailers, Horizon
102" long, 68" wide
1100lbs dry, 1600lbs payload (payload includes any options and stuff)

Adventure Trailers- Chaser
120" long 68" wide
700lbs dry, 2000lbs payload (payload includes any options)

Sierra 4x4 Trailers
120" long 61" wide
640lbs dry, payload is not listed but depending on axle 900lbs and up.

off-roadinternational
117" long width depends on backspacing so from 61" to 68"
(tierra grande) 425lbs dry, 650lbs loaded
(Tough Terrain) 360lbs dry, 2000lbs payload

New Image off road trailers
Unknown specifications

Military M101A2 trailer
147.4" long 73.5" wide
1340lbs dry, 1,500lbs payload cross country 2250lbs highway

Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Now the main thing I am getting is "too big/too wide". The wide part is not ..well THAT wide.
The body is the widest part, the tires never are.

If you cut the box and shortened the front back to the first riser, then ran some tube or angle on the frame rail to give the leading edge of the box a boatside you could hit trees/rocks with no issues and it would glide off.
The box will definitely handle it.

Or pull the box off the frame, section 4" out of the middle and weld it back up and plop it on the frame.
For me that would be pointless but if you really wanted a narrower trailer it would be easy.

Like I said, most of these other trailers START at $3,000 So you and a $100 Harbor Frieght flux core, a sawzall and some time could cut this pig on a diet and still have like 2 grand to spend on other shit.

I am just tossing out options and ideas for those looking for trailers so feel free to add or shoot down

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 02-18-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Get you an M101 and slap in an S250 comm shelter. Here's a pic from Expedition Portal:

And the guy who built it has a website detailing it here:

http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm

Or you could find one of the oddball hardtop models of the M1101/M1102 trailer:

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
I think those are called EBC shelters. They make them for the larger M105 trailers too. Some of those off-road travel trailers are pretty cool, I've just never had a need for one. Take the bikes or my truck if I want to travel fast & light, and mah deuce if I want to bring everything. Traveling with trailers is just something that I avoid if at all possible, even if it means packing like this.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I like the idea of a basecamp type trailer that can be parked, camp setup and go wheeling with the tow vehicle and have a few comforts and secure storage to come back to. It's probably the next best thing to having a tow rig RV and dedicated off road vehicle.

Last edited by Elwenil; 02-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Elwenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
With you there. That's how I'm going to set-up my M103A3 trailer.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
An M101a3 will be just a little wider than an a1 or a2, but it comes with HMMWV rims and a little more width between the fenders. You can lay down a sheet of plywood in an unmodified A3, but not in an A1 or A2. The extra width is all in some widened fenders, easy enough to cut out.

Of course, the entire construction of the trailers is simple and easy to work with. I shortened one for my CJ build to use as a bed and it was very easy to do, widening the fender-fender area would be easy as well.

A lot of the a1 trailers were made in the 60s and seemed to be stored tongue down, causing water to pool in the bed. The 2 I got to make my bed were very rotten in the front, but fine behind the wheel wells. I got the beds for a c-note each, so cheap it was hard to go wrong. My bed ended up right around 78 inches after I welded them back together. I can manhandle the bed myself, barely, it probably weighs about 2-3 hundred pounds.

An a2 or a3 will be much newer and probably not have near the rot problem.

Some, or maybe all, the trailers fold for storage, and are pretty easy to make into a dump trailer. I was thinking of grabbing another one and making a modular camping setup and a dump, so I can use it around the house when I am not camping in it.

They are a perfect height for me stock. I like the departure angles. I would rip out the military brake junk though. I never trusted surge brakes. A couple weld on spindles and electric brakes and you would be good to go.

Last edited by gavan; 02-18-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: reading comprehension fails me again
gavan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 51899
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Now the main thing I am getting is "too big/too wide". The wide part is not ..well THAT wide.
Like I said, most of these other trailers START at $3,000 So you and a $100 Harbor Frieght flux core, a sawzall and some time could cut this pig on a diet and still have like 2 grand to spend on other shit.

I am just tossing out options and ideas for those looking for trailers so feel free to add or shoot down
Quote:
comparing some:
Adventure trailers, Horizon
102" long, 68" wide
1100lbs dry, 1600lbs payload (payload includes any options and stuff)

Adventure Trailers- Chaser
120" long 68" wide
700lbs dry, 2000lbs payload (payload includes any options)

Sierra 4x4 Trailers
120" long 61" wide
640lbs dry, payload is not listed but depending on axle 900lbs and up.

off-roadinternational
117" long width depends on backspacing so from 61" to 68"
(tierra grande) 425lbs dry, 650lbs loaded
(Tough Terrain) 360lbs dry, 2000lbs payload

New Image off road trailers
Unknown specifications

Military M101A2 trailer
147.4" long 73.5" wide
1340lbs dry, 1,500lbs payload cross country 2250lbs highway
Good info !
Be interested to see someone bob & boatside one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post

Or you could find one of the oddball hardtop models of the M1101/M1102 trailer:

Sweet !
Add some windows & vents & I'd be sold.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 51899
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjjames View Post
I've looked into these as well, relatively cheap & plentiful in my area. But just too big & wide for my purposes.

And, now I'm actively looking for one . . .
Bump.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14455
I have an M101A2 I am planning to build up. I used to have one before but sold it to get my car hauler and then just got another one. Mine has an aluminum cage in it with expanded mesh. If you search my name you will find pics of my old one.

This one I am planning to be expo/tility. I am going to make a full lenght bed slide for it and mount bins on the sides for gear. Use the cage and flip the roof section to make a large roof rack basket. I also intend to add a roof top tent probally a simpson III. I want to be able to use it for everything.

I would love to find one of those fiberglass covers for it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 16790
THANKS for posting up the dimensions, I need one of theses M series trailers to pull behind my 700 as well as when just heading to the woods with the bikes, I don't care which one either, the heavier one might even be better, Sapper do you or anyone else know where one of these things might be in Alberta? Or close to?
Thanks again, you supplied me with a very solid economical solution to a shitty built enclosed trailer.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
What happened to this? I swear I saw a picture of Doc's JK pulling one of these...
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
What happened to this? I swear I saw a picture of Doc's JK pulling one of these...
You did and its here with me in socal but i have beenso busy with school that i can not touch it yet.
It did tow beautifully across country, 2k+ miles and not an issue.

By the way Adrenaline offroad (vendor here) in maryland jsut got a bunch in as he was bragging pics via phone to me so anyone in the northeast wants one give him a call

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 06-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
THANKS for posting up the dimensions, I need one of theses M series trailers to pull behind my 700 as well as when just heading to the woods with the bikes, I don't care which one either, the heavier one might even be better, Sapper do you or anyone else know where one of these things might be in Alberta? Or close to?
Thanks again, you supplied me with a very solid economical solution to a shitty built enclosed trailer.
I found my new to me one on kijiji. I wish I could bid on the ones in the US auctions and pick up several. I sold my last one for $2500. This new one cost me $1500 and it need work to be up to my liking and needs.

Here is my old one without the tarp on. My new one is identical but with rust my old one didn't have.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 142511
Send a message via Yahoo to sixfeathers
OP I believe it would be easy for a conversion, camper,, I have a M116a2 with a 101 box on it I want to build up too, plenty of ideas..Here is a friends set up..
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 117206
Doc, I'm looking to pick one of these up in the near future, they're always going for 1-200 at some local auctions. Most are suffering from that rot up front from being stored hitch down, but I'm recessing some storage lockers in the floor to take advantage of the rebuild. Going to have to lighten it enough to allow my 4 banger TJ to pull it, but I'm looking at having onboard water storage with heater, cooking area, etc, all propane fired. Shall post pics as I cobble it together.

[QUOTE=DRM;13911667]You can stick a frozen squirrel in your vagina, and I can call it stupid... that doesn't mean I am trying to "police" you and stop you from your necro-squirrel-auto-erotic fantasies.[/QUOTE]
leben_sie_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 33042
Biggest weight for the trailer is the components - axles/wheels, frame, and box. I think the axles/wheels weigh the most, then the frame.

I used the frame for a basis for a custom camper setup - Quicksilver truck slide in, M101 frame/suspension, Dexter 3500 axle (bigger tires/bearings), and added a boat trailer tongue to it for longer trailer. I figured it weighed under 1100#s. I towed it from KC to Moab through CO. Biggest hurdle were the tunnels. My 97 TJ 2.5/auto was on 34" LTBs when I did it. I was going 25mph, 5k rpm in first gear up to Eisenhower.

If you really need the large box, I would look into using a 20' or so boat trailer, upgrading the suspension and axle for it. Boat trailers are usually boxed and come with an adjustable axle location. Upgrading the springs will help with load carrying and the cycling. I used the stock M101 springs w/out overload and never had bouncing issues. I also drilled holes in the frame to relocate the axle in 5 positions (every 5") till I was happy with the trailer balance and tongue weight.
Don't forget to reuse the parking brake setup. Mil uses the parking brake to secure the trailer, rather than a tire brick.

Nowadays, the mil auction sites may require a certificate to be signed and this comes into another 2-3 months of waiting to get it.

97 SE - geared, locked, and rubbered for fun
94 S - stock, 27's, build collection started

Last edited by jagular7; 06-27-2011 at 12:01 PM.
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
for those loking for one, dude in san diego craigslist has a few m101a1's for $450

Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
I found a mid/small truck pop-up slide in that I think may be dropped in mine bad idea?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
BAMF

Member # 42606
Quote:
You did and its here with me in socal but i have beenso busy with school that i can not touch it yet.
It did tow beautifully across country, 2k+ miles and not an issue.

By the way Adrenaline offroad (vendor here) in maryland jsut got a bunch in as he was bragging pics via phone to me so anyone in the northeast wants one give him a call
Wee bit of an alignment issue or balljoint or some chit?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
Wee bit of an alignment issue or balljoint or some chit?
shadow/light and the road dust. the tread is perfectly flat and wearing normal.