IFS vs SAS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19522
IFS vs SAS

I have an 83 Datsun 720 KC that has been sitting for 15 years due to a blown head gasket and laziness. I have a 231 Buick v6 with a T350 that I am going to put into the truck and use the stock divorced TC. The truck will be used mostly for a DD but I would like to do some expedition stuff like the TransAmerican Trail sometime in the near future. The truck will run no bigger than a 31" tire.

My question is since the truck has sat for 15 years I know something needs to be done with the front end. Will the IFS be adequate enough for what I plan to use it for or should I start collecting parts to do a SAS? I have no plans for any hard core crawling, just moderate trails and fire road type stuff.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166931
im not sure as per what may need to be replaced....
but i had a 96 dodge dakota with a v8 and the ifs in the front and for light wheeling the truck was actually very capable. i think alot of it had to with how light the truck was. but it went alot of places. i have a 1980 powerwagon lifted on 35x 12.5 mudders now and i can safely say that on some of the trails that i went on with the dakota with out any problem my powerwagon well wount struggle thro but you can definatly tell its working a little more to get thro.

only problem i hated with the ifs was well more moving parts lack of clearance and that i couldnt go any bigger than 31s.

but like isay if your just moderate wheeling its a greater way to just get out im up in canada so i dont know much about the trail your talking about but i know mine did well in muddy trails(not swallow a truck muddy) on rocks it wasnt bad and climbing hills it was good at to.

if you got any othere questions feel free to ask. and if you have the opertunity to do a sas i would recommended it especially if you start wheeling it more less parts is always better.
360powerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198027
Send a message via Skype™ to MAster-O-Turbonics
Main problem on the 720 4x4 pickups is that the front CV axles are impossible to get, at least at any of the typical auto parts store places...
MAster-O-Turbonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 139837
i also think that teh parts avalibility wouyld be your biggest problem, not the ifs itself.
hillbillyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 77042
I had an '83 Nissan 720... that I put a 231/TH350 in w/31" tires, factory 3.91 gears. The power improvement was underwhelming. The mileage drop was spectacular. The spider gears going out twice in the rear axle was icing on the cake. I did enjoy the truck with the 231 in it, and it did have more power, and I did tow stuff with it, put about 70k miles on the swap before I traded the truck in on something less maintenance intensive. It wheeled nicely, but being OPEN/OPEN probably kept the front CV's from breaking. The swap was VERY simple... using 2" square tube on the 231 engine mounts, cut a plate that would sit on the factory Nissan engine mounts on the frame, welded the two together. I think they flipped the tranny mount over and drilled a few holes to bolt up the TH350. Some searching at a parts store and I had molded radiator hoses, hydraulics store mated the PS pump to the Nissan box, quick drive shaft splice and it was done. At some point I invested a butt-load of cash into a 4-Barrel manifold and carburetor. There was a power increase and an almost impossible to accept -again- drop in mileage, so that got relegated to the shelf.

I both miss that truck, and am glad I haven't seen it in 18 years.
MrSammi is offline   Reply With Quote