Ranger Build-up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Ranger Build-up

Well I feel kinda bad posting here. My truck isnt old, or a hardcore build, I dont know much about fabricating stuff, I dont (yet) do any extreme wheeling, etc. I do love my truck, I can appreciate a good Ford, especially 80's and 90's F-150's and F-250's.

My current truck is a 2006 Ranger Sport 4x4. Still pretty much stock with 31" tires, no locker, and a Pre-Runner style bumper. When I bought the truck I wanted to build it into a Pre-Runner but Ive long since realized a DD/rock crawler would be way more fun and much more useful.

Current plans are to get a drop in locker for the rear axle. I have a 28 spline axle (I am 99% sure of this) so its looking like my only option is a Lock-Right. I want to learn to weld so that I can start working on a cage/tube style bed for the truck, need to get the front bumper modded to fit a winch or cut it off and redo the bumper entirely.

Considering buying a Dana 44 axle if I can find the right kind at a local junkyard and slowly building it up for a SAS in the far future. Read alot about Straight Axle Swaps that other people have done and I know its alot of work and requires time and research to be done right.

First post here, been lurking awhile. Dont beat me up too bad. A couple pictures to follow in the next post.

Last edited by JakeTheGun; 08-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.
JakeTheGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 197069

Me with my truck.

Poser pic...not quite done right. Love wheelin in the desert though.

Last edited by JakeTheGun; 08-20-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
finally rightside up

Member # 184361
Send a message via AIM to cdawall
it is a 28 spline instead of dropping $300 in a lockrite drop it into a 31 spline expo 8.8" the stock IFS is crap trust me been there broke that. look into that D44 a little harder it will save alot of headaches after that shit IFS is gone.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Yeah, Ive read up on getting the 8.8" from an explorer. Need to learn to weld or find someone to weld the leaf spring peice to the top of the axle. Would love disk brakes in the back too. Thanks for confirming my sinking suspicion though.

And right now the big piece holding me back from a straight axle swap is that I owe on the truck still and I dont have a second vehicle to use during the swap.

Havent broke anything in the front IFS but I do know it sucks. My truck wont get any kind of lift until I do a SAS because of it. Theres apparently only one kit for an 06 4x4 Ranger and its like, $3.4k. Kiss my ass Ill pay that for a SAS roughly.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
finally rightside up

Member # 184361
there are 2 kits the POS superlift and a long travel from dixon bros.

as for not owning the truck i know how that is mine is the same way it however has a D30 sitting under it and a D60 sitting off to the side getting ready to go in.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Ah yes the long travel kit. Im not bro-ing out my truck anymore. A general DD/trail truck would serve me way better than a pre-runner, as much as I love desert racing.

Youre a brave man. That being said I have been considering starting to collect the necessary items and doing an axle rebuild while I wait... There's a guy that runs a 4x4/fab shop and he said he would be willing to help me do work on my truck and teach me stuff if I help out around his shop outside of work. Im gonna call him tomorrow and take a trip to his shop I think.

I need to learn to weld and such and I want my first project to be my rear tube style bed. Its not structural, helps me learn to weld, paint/coat my work to keep it from rusting, help me get some practice with electrical work, etc.

Many plans, but its going to take time and that burns my britches more than anything else. lol. Need another deployment!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
55 in a 75

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
it is a 28 spline instead of dropping $300 in a lockrite drop it into a 31 spline expo 8.8" the stock IFS is crap trust me been there broke that. look into that D44 a little harder it will save alot of headaches after that shit IFS is gone.
This.

As far as welding skills, if you're still in school I definitely advise taking as many ag-mechanics/shop classes that you have available to you. Show a lot of interest and respect to your teachers and they will go out of their way to help you learn. Same thing at your local community college.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Not in school anymore. Wish I had taken these kinda classes in high school! Good gods, I missed out on that. However I am trying to enroll in a community college here for probably Automotive Mechanics. 2 yr degree that I think includes welding certs. The also have a Diesel mechanics course.

Right now my options are to buy a welder and get someone from work to teach me or as I said get someone at a local shop to take me on for little to no pay and get the experience from them. Plus there is I get access to shop tools (hopefully).
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 148322
if your wanting to learn how to weld dont take an auto class hoping to learn. be specific and take a welding course. i did co-op my senior year in highschool and took a welding class to get out of school. i knew how to weld but still learned alot and got alot of welding time in.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 190080
dude no offence but fords are a huge piece of shit might as well light a match under it
Jeep yj 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep yj 22 View Post
dude no offence but fords are a huge piece of shit might as well light a match under it
Flamin'. Was waiting for this. No problems with it yet. I may yet do this and get a pic of it. Would a lighter work?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 121782
Quote:

Your in the fucking FORD forum you fucktard. jump off a cliff and save as all from your retardation.
93ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
finally rightside up

Member # 184361
Quote:
Go clean up whatever your dumb jeep is leaking this week
Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
55 in a 75

Member # 168243
Quote:
Shut the fuck up you pissant troll.

This isn't the first time you've come into the FORD forum and brand bashed like a total blundering idiot. Looking at your user stats and all 21 posts to your name, I have reaffirmed that you know NOTHING about ANYTHING and offer no useful information to the PBB or anywhere else in life. You manage to pop up in advice threads and inject your worthless, biased opinion every moment you get, and you start fingering your inverted cock any time someone mentions a Cummins swap.

The fact is, fuck face, you drive a shitty Jeep. You have no right to be telling anybody how they drive a POS, seeing as how you drive one of the weakest piles of shit ever made.

Next time you want to say something, ANYTHING, think 3 times before you say it, and then save us all the trouble and don't bother.

Or, fuck off and die. (The rest of us prefer this option.)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 129208
Quote:
Instead of flaming you, i'd like to know specifically what's so bad with Ford's. You have a problem with all Ford's? Because that's a pretty broad statement to say they all suck.

Just about any stock vehicle sucks until you start throwing money at it.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 197069
Far too many ways to skin a cat. A local 4x4 shop suggested I consider simply modding my current bumper to fit a receiver hitch and use a removable/hitch winch. Anyone got any opinions on this or about removeable winches vs permanently mounted winches and such things?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 129208
A removable winch would work but it usually sticks out pretty far killing your approach angle. You could make a mount to store it in the bed when it's not in use but i see that being a pain in the ass when you actually need it.

On the other hand, you could wire up some leads for the rear as well that way it can be used up front and out back. It all boils down to what will work best for your needs.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 197069
[edit] Nix all that shizzle.

Last edited by JakeTheGun; 08-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 197069
So the Ranger is going to sit on the back burner for now, and will probably be relegated to DD duty now that Ive bought a beater Toyota. I still intend to get an Explorer 8.8, install a locker, and probably get some decent shocks up front but thats going to be it for now.

At least until it gets old and isnt worth 14k. Then Ill start to play around with building it up. Thats the current plan at least.