Bellhousing compatibility to NP435 and 302 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83206
Bellhousing compatibility to NP435 and 302

Hey all,

I'm looking for a donor truck to get a 302 (or 351w) out of, but the catch is that I intend to run the NP435 behind said motor.

I am trying to get my head around what donor trucks I need to look at in order to get a hydraulic bellhousing to mate to my 435.

At the moment I think that I need to look to anything with a 4-speed, or certain 5-speeds, but that is where I am lost. I am about 1/3 of the way through the 302 TOTW thread and haven't gotten my answer yet.

I understand that certain F250's from the late 80's have a pretty good 5-speed which is something like a 5:1 first gear which the bellhousing is also compatible with the NP435? Would that be behind the 302 or 351w?

Where am I on track, and where am I wrong here?

Thanks.
Mark
Donkeykongohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 123702
The Np435 can use either the big block bell housing or the small block bell housing. It just bolts to the front of the trans and can be interchanged. The 5 speed you are refering to is either a Mazda M5OD-R2 (300 I6 & 302 V8) or a ZF-5 (351 V8), all use the ford small block bell housing. They are a one piece alunium unit where the bell housing can not be detached. There are also Big block ZF-5's that bolt up to the 460 and the 7.3 Diesels these will not work with the 302 you want. Your best bet is goin to be a Np435 or Borg Warner T18, they are easier to find for cheap where as the Zf-5 is normally more expensive. If you plan to run the older style 3 spd. you will sacarfice OD but you can make it up by running a bigger tire wiith a stock 3.55 or 4.10 Ring & Pinnion gear. The granny gear in thos transmission will allow you to cruise on the high way at a lower RPM and still give you a solid start. I run 40" gateways with a stock 4.10 Ring gear and T18, granny will move the truck up a mountain and the 1:1 gets it down the highway at a diecent RPM for an 80s truck on mud tires. My .02
ydocnitsua6705 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 98550
you need to look for a mid to late 80s truck with a 4speed and 300, 302, or 351w to find that bellhousing. doesn't matter if it's 2wd or 4x4.
hart7290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83206
Thanks for the responses!

At this point I have given up on the small block idea and decided to take advantage of a deal I couldn't refuse for a SRW F350 with a HP60, and (I think) 10.25... It also comes with a FBB 460 which to my understanding will bolt right up to my 435. I have a few issues I need to iron out including getting a hydraulic slave to play nice with the throwout fork, and finding the right combination of springs and shocks to play nice with that 750lb beast I plan on putting under the hood... I own a sheetmetal fab shop so the rest should be relatively simple as far as getting the motor and trans to stay put under the hood, and burning in new mounting points on my axles to mate with the longarm suspension under my TJ.

I'll post a link to my build thread once I get the truck in my shop.
Mark
Donkeykongohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.