F350 WOT problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 196396
F350 WOT problem

Looking for a little help here.
1996 F350
E4OD
4WD
Crew Cab Long box

Why is this damn thing shifting at 3500 RPM at wide open throttle? Trans was rebuilt less than a year ago and I've been fighting a number of issues with it since then.
wi fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Got Solar?

Member # 105362
Option 1) Using a PCED, EVTM, a multimeter, and an alcohol consumption rate of 4.3 beers/hr (3 hour minimum), carefully track down the wiring and/or sensor problem that's causing your truck to behave in a retarded manner.

Option 2) Start replacing sensors at random and hope the problem goes away

Option 3) Buy a donor truck and perform a ZF swap. Remember, when buying a donor truck, that you have a brother who needs some nice gray seats and possibly a new crew cab. This brother may also be willing to go in with you on a donor truck purchase...

Option 4) I'll take your truck off your hands for you for a minor processing fee, therefore eliminating the problem from your point of view. It's a WIN-WIN!

OR..... if you really want help here, how about a well written, grammatically correct, chronological account of what the truck has been doing, it's symptoms, when it does it, what it does, how long does it do it, etc etc.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 88995
Does is shift hard? Check the throttle body.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 152532
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi fordguy View Post
Looking for a little help here.
1996 F350
E4OD
4WD
Crew Cab Long box

Why is this damn thing shifting at 3500 RPM at wide open throttle? Trans was rebuilt less than a year ago and I've been fighting a number of issues with it since then.
PULL CODES. and..... uh, call up the trans builder?

Edit: Check fuse #17. IIRC they had issues with wiring in the steering column shorting out and causing funky shifting issues.

Last edited by f350n4.6ranger; 09-20-2011 at 08:22 PM.
f350n4.6ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 196396
No codes. And it's been to the trans shop twice, they say its not throwing codes so its fine. It has a shift kit and is shifting normally, no "hard shifting". The warmer the truck gets the more erratic the shifts become.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 152532
Since it is a 96, monitor live engine data while it warms up. After sitting overnight, compare the ECT data to the IAT data and ambient temperature. Maybe the PCM thinks it is overheating and shifting it early. I'm not sure on the obd2 OBS trucks how the shift schedule is determined.

Check the TPS with the live scanner and engine off to see if it makes a full and clean sweep. If you see it dead stop at 60% with your foot to the floor, the computer has no way to know that you are NOT at 100% and shift it early. Any aftermarket tires? gears?

Pull the VSS off the rear axle (very top of housing) and clean it off. Metal can stick to it an cause all sorts of weird shit to happen.
f350n4.6ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 196396
I'll hook up and monitor warm up, that's a good idea. It's not OBD2 so that's no issue. I checked the TPS this morning and it does a very smooth sweep between .9 closed and 4.6 WOT. All in normal range. Is the TPS affected by temp? Should I check it again at full operating temp?

The VSS was replaced by the trans shop because it was setting a code, as was the shift position fella on the side of the trans. No aftermarket gears or tires, only axle mod is a Powertrax.