79 F250 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14912
Send a message via AIM to FordCountryGuy
79 F250

First off i am 17 and just gettin this 79 F250
it is 351M carb 4bbl
I am lookin for pics of a 79 F250 with a snorkel
I also am looking for somebody who makes or sells a 6" lift for it
I am Goin for 38" Swampers
I am also curious pics with lift
Anybody know of sources for a Winch mount /brush gaurd?(pics would be nice of it too)
Also i am looking for a Winch 12,000-15,000 lbs
What do you think of the Hydro Winch ?
what does the hydro runn off of?
FordCountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Send a message via ICQ to masterbeavis Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via MSN to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
Re: 79 F250

Quote:
Originally posted by FordCountryGuy
First off i am 17 and just gettin this 79 F250
it is 351M carb 4bbl
I am lookin for pics of a 79 F250 with a snorkel
I also am looking for somebody who makes or sells a 6" lift for it
I am Goin for 38" Swampers
I am also curious pics with lift
Anybody know of sources for a Winch mount /brush gaurd?(pics would be nice of it too)
Also i am looking for a Winch 12,000-15,000 lbs
What do you think of the Hydro Winch ?
what does the hydro runn off of?
What do you need a snorkel for?? That motor cant develop enough power to turn 31's let alone 38's. You want to do the 460 swap beofre ya need to worry about snorkels. I assume you plan on runnin this truck for mud? If not, forget about it. These trucks are good for tow vehicles, trail rigs, and mud, thats about it. Trust me, I know.
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11139
Re: Re: 79 F250

Quote:
Originally posted by masterbeavis

That motor cant develop enough power to turn 31's let alone 38's. You want to do the 460 swap beofre ya need to worry about snorkels. I assume you plan on runnin this truck for mud? If not, forget about it. These trucks are good for tow vehicles, trail rigs, and mud, thats about it. Trust me, I know.
Are you fucking serious? These are about the best built trucks to ever come from Detroit. Yeah, the Modified motors arent the best thing in the world, but they are far, far from being totally gutless. The gas mileage is terible, but the torque is there, you just gotta find it. Carb, intake,, and exhaust can really wake one of these up.

As for not being good for anyhting but mud, and to beat on, these trucks make excellent daily drivers, I drove them for a few years, and they are the best dual purpose rigs out there.
Dustin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2002, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7486
Re: Re: Re: 79 F250

Quote:
Originally posted by liliysdad

Are you fucking serious? These are about the best built trucks to ever come from Detroit. Yeah, the Modified motors arent the best thing in the world, but they are far, far from being totally gutless. The gas mileage is terible, but the torque is there, you just gotta find it. Carb, intake,, and exhaust can really wake one of these up.

As for not being good for anyhting but mud, and to beat on, these trucks make excellent daily drivers, I drove them for a few years, and they are the best dual purpose rigs out there.
DITTO

I ran a 78 F250 as a DD for for 3-4 years. Mileage sucks, but a good truck. I'm just using the drivetrain for a toy now, a toy with two stock 60's that is.

As to the lift ?, look in damn near ANY 4x4 mag and you will find a lift for it. Most all the companies make one for them.

Winch bumpers, Warn's Trans4mer is a popular one. Otherwise, get ya one built.

Do a SEARCH for the rest of it, I've seen the answers to ALL of them before.
Groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 13482
Send a message via Yahoo to NOTPRETTY
Yeah...What Lilisdad said...

Passionately centerist. We're slowly being killed by the far left and far right.
NOTPRETTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2002, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10560
Send a message via AIM to SamuraiChris Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiChris
You guys are fawkin idiots...............

You don't need 6" of lift to fit 38"s, here's what I did.
My 79 F-250

And these rigs will do anything, you want to rock crawl, these can rock crawl. Just forget about the sheetmetal and let the truck work. That's what I did and it worked great.
Good luck, you've got an awesome truck on your hands.
(if it's a manual with the Dana 60)
Chris
Old 12-16-2002, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ford Forum Moderator

Member # 421
Re: Re: Re: Re: 79 F250

Quote:
Originally posted by Groundhawg
As to the lift ?, look in damn near ANY 4x4 mag and you will find a lift for it. Most all the companies make one for them.
Actually last I checked, Skyjacker was the only one making a 6" for them.
AZFord4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2002, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Send a message via ICQ to masterbeavis Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via MSN to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
Ok, don't get me wrong, I am not slamming this era of ford truck as a whole, just the shitty motor! I happen to own a 77 lowboy that had a 351M in it, and found what 'lil torque the motor had to offer (cam, headers, manifold, carb) it ran OK, however the 460 ROCKS! I get the same mileage, and twice the power. These trucks were born as farm/work trucks and they do great for what they were designed for. Yes you can make them do anything(yes even rock crawl) yaddy yadda yadda blah blah blah..... Eventually I will finish the bitch....go here so you can laugh at my truck
Old 12-21-2002, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14135
Ok, first thing ya gotta do is identify what the truck is gonne be used for. THat's where ya start. It sounds like muddin' is gonna be yer bag. So here's what I'd do (I've built Fords for the past 12 years so I might know a thing or two).

Lets look at the motor- ditch it. Try to find a 460. It'll bolt right up to your tranny without any problems, you just need to get the motormount kit from L&L or Advanced Adapters. But if you can't afford that then get an Edelbrock Performer intake (part number EDL 2171) and matching carb (part number EDL 1411). If yer gonan rebuild the motor at all then get a better cam, flat top pistons, and open up the intake and exhaust ports. But honestly, if yer gonan go that far, better to find a 460 and rebuild it then drop it in teh truck when it's done.

As for the snorkel- forget about it. I don't think you'll be fordin' anythin' that deep if yer puttin' on a 6" lift and 38's. If you are, yer somewhere yer not supposed to be.

6" lift- Go with a 4" and a 3" body lift. The suspension won't be as stiff with a 4" because you can add in blocks in teh rear rather than using all spring. With teh 3" body lift ya get another inch out of it. But if ya must then Skyjacker and Superlift are the only 2 that make 'em, and even then it's for the "Low Boy's".

For yer tires, if yer donna be drivin' on teh street at all, get the radials, not biased ply.

Winches- go with a Warn, that's all I can say. They have 12,000 and 15,000 oound winches and they are the best. They sell mounts and bumpers for them, however I"ve found that a good chunk of 2" x 6" x 3/16" wall box steel tubing is a lot better for a winch bumper.

Stay away from the hydro winch.

Need any more help let me know.
saber6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2002, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15761
i have a chance, to get a 351 out of a 94 f-250... its a brand new crate motor and tranny, the truck was flipped... is that motor any good, and whats the tranny, is it a Aod or whatever,
thanks
01" gsx-r 1
iRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2002, 02:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Two words FOUR SIXTY

Stick with the 460. If you put in the 351W (not an M) you will have some extra grief. The 460 will give you tons more smiles per gallon vs. the 351W, and will not involve converting to EFI. You will need to convert OR shell out $600 for a computer to make the tranny work. If the tranny isnt a 4X4 tranny already, good luck converting it to mate to your tcase.

Here is a place that will sell you the mounts you need for a 460 for around $100. It is a better idea than the L&L ones that are 2X the money. The only downsize is that you have to cut on your motor perch to make these work (per their instructions)

http://performanceunlimited.com/cust...ginemount.html
Old 12-22-2002, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 15761
well what year is a good year to get a 460/c6/np205 out of..
THE 351 CRATE i have a chance to get is out of a f250HD 4x4 1994"
do they even make a semi-floating 10.25
01" gsx-r 1

Last edited by iRock; 12-22-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Quote:
Originally posted by iRock
well what year is a good year to get a 460/c6/np205 out of..
THE 351 CRATE i have a chance to get is out of a f250HD 4x4 1994"
do they even make a semi-floating 10.25
Use the tranny and Tcase you have now, it will bolt up to the 460. There might be a differnce between the torque converters tho. Why do you want a semi floating axle for? I have seen a couple of SF 60's before, but not Sf 10.25's That doesnt mean they dont exist tho. Changing broken axle shafts is a snap with a full floater.....
Old 12-22-2002, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11139
Semi Floater 10.25s do exist, but i really question anyones sanity who would swap a semifloater in anything on purpose....
Dustin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15761
LOL, i was just making sure, the rearend i got was a full floater,lol
01" gsx-r 1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.