NP 205 low gear-set - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156801
NP 205 low gear-set

I am tearing my NP 205 down to overhaul it. I want to put lower gears in it.The LoMax kit uses a custom case with a larger inspection cover and hole to get the center gear in. The case is other wise the same in size. Why can't I get the gears and put them in my case assuming I cut the inspection opening? I have been calling JB conversions for weeks and they do not answer the phone when I call.
F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-150 View Post
I am tearing my NP 205 down to overhaul it. I want to put lower gears in it.The LoMax kit uses a custom case with a larger inspection cover and hole to get the center gear in. The case is other wise the same in size. Why can't I get the gears and put them in my case assuming I cut the inspection opening? I have been calling JB conversions for weeks and they do not answer the phone when I call.
Jesus, why can't you figure this out for yourself? Did you bother to go to their site?
For starters, they never made a Ford input.
To top it all off, they don't even make them anymore.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 178499
^^ all of this being true WHY WONT SOMEONE MAKE A LOW GEAR SET FOR THE TOUGHEST TRANSFER CASE EVERY BUILT?????
fordtrucknut77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156801
dahoyle,
thankyou for your time. I did search this topic repeatedly and did not find a direct answer. I did go the the site. That is where I learned about the low gears in the first place. That is where I got their phone number which I called a few times leaving messages and left e-mails.

Regarding Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge NP 205s, are the gears different? Lomax made 5 new gears. The center idler-gear, and and two or three gears that replace stock gears on the stock shafts.

I am looking for some lomax NP 205 gears so I can put them in my stock case. I think that if I cut the inspection opening bigger I can get the gears in there.

I am going to start calling 4x4 parts houses looking for the gears.

So really what I want is to get my hands on the gears.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
dahoyle,
thankyou for your time. I did search this topic repeatedly and did not find a direct answer. I did go the the site. That is where I learned about the low gears in the first place. That is where I got their phone number which I called a few times leaving messages and left e-mails.

Regarding Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge NP 205s, are the gears different? Lomax made 5 new gears. The center idler-gear, and and two or three gears that replace stock gears on the stock shafts.

I am looking for some lomax NP 205 gears so I can put them in my stock case. I think that if I cut the inspection opening bigger I can get the gears in there.

I am going to start calling 4x4 parts houses looking for the gears.

So really what I want is to get my hands on the gears.
Do whatever you like. I can hardly wait for the post where you find some used ones, buy them, and come back crying because you can't bolt it up to your transmission.

Let me spell it out for you since you are obviously an ignorant fuck.

It won't work.

I could give you the reason (actually I already did), but you seem to think you know more than I do. Go ahead and buy them and let us all know how it turns out for you. When you have wasted your money, and come crying back, I'll be here to remind you that you were told.

By the way, you were told by someone who has had many 205's apart, and I know what is in them. Hell, I even turned a passenger side drop divorced case, into a drivers side drop. Even played with dual outputs(won't work with stock parts, unless you settle for single speed). But seriously, you saw a picture somewhere, and read a little about them, so obviously, your expertise is vastly superior to mine.

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.
dahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 156801
I object to being called a "fuck" and for being accused of being a know it all. I asked an honest question because after months of reading I still had questions that were unanswered.

I am going to read between the lines and guess the last page first;

the lomax gears are too large to ever fit in my stock Ford case. Even if it cut the inspection-hole larger.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
I object to being called a "fuck" and for being accused of being a know it all. I asked an honest question because after months of reading I still had questions that were unanswered.

I am going to read between the lines and guess the last page first;

the lomax gears are too large to ever fit in my stock Ford case. Even if it cut the inspection-hole larger.
Object to this. You're a retard who doesn't pay attention.

I told you, already, There was never a Ford input. Just how in the hell do you plan on hooking it up to your transmission? You honestly expect me to believe that you have done months of reading about the 205, but you are unfamiliar with their architecture, and what versions have what inputs. Bullshit.

And, for the record, I answered your question in my first post, so you don't have to "read between the lines".

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Not sure about the 205, but with the LT230 (Land Rover) the centerlines of the case are machined offset to allow the gears to fit. I would be surprised if the discontinued LoMax stuff is on the same centerline spacings as the stock 205.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mh4Runner View Post
Not sure about the 205, but with the LT230 (Land Rover) the centerlines of the case are machined offset to allow the gears to fit. I would be surprised if the discontinued LoMax stuff is on the same centerline spacings as the stock 205.
Then you would be even more surprised to learn that you were wrong. The spacing is the same. Whether or not the Ford case can be modified to work is really irrelevant. Chances are it could be.

None of that changes the fact that you can not build a Ford case with them, since one of the gears replaced with the kit is the input, and they never made a 31 spline input. Really, how many times does it have to be said before it sinks in.

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
I am not arguing with you, but I am curious how you know for a fact that the centerline of the intermediate gear is the same position in relation to the center lines of the front and rear outputs as the stock 205. I would be surprised if they were.

I have seen where a company offset machines the whole for the intermediate shaft to allow the use of aftermarket ratios in a stock case (LT230).

Maybe you had not understood the point I was trying to convey to the OP that it may not be as simple as just making the gear fit through the whole in the case.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
I am not arguing with you, but I am curious how you know for a fact that the centerline of the intermediate gear is the same position in relation to the center lines of the front and rear outputs as the stock 205. I would be surprised if they were.

I have seen where a company offset machines the whole for the intermediate shaft to allow the use of aftermarket ratios in a stock case (LT230).

Maybe you had not understood the point I was trying to convey to the OP that it may not be as simple as just making the gear fit through the whole in the case.
Yes, you are being argumentative. Nothing wrong with that, as a general rule, but when you are arguing from a position of total ignorance,(we aren't discussing Rover cases, are we?) then you come off as a fucking tool. My facts are totally accurate, however surprising that may be to you.

If you absolutely must know, I am sure because they only replace the low range gears. The 1:1 gears are not changed, soooooo, if you changed the spacing, then only the gears that were replaced, would mesh. The high range gears would no longer work.

Furthermore, I know it for a fact, because the stock 205 gearset installs perfectly, and works just fine, in the heavy duty LoMax case.

You are correct on one point, however. It isn't simply a matter of getting the gears into the case. As I have pointed out repeatedly, the goddamn input does not exist, has never existed, and since they quit making the more popular GM set, it's safe to say that it will never exist.

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
So if this was going behind a 203 and the 205 input spline issue is easily resolved, then it would be something your knowledge would help us answer?

Imagine C6 to 203 to a Ford 205 case to get left hand drop, could your experience figure a way to fit the gears in the case now that the input spline question is non-existent?

I have a YJ project here with a C6 to GM 203 (Ford input) clocked up flat and a Ford 205 behind it with a Jed's adapter that we welded. What is going to keep him from putting the Lomax gears in the stock Ford case since its easy to get another 203 output shaft to match? The owner and wondered if it would be possible for future gearing options, but were never sure.

Not that finding one of these gearsets would be easy.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
So if this was going behind a 203 and the 205 input spline issue is easily resolved, then it would be something your knowledge would help us answer?

Imagine C6 to 203 to a Ford 205 case to get left hand drop, could your experience figure a way to fit the gears in the case now that the input spline question is non-existent?
Theoretically, it is possible. It would mean machining out the PTO port to a size which would allow the intermediate gear to be installed. Aside from that, you would need to weld a flange to replace the one you machined out, so that you could seal it all up again. Might have to do some additional clearancing on the case to ensure the gears spin without interference. Given the location of the PTO port, you would obviously have to install the intermediate, before any of the other clusters. Not exactly an issue, as you would have to anyways, but maneuvering it into place might be more problematic. Personally, if I was that interested, I would look into having a clamshell case machined, similar to the stack, but it all depends on your abilities or contacts. I used to have drawings for just such a project, but they are on a dead computer out in the shed.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and this one demonstrates perfectly, the opening you would have to duplicate.
http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/91...s_of_lomax.jpg

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1234
What a cluster fuck.

Seriously. Buy an Atlas. Or put a planetary reduction box in front of the 205. Northwest fab and Klune's are less than $2k and would give multiple low ranges. One retarded low range ain't that great for wheelin. Buying used parts or custom one off stuff that will never exist again is a waste of money. When something happens and you need them again, you are fucked. Good luck
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 83920
I never said it was a good idea. Maybe, and I mean maybe, If I had the gears, it would be worth messing with, but as you pointed out, there are too many easier ways to get it done.

I would probably just sell the gears to some dumbass who wanted to put them in his Ford, and buy a Klune, as you suggested.

Personally, my setup is a divorced 203 into a Ford 205.

Yeah, I know....... But with an M715, I'm hardly hurting for wheelbase, and the divorced setup is the only practical way to hook it to my trans. Anyone ever seen a 1480 jackshaft
Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 156801
Thankyou dayhoyle,
finnially you acknowledged my question. If you had the gears and a spare Ford case you might try it but you would rather sell the gears to a "dumbass" and buy Klune-V or such.

Now with all do respect would you please talk to me about NP 203 and NP 205 doublers?

With that said I am probably going to put a NP 203 range-box in front of my NP 205. If the 3.6:1 gears are still avalable for the NP 203 then would have 4 speeds rather than repeats.
205 203
1:1 H H
1.96:1 L H
2:1 H L
3.92:1 L L

With a 3.6:1 in the NP 203 woud I have this?
205 203
3.6:1 H L
7.06:1 L L

Last edited by F-150; 10-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1234
don't go soft on me now dillhole
Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Thankyou dayhoyle,
finnially you acknowledged my question. If you had the gears and a spare Ford case you might try it but you would rather sell the gears to a "dumbass" and buy Klune-V or such.

Now with all do respect would you please talk to me about NP 203 and NP 205 doublers?

With that said I am probably going to put a NP 203 range-box in front of my NP 205. If the 3.6:1 gears are still avalable for the NP 203 then would have 4 speeds rather than repeats.
205 203

205 203
Knowing the rest of your powertrain, tires and what you are trying to do would be helpfull if you want a insightfull response

Last edited by Danger Ranger; 10-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Danger Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Thankyou dayhoyle,

205 203

205 203
Jesus Christ, where do you get your information. There are no fucking 3.6 gears for a 203.

Really, what you can expect with a 203 doubler is 1;1, 2:1, and 4:1. Yes, I rounded it all off, but you should be getting the message by now.

And, as I have said a number of times, I answered your stupid fucking question in my first post. You never said a damn thing about a doubler till now, so now the answer is slightly different, as i stated to Mh4Runner.

In any case, it's a moot point. There are no gears, for either the 205 or the 203 except the factory ones.

Here is one final word of advice. If you really spent months researching all this, then you really need to spend another 5 or 10 years reading some more, because as it stands now, you don't know a fucking thing. If you want a doubler, then go to the classifieds and buy one already set up for your transmission(I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you need a 31 spline input, but that is just a guess since you haven't bothered stating what the fuck it's going behind). I say that, because my next guess is that you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of actually obtaining all the right parts, and mating them up properly.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 156801
It is a 1966 Bronco with a .040" over 351W, AOD with 300M 1-peice imput-shaft, C6 torque converter, 2,200 to 2,500 rpm stall, and Bauman shift kit. The output shaft is a stock 31-spline 4x4 output shaft. I have the stock adapter. The bolts line up on both ends of the adapter to both the AOD and the NP 205. There needs to be a notch cut between two ribs on the adapter for one of the shiter rails. I am leaning toward running 33' tires and +3.5" of lift on the coils and add a leafs in the back.

From your last post I think I am only getting 3 speeds from the doubler; 1:1, 1.96:1 or 2:1, and 3,92:1.

1.96:1 X 2:1 doesn't equal 4:1. I don't have a 2:1 NP 205. I have a 1.96:1 NP 205.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoyle View Post
Really, what you can expect with a 203 doubler is 1;1, 2:1, and 4:1. Yes, I rounded it all off, but you should be getting the message by now.
Quote:
1.96:1 X 2:1 doesn't equal 4:1. I don't have a 2:1 NP 205. I have a 1.96:1 NP 205.
:muthafawkingfacepalm:
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 127442
^ Lol seriously dude go read.
And wtf do you need a doubler for with a mall crawler on 33's for?
Ford rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Guns N' Roses - Civil War (Music Video) - YouTube
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoyle View Post

Ok, I think I have narrowed down your problem somewhat.

You're fucking retarded. You can't read, and apparently, you can't do math very well either. If you could, then you would understand the whole "rounding off" concept. They taught it way back in elementary school.

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Fucking A.

A serious failure to communicate.

Last edited by dahoyle; 10-23-2011 at 07:12 PM.