Need some help lifting my Quadravan - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 202693
Need some help lifting my Quadravan

Yeah yeah I know, my first post is "How do I lift my rig?" If this was just a standard truck I would deserve some flaming but please take a look at these pictures of my suspension and help me out.

Here's the van: '78 E250 Pathfinder quadravan, 460, C6, 205, 32ish" all-terrains...

I'm looking to fit 37s and I'm not afraid to cut the shit out of the fenders but I think I will still need/want at least a 4" or maybe 6" lift. Problem is that the front suspension and axle are all custom to pathfinder.

Radius arm bracket:

I'm pretty sure this is what the axle yoke will look like on my radius arms:

Front axle with weird dual track bar:

So I think I want to extend the radius arms and it looks like I can just move the brackets back and drill new holes in the frame to mount those. I'm worried about how to keep my axle rotated the right amount.
Any way to do this other than cutting off and moving the mounts on my axle? Ideas on what to do about that dual track bar set up?
And finally, how the hell do I find springs that will lift this the right amount without using the expensive and time consuming trial and error method?
lunchkrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Really hard to see your pictures, but it looks like a 78/79 Ford bronco suspension.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 202693
Yeah the pictures aren't great but check out the picture of the radius arm yoke. It doesn't use the C bushings like the old broncos.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
4x4 station wagon in the drive yours too?

is there a second piece to the radius arm to cup the axle like in a stock 70's half ton or no?

and here's something you might have missed, you are going to need some stupidly tucked in rims to fit 37's and still be able to use the side sliding door...
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 202693
The picture I posted of the radius arm is upside down. It wraps around the under side of the axle and bolts on similar to dodge style. The spring perch bolts on and encloses the axle but isn't actually holding the axle to the radius arm.

Good point on the sliding door but I think it will be fine. The rear link that runs in the track is actually longer than on the standard vans so it hangs out much farther from the body when it is open.

The wagon is my project but it's not going to be 4x4 so it doesn't belong on this site.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 93013
The track bar, or the bastard twin opposing trackbars that the rig has will not be happy with the lift. Plan on completely re-engineering the laterial axle locating system.

Radius arms look like Land Cruiser/Patrol arms if I am looking/reading correctly. The arm has 2 busings each, look kinda like leaf spring bushings or large shock bushings. One bushing in front of the axle, the other behind. Really nothing can be done with them at this point. Bushings would be a bastard to find, and at this age they are probably very close to disentgration anyway. Finding new ones would be looking at spec sheets and guessing what might be close enough to fit. The Land Cruiser/Patrol arms can be had with offset bushings to correct for caster with a lift.

So your track bar is garbage and not adaptable to lifting. Same for the radius arms. Springs and shocks will need replacing for a lift. At this point we have nothing except the steering linkage and brake lines attaching the axle to the van. Speaking of axle, Dana 44 it looks like. And for that vintage it should be. Full size van and going for a lift and larger tires on a D44? It lived with stock sized tires, but not sure how it will fair with added stresses.

I am not really seeing much of a good idea in lifting this. Suspension alone is going to be a wipe and start fresh in order to get any lift at all. Axle I would deam questionable for a lifted van as well, so maybe everything new up front. Back is leaf springs, spring packs and/or blocks will do but that is the least of your worries. Not even going to guess on what hacking on the body may/will be needed.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 202693
Thanks. I will look into eccentric bushings.