460 egr fitting broke - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 196396
460 egr fitting broke

I'm building a 460 for my F350 and am installing headers. While trying to remove the egr 90 degree fitting from the left manifold I broke it. I've been looking but I can't find one to replace it. I can't be the first to do this, what have any of you guys done?
wi fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 210642
Buy the appropriate size pipe plugs and install, move on.
benjaminshaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
party wagon

Member # 202878
lol newb flaming..

just click here

hell far... doesnt anyone search

DC METALWERX
FordX4-offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 196396
Already saw that and was hoping not to spend a 100 on a dinky ass fitting. I wasn't sure if this was something you could find in the plumbing section or not. Dragging small children through a million plumbing isles isn't a good time.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56006
Ask Randy he can set you up with anything you need... Hes pretty much a Ford god.. Tell him the guy from Eau Claire sent you..

http://performanceunlimited.com/

Myself I would have man up and suck a dick, pretty sure I couldn't make out with a dude.[/QUOTE]
JoshTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 210642
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminshaw80 View Post
Buy the appropriate size pipe plugs and install, move on.
I was not flaming, I was dead serious! Unless you have testing and can't pass without EGR. I am lucky enough to not have to deal with that crap. I would not spent 20 bucks to replace it. Bung up the holes and run it!
benjaminshaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Got Solar?

Member # 105362
I did some searching through Mcmaster and came upon the Yor-Lock fittings. You can get a 90 deg fitting with a 3/4" pipe thread on one side and a 3/4" compression fitting on the other.

From what I've found online, the OEM fitting in question is a 90 degree elbow with a 3/4" pipe thread into the manifold and 19mm flare fitting at the EGR tube. Please verify the actual measurement of the tube, just to make sure. The standard conversion for 19mm is 19mm*(1in/25.4mm) = 0.748", which is as close to 3/4" as you're going to get. I was able to find fitting that had metric on the compression side, but nothing that was large enough for your tube. It also lists a required tube wall thickness. Measure your tube wall the see if it'll work.

This would require you to cut the flare off the stock EGR tube, have a relatively clean surface (not corroded), and have enough tube left to insert into the fitting, which most likely will insert further into the fitting than the stock tube, which might cause some strain problems with the stock tube.

They're a stainless steel fitting, suited for high temperature (1200 deg F) corrosive, dirty environments. If I had the same problem you currently do, it would probably be the route I would go for repair.

Since you're building this engine for your truck, you have easy access to perform all this work.

It's a $42 fitting, but hey, it's stainless, what more do you want?

They do list a standard steel fitting for about $20, but it's only rated for 800 deg F, so it's marginal for an exhaust application on this engine, however, since you're installation will be a one time, install it and forget about it, it should be alright to use as long as you don't intend to ever take it apart again.

Link to Mcmaster page
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-co...ttings/=g81ddn

Name:  untitled3.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  14.3 KB

Now that you know the type of fitting that might be a suitable alternative to the OEM piece, you could probably search the web for a cheaper solution as Mcmaster tends to be priced high (although it's pretty convenient).

To anyone who says "Search Newb", this thread, and the one previously linked, come up near the top of the list on google, neither of which list anything resembling a solution.

Deleting EGR, IMO, has it's own problems, such as an MIL, reduced fuel economy, etc, and isn't worth the hassle to screw with for a stock, daily driven truck.

Last edited by krugford; 02-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 196396
I'll be a guinea pig on this. I'll post results good or bad. Thank you to those that had some intelligent suggestions.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 196396
Using the link posted by krugford I went went with the $20 regular steel elbow. Install went very well, only problems came from the headers having the egr bung in a different orientation than stock. A little heat and some bending fixed that problem right up. To use the mcmaster fitting, which is a compression fitting, you need to cut the pipe fitting off the bottom of the egr tube and then cut off the tubes flare. I was doing this work on an engine stand so it only took about a half an hour to do the whole job, in vehicle would probably be a very different timeline.