1980 F-250 4x4 w/ Low Miles - Is it worth it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation
 
roarksupply.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176241
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 1,669
1980 F-250 4x4 w/ Low Miles - Is it worth it?

Ok guys, I know my way around trucks, but primarily Chevy's cause its what I grew up on.

Can you Ford guys tell me if this is worth anything, to keep as a local parts runner or to part out? Or just what to watch out for. I will get some pics up soon but I can get it for about $600.

What I have is a 1980 F-250 Single Cab, long bed with about 49k miles. It has a 351 (i think), 2barrel carb, 4-speed manual, 4x4, 8 lug steel rims. And it runs & drives!

The body is in decent shape with a few dings and dents and a little rust over the wheel wells in the rear and a camper shell.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Phone: 1-888-301-3007
roarksupply.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AllGoNoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46318
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarksupply.com View Post
Ok guys, I know my way around trucks, but primarily Chevy's cause its what I grew up on.

Can you Ford guys tell me if this is worth anything, to keep as a local parts runner or to part out? Or just what to watch out for. I will get some pics up soon but I can get it for about $600.

What I have is a 1980 F-250 Single Cab, long bed with about 49k miles. It has a 351 (i think), 2barrel carb, 4-speed manual, 4x4, 8 lug steel rims. And it runs & drives!

The body is in decent shape with a few dings and dents and a little rust over the wheel wells in the rear and a camper shell.

Thanks in advance.
Yes it is worth 600 bucks...
__________________
1979 Ford: Sooped up with some metal and big tires.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member # 56456
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 1,574
Yeah thats not a bad deal.. Motors are pretty lethargic but for a 4x4 runner for 600$ you cant beat it.
__________________
74 f100, 4bt, 3link hp 60/14 bolt, welded f/r np435/205
Fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation
 
roarksupply.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176241
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 1,669
Thanks. Anything that can be done to the motor to spruce it up? i have a ton of local hotrod ford customers and they have all kinds of parts laying around that I can trade them for.

I will either part this thing out or put some time into it and try to sell whole.....after driving for a year or two.

Thanks again, should have some pics up tonight.
__________________
Phone: 1-888-301-3007
roarksupply.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka
 
Dr.Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Member # 168243
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 1,785
Definitely worth $600. Plenty can be done to spruce up a 351, but just remember that in 1980 they were about as smogged down as they could be (much like the 350's of the same era), so it'll take some thought as to what you want to put into it. Front axle will be a TTB but if it's just a mild wheeler it'll do fine. The bushings are all probably shot and need to be replaced since it's that old but it isn't terribly hard to do. SAS'ing these trucks isn't difficult if you wanna go that route.

EDIT: I wouldn't part it out either, the individual parts are pretty common and aren't highly sought after. Around here at least, any running and driving 4x4 is worth $1000 as a ranch or hunting truck. It being a 4 speed makes it even better. My vote goes to keeping and driving it.
__________________
-Dave

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 02-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
knightkrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Member # 179963
Posts: 381
Buy it
__________________
Rig stolen by evil bitches......
'Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God." Jefferson
knightkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
EricsGreen98Tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 187456
Location: Elkins WV
Posts: 928
Does it have a granny 1st gear? Np435 or the Ford Top loader? Honestly for $600 you'd be hard pressed to find a better truck.

I'd buy it and beat it to death. See how much punishment it can take before something gives. Then part out whats left to get the $600 back.

Pics and Vids if you go that route though.
__________________
Looking for a hydraulic FORD 4 speed bellhousing and the clutch fork. PM me with any leads please.
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Beat95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22176
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 9,683
You aren't doing anything to that motor and passing CA smog. For a beater shop truck it sounds fine.
__________________
I can break a steel ball in a rubber room!

Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
benjaminshaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 210642
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 43
.......i would buy that truck!
benjaminshaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
turpehar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 143171
Location: Central IL
Posts: 91
I had one of those new and drove it 23 years. One clutch replaced and motor rebuilt at 120k. Oh, forgot to mention I changed oil once in a while. Paid $8000 brand new in XLT trim. I should have bought two.

Buy it. I can't believe some wancker would sell it that cheap.
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation
 
roarksupply.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176241
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 1,669
Thanks guys.

So I started it today and took pics which I will post. Its a custom 250. I think its outta gas cause it wouldnt stay running but the guage started out at half. Dual fill, single tank it appears cause there is no two tanks switch.

Jerry rigged a 1gal gas can to the carb and it fired up and it was sucking down the fuel. Then hand revved the throttle at the carb and the pump started working and spaying fuel so I hooked it back into the carb and it ran for a while but died so I ran about a half gallon outta the fill can. The clutch seemed good and reverse and first worked but I only went a few feet back and forth. I will fill more gas into it and test drive. Tire leaks at the valve too so I can only do so much at once

The power steereing pump was screaching pretty good so i'll bring some fluid next time. I will problynot go more than $500 cause most of the seals are leaking and hoses wont be far behind and that will be time and money.

It did fire back up after charging the battery for 20min of idle so we'll see if it holds a charge for next time
__________________
Phone: 1-888-301-3007
roarksupply.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member # 158768
Location: on the internet stalkin' and shit.
Posts: 3,549
$600 for a runner is more than fair. $500+ for a 2x runner, $800+ for a functioning 4x4 runner as a pretty simple base line imho, unless it's a complete hunk of shit. without pics it sounds like you are in the good. 80-82 or 3 had "speed hole" frames that were prone to rust, but i wouldn't worry in cali. for some reason they put a bunch of big holes along the frame rails, fuck if i know why.
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
ddestruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member # 20999
Location: Lost in Nor Cal
Posts: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
You aren't doing anything to that motor and passing CA smog. For a beater shop truck it sounds fine.
shouldnt you be pimping a smog legal aluminium intake for this one?



in all seriousness in 1980 its probably a 351M. with that kind of mileage, a manual tranny and 4x4 id buy it in a heart beat even as a beater tow rig it'll do alot


Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
$80-82 or 3 had "speed hole" frames that were prone to rust, but i wouldn't worry in cali. for some reason they put a bunch of big holes along the frame rails, fuck if i know why.
F100's and some of the the light duty 3/4 tons with semi floater rear axles had the swiss cheese "shave a few pounds and try to get better mileage" frames


Quote:
Originally Posted by roarksupply.com View Post
Thanks guys.

So I started it today and took pics which I will post. Its a custom 250. I think its outta gas cause it wouldnt stay running but the guage started out at half. Dual fill, single tank it appears cause there is no two tanks switch.
should be on the same face plate as the heater controls and fan lever.
__________________
I AM ONE OF MANY WHOM WASHINGTON HAS CHOSEN TO IGNORE OR FORGET
But i Vote

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 02-20-2012 at 11:07 PM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member # 158768
Location: on the internet stalkin' and shit.
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
in all seriousness in 1980 its probably a 351M. with that kind of mileage, a manual tranny and 4x4 id buy it in a heart beat even as a beater tow rig it'll do alot
forgot all about that. yep, will more than likely be an "M" motor up to 82ish. good catch. op, count the valve cover bolts to figure out what motor it is. and post up how many. idk much on sbf's but the number of bolts is different between engine familes and will identify what you have. wanna say m's have 8 and w's have 6 but i'm drawing a blank right now.
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 211063
Posts: 156
buy it!
__________________
78 f150 351m 4 speed 4x4
kentucky4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member # 56456
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
forgot all about that. yep, will more than likely be an "M" motor up to 82ish. good catch. op, count the valve cover bolts to figure out what motor it is. and post up how many. idk much on sbf's but the number of bolts is different between engine familes and will identify what you have. wanna say m's have 8 and w's have 6 but i'm drawing a blank right now.
your right on the valve cover bolts. m's will have more than 6. i dont remember if its 8 or 9
__________________
74 f100, 4bt, 3link hp 60/14 bolt, welded f/r np435/205
Fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka
 
Dr.Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Member # 168243
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
shouldnt you be pimping a smog legal aluminium intake for this one?



in all seriousness in 1980 its probably a 351M. with that kind of mileage, a manual tranny and 4x4 id buy it in a heart beat even as a beater tow rig it'll do alot




F100's and some of the the light duty 3/4 tons with semi floater rear axles had the swiss cheese "shave a few pounds and try to get better mileage" frames





should be on the same face plate as the heater controls and fan lever.
I'm no Ford engineer from the 80's, but I'm pretty sure the frames had holes drilled in order to make them more rigid, not lose weight. Try taking a piece of thin steel or aluminum, and flex it around a bunch. Then drill tons of round holes throughout it, and try flexing it again. I guarantee you it won't flex easily at all because the forces are now spread along the inside edge of every hole drilled as well as the outer edge of the sheet.

The only downside is there is less metal left; as we know in northern climates it ate the frames apart far too quickly.
__________________
-Dave
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member # 56456
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
I'm no Ford engineer from the 80's, but I'm pretty sure the frames had holes drilled in order to make them more rigid, not lose weight. Try taking a piece of thin steel or aluminum, and flex it around a bunch. Then drill tons of round holes throughout it, and try flexing it again. I guarantee you it won't flex easily at all because the forces are now spread along the inside edge of every hole drilled as well as the outer edge of the sheet.

The only downside is there is less metal left; as we know in northern climates it ate the frames apart far too quickly.
Maybe if they are dimpled it will make it more rigid. Simply putting a hole in a piece of flat plate will not make it more rigid.
__________________
74 f100, 4bt, 3link hp 60/14 bolt, welded f/r np435/205
Fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka
 
Dr.Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Member # 168243
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman500 View Post
Maybe if they are dimpled it will make it more rigid. Simply putting a hole in a piece of flat plate will not make it more rigid.
I thought it was stamped? (drilled was a bad word to use) http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/41...that-weak.html Post #11. It seems silly that they would cut a few round plates out at the rear of the frame for weight savings, it can't have actually saved much. Either way it didn't turn out to be a great idea and shouldn't be too hard to plate and reinforce one of those frames if he actually has one.
__________________
-Dave

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 02-21-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Havok450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138949
Location: Wenatchee Washington
Posts: 322
Send a message via MSN to Havok450 Send a message via Yahoo to Havok450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman500 View Post
your right on the valve cover bolts. m's will have more than 6. i dont remember if its 8 or 9
it is 8 i believe, i have a pair of m series m/t valve covers that have 8 bolt holes
__________________
My friend hates Chevy, but owns 2, wtf
Havok450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188919
Location: Hainsville NJ
Posts: 2
I would buy that in a heart beat, BTW, drilled or stamped, the holes are there to make the frame stronger against flex, just look at semi truck frames and other class A and B vehicles.....that's why they have decals on the frames warning against drilling or cutting any "additional" holes in the frames, because then the tested strength is effected.

Back on topic: That truck would sell for over 1500 here in Jersey.
__________________
Life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away

Last edited by willys55; 02-21-2012 at 02:58 AM.
willys55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mjlogan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Member # 23553
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarksupply.com View Post
Thanks guys.

So I started it today and took pics which I will post. Its a custom 250. I think its outta gas cause it wouldnt stay running but the guage started out at half. Dual fill, single tank it appears cause there is no two tanks switch.
If its the same setup as the 80s/early 90s diesels, there are plastic pickup tubes that run down into the tanks. Those will crack or break off only allowing you to suck the fuel down partway. It may be half full, but the tube is broken off at that level.

Should have 2 tanks, the 2nd one is above the spare tire.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation
 
roarksupply.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176241
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 1,669
Pics

Yup, the owners friend (who is a customer) said it was probly a 351M. And yes, I noticed the frame was swiss cheese, lots of holes!



A little front end body work.




Minor Rust over wheels but everything else is light surface rust



__________________
Phone: 1-888-301-3007
roarksupply.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation
 
roarksupply.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176241
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlogan88 View Post
If its the same setup as the 80s/early 90s diesels, there are plastic pickup tubes that run down into the tanks. Those will crack or break off only allowing you to suck the fuel down partway. It may be half full, but the tube is broken off at that level.

Should have 2 tanks, the 2nd one is above the spare tire.
I think the guages need exercising cause the gas went from a half tank to nothing once the pump started working and I only ran it for a 3 or 4 minutes on the tank fuel. I will check beneath the fan controls for the tank switch cause the middle section of dash has been removed to jerry-rig the stereo.

here are some mechanical pics so you guys can tell me what engine is in it and tanks, etc.

















__________________
Phone: 1-888-301-3007
roarksupply.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God
 
dieselboy740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Member # 168108
Location: Ramona
Posts: 1,727
Looks well worth 600$.
__________________
'90 f-250 project, boat sides, 3/4 link, caged, psd, back halved, dove tailed, fox co/ bumps, etc....
'04 Doge ram 4x, cclb, hemi
'82 Volvo 242 turbo
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.