Traction Bars - Custom Made - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 206035
Traction Bars - Custom Made

Lots of variety out there for you to buy them ready made
I like the OUO style...but the $$$ is outrageous.

I like the price of the Fabtech and Pro-Comp, but the more I read, I'm seeing they are a binding concern waiting to snap something.

So I'm wanting to make my own, but need some opinions. I've searched here and other forums and get tons of different answers/opinions.
The Truck: 06 F-250 with a 4.5" Donahoe Racing lift. DR coils up front, 5.5" replacement block out back with factory leafs. 35" rubber (soon to be 37")...tuned 6.0 PSD and a shit-ton of wheel hop when I peg the throttle

My thoughts:
Hiem joints on front and rear of bars
front end on a shackle mounted to frame rail
minimum of 60" length
bars mount below axle tube
bars mounted to maintain same angle as driveshaft
truck doesn't do much offroad, mainly to keep from grenading on acceleration

My thoughts are that the hiem joints will allow the axle to twist, and the shackle allow for leaf compression.

Found these tractor links for $20 each...should be plenty strong for my purposes after cutting in 1/2 and welding to tubing

and a shackle similar to this for the front mount to the frame

and a simple mount like this for the rear axle

I found these Rize bars that are very similar to what I'm wanting. The double mount on the axle I'm not a fan of though. Seems it would cause issues and negate the point of using a heim on both ends
Tylus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 196615
Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCO-NUT
If I do end up building one I will build one with a shackle like the one you posted with dom and hiems.
BRONCO-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83920
You have no idea what you're doing, right?

You should look for more pictures, and revise your plan.

Last edited by dahoyle; 04-14-2012 at 07:59 PM.
dahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 202878
id look into one of these first

http://fordcummins.com/Est_FCPN_1272_from_BRADLEY_.pdf

6.0 =

[COLOR="DimGray"][B]DC METALWERX [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"]...[/COLOR]
FordX4-offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post

I found these Rize bars that are very similar to what I'm wanting. The double mount on the axle I'm not a fan of though. Seems it would cause issues and negate the point of using a heim on both ends

Feel free to explain the function, if you have a single heim at the axle, and a shackle at the frame. What you will have is a piece of pipe hanging, with a hinge in it.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 98550
build em and post the results!
hart7290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 168108
Um? You do realize how the shackled traction bars work right? A shackle on a single linked bar at the axle won't work.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 167647
you are gonna need a "double mount" at the axle so that it can actually control the axle wrap. if you just have a single heim at the axle then the axle will still wrap and the shackle will just move as the axle does

the build up of ^ truck [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015047[/url]
150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1635
I would suggest more researching of traction bars.

Last edited by Mr.N; 04-15-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Mr.N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
OP, just get 8 of those tractor beams and four link your shit front and rear. That shit is fucking genius.

Wow, I thought the jeep forums were overrun with tards.

Last edited by Rooney77; 04-15-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 206035
and that is why I'm asking. I have no problem asking before doing something stupid. I'd rather do that and avoid learning a lesson the hard way.
thanks for the utterly useless replies. lots of good info can be found here, but most of you fucktard armchair jockeys need to get a life. or at least provide some useful info

I have a fucking 8,000 lbs Superduty. It obviously won't articulate for shit offroad...hell it'll get stuck if it looks at a puddle the wrong way because of the heavy ass PSD up front and no weight out back

but at the end of the day I'd like to have some ladder bars that won't hurt the little bit of flex I do have with 1 ton leafs/axles
the Fabtech and Procomp setups are born to break with any articulation. the Rize one looks pretty, but I've read of them breaking.

the only bars that seem to hold up well are the OUO ones. I haven't found any negative about them...besides the $$$$$. I can always just copy their radius arm setup. would actually be quite easy. only issue is that I've had a ton of TTB F-150's and those radius arm bushing suck ass

thx
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 45530
Quote:
and that is why I'm asking. I have no problem asking before doing something stupid. I'd rather do that and avoid learning a lesson the hard way.
thanks for the utterly useless replies. lots of good info can be found here, but most of you fucktard armchair jockeys need to get a life. or at least provide some useful info

I have a fucking 8,000 lbs Superduty. It obviously won't articulate for shit offroad...hell it'll get stuck if it looks at a puddle the wrong way because of the heavy ass PSD up front and no weight out back

but at the end of the day I'd like to have some ladder bars that won't hurt the little bit of flex I do have with 1 ton leafs/axles
the Fabtech and Procomp setups are born to break with any articulation. the Rize one looks pretty, but I've read of them breaking.

the only bars that seem to hold up well are the OUO ones. I haven't found any negative about them...besides the $$$$$. I can always just copy their radius arm setup. would actually be quite easy. only issue is that I've had a ton of TTB F-150's and those radius arm bushing suck ass

thx
Butthurt newb is butthurt.

You asked how something would work, were told it wouldn't work, got all butt hurt. How about this, if you like the OUO, copy their design if you think you can build them.

As for the tractor links, there is a reason guys are paying $30-40 per joint instead of using an entire link that costs $20. Those tractor links will last all of about 100 miles before they're shot.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:

thx
Well it's obvious that your expertise on the matter far surpasses the collective wisdom here. I guess everyone telling you that you had your head up your ass and that you should re-consider your design, well, that was just everyone being mean. It would have been better for all involved, for it to get built, and then you could post some pictures of it. Then we could all enjoy some serious laughs at your expense.

Let me ask you something. Why not tie a shoelace around one of your u-bolts, and then just tie it loosely somewhere on the frame, in the area of the front spring mount. Let it sag, at least a good 3-4 inches of droop in the middle. That won't work very well as a traction bar, will it? Well, that is what you said you were going to install. Every one of the useless posts, as you refer to them, was advising you against such folly. How the fuck did you find any way to be butthurt by that? Pirate is harsh, but this is absolutely the kindest response to stupidity that I have ever seen. If it's too much for you to bear, then you need to get the fuck out now.

I mean, no-one called you a retard(well, almost no-one), no one said a goddamn thing(well, almost no-one) except that you should research and re-consider. Hell, Even I had a moment of something akin to kindness, and tried to point you in the right direction without pointing out how utterly fucking stupid you were.

I mean, really, how did you find anything offensive in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
I would suggest more researching of traction bars.
Let me be a little more blunt, since you seem to be really fucking stupid. You haven't caught shit. Hell that wouldn't qualify as a gentle tease on here. That makes you the absolute supreme whiney cunt of all time.

Congratulations on your weak ass response tho. That shit is going to bring in the predators. Ever seen a shark feeding frenzy on The Discovery Channel?
Well, guess what is on the menu.

Last edited by dahoyle; 04-15-2012 at 08:14 AM.
dahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 128472
I'm going to use tractor links for my Samurai's anti-wrap bar. But then again its a 1300lb, 52 horsepower, piece of shit. meh

[QUOTE]1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=void_of_light;20712729]Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.[/QUOTE]
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM93LiftedYJ View Post
I'm going to use tractor links for my Samurai's anti-wrap bar. But then again its a 1300lb, 52 horsepower, piece of shit. meh

It isn't about what he is choosing to build it from. It's about his design, which will not work in any way as a traction bar, but rather, will just be junk dangling under his truck.

I hope you put more thought into what makes a traction bar work, then he did.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 206035
fuck it...no point feeding trolls

I'll bow out now. y'all have fun with the little circle jerk you got going on

Last edited by Tylus; 04-15-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
fuck it...no point feeding trolls

I'll bow out now. y'all have fun with the little circle jerk you got going on
OK. bye.

I'm pretty sure the explanation of what was wrong with your design went right over the top of your head. No point in sticking around if you are too fucking stupid to learn.

It's lot like it's our loss
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 186066
just get a ruff stuff kit and build your own, however based on your questions I don't think you have the brain power....
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 128472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoyle View Post
It isn't about what he is choosing to build it from. It's about his design, which will not work in any way as a traction bar, but rather, will just be junk dangling under his truck.

I hope you put more thought into what makes a traction bar work, then he did.
There's a write-up here somewhere on how to build one for a Samurai. Just going to follow that. /shrug

[QUOTE]1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=void_of_light;20712729]Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.[/QUOTE]
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Good riddance.

Traction bars are a waste in a Super Duty. Longer rear leaf springs are the ticket for reducing axle wrap which is what Ford did for 2008 and later. 2011 and later SDs have even thicker leafs for combating axle wrap. I would swap in those before I ever tried some hokey assed traction bar.

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0

Last edited by FordFascist; 04-16-2012 at 01:26 AM.
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
On a tow rig, all you need is a bar under the spring to the frame, no shackle needed.
Don't use tractor shit either.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forever being built

Member # 94308
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
On a tow rig, all you need is a bar under the spring to the frame, no shackle needed.
Don't use tractor shit either.
This, it doesn't need to flex like a wheeler, so a bushing at one end and a heim at the other is all the flex you'd need. I built a set for a friend with a built up duramax just like that and it went from massive wheelhop to 3-4th gear rolling burnouts with no hop, and it'll take off straight on a launch now with no hop either.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 112640
This is the setup I use one bar bushings at one end hiem and shackle on the other

cant see the other end very well but it has a heim with a shackle that bolts to a bushing on the transmission crossmember. Controls axlewrap very well dosnt limit flex much.

Last edited by cumminstech_1; 04-16-2012 at 04:05 PM.
cumminstech_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
Good riddance.

Traction bars are a waste in a Super Duty. Longer rear leaf springs are the ticket for reducing axle wrap which is what Ford did for 2008 and later. 2011 and later SDs have even thicker leafs for combating axle wrap. I would swap in those before I ever tried some hokey assed traction bar.
Completely disagree, any high powered super duty is going to have wheel hop. The 6.7 scorpion just doesn't make enough power yet to need them, but they will eventually. Also, deleted and spartaned 6.4 rigs use t-bars, and the pre 08's need them badly.

On a non-tow rig... just get Cal-tracs.... not good for a tow rig though.

Here is my traction bars on my tow rig.... this is really the ideal way to do it, nothing "hokey" about it. 2points at the axle and a shackle is stupid on a tow rig.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 04-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 45530
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2 View Post
The 6.7 scorpion just doesn't make enough power yet to need them, but they will eventually.
400HP and 800 ft. lbs of torque isn't enough power to cause wheelhop? are you serious? It's a suspension issue. Trucks with far less torque make wheelhop with weak suspensions.

Last edited by Panthers65; 04-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.