air tank rear bumper - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25089
air tank rear bumper

Hey guys, I have a piece of 4x6" .25 wall tube/pipe/god only knows what, I was given. I am looking at building it as a rear bumper and making it an air tank. What are the legalities and realities of this? I mean could I get into and accident and have the thing explode? hit it on a rock hard and have it explode. Its going to be going on a 97 F350 4x4 CCLB. Thanks.
Monty

Last edited by Montymbad; 05-18-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Montymbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Big ass tube bumpers are gay

Air tank bumpers are dangerous

Just because you can weld it air tight doesn't mean you should

If you don't know what it is, you shouldn't even consider pressurizing it

What else do you wanna know?
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Last edited by redpitbull44; 05-19-2012 at 12:13 AM.
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 120446
I would never even consider having a pressurized tank anywhere that it could get hit on the road. Not to say that I wouldn't do what your doing though. I would just make sure that if I took my vehicle on the road with that, it would be depressurized. Now having a tank under/in your rig is different. That is much harder to damage.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 177573
Unless you're certified to weld boilers, I wouldn't suggest it. If you're dead set on using it, cut it in half, take both pieces to a boiler shop and have them cap both tanks and weld bungs in for air lines. 120psi makes a gawdamn big boom, so better safe than sorry. Mount them in the bed with a jumper hose from one tank to another. Or you can save about a hundered dollars and buy one of these from any tractor-trailer shop for about $75.
My build: /forum/ford/991042-rockstar-ranger-build.html
5BrothersFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 188740
Or an aluminum 200 psi...........

http://shop.air-zenith.com/blackaluminumairtank.aspx
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 210335
In the FWIW category, for air tanks, there is a difference between rupture and explosion. A pinhole can lead to a rupture and tearing of a tank. Think spray can shot with a BB. A 1/4" tube of unknown quality and uncertified welding skills pressurized to 120 psi can lead to a grenade explosion.

Using my bead blaster always makes me edgy for this reason.

I use tube for bumpers, what I do is cut notches for the frame rails and slide it over. On yours save the cut outs because you have to cut the tops so it can slide over the frame and weld the cut offs over the space to give you an inside height/space of 6".

Last edited by 4x4prepper; 05-19-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
4x4prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
55 in a 75

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BrothersFabrication:14379778
Or you can save about a hundered dollars and buy one of these from any tractor-trailer shop for about $75.
This is what I would suggest. It's cheap, and can be bolted to the side of the frame where it's more protected.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25089
Thanks for the input guys.....I was thinking it might not be the best idea to run as a tank but wanted reassurance. Anyone ever use a propane tank for an air tank. One of the Heavy duty mechanics up here runs a 300L automotive propane tank for a compressor tank. He has a york compressor under the hood, claims the tank is rated for 312PSI, and designed to split open in an accident (the big seam down the tank). Instead of exploding. Personally I think I will just pop up to the heavy duty wreckers and see what they have for tanks from semi's. Got lots of room up by the frame on my beast. THanks.

Monty
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 177573
Make sure it's <10 years old. Alot of drivers are too dumb to drain the water out of them. Any more and you risk rusty pinholes that will always leave you stranded.
My build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991042
5BrothersFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25089
so get this, I started to cut the tubing down today....it was welded solid and air tight, got it open and the air started to leak out of it....being in the sun pressurized the thing....defiently NOT gonna weld it up air tight again lol. That and the guy who gave it to me was wrong its 3/8" not 1/4" wall.
Monty
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 210335
> Fort St. James BC

Since you live there and your truck is probably 65/35 weight ratio, for winter what I have seen people do is make it water tight. Then when winter rolls around, they fill it with sand or a sand/water slurry to add weight in the back without using blocks or bags of sand. 3/8 wall would hold up fine as long as it was attached to both the sides and flange of the frame.

Once winter is over they stick a garden hose in the top, undo the bottom cap, and flush it out.

On a short vehicleit can make it squirrel, but, usually not a problem on a long bed or DRW full sized truck or van.

With a 3/8" tube I would weld a 1/4" plate (after I drilled it and the bumper) and install a pintle or lunette (gives 1/2" thickness) for yanking. I like to have a winch in the beds of my trucks, so, a good pintle (not a ball combo) gives an attachment point if you run a block to a tree behind the truck for a backwards pull. Even a cheap $100 5k marine winch from NT can give you a surprising amount of pulling power that way in a mild stuck.

Or you can charge to yank people from snow banks in winter (I always did it for free). I love tube bumpers.
4x4prepper is offline   Reply With Quote