Shackle flip the rear springs on a superduty? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 33315
Shackle flip the rear springs on a superduty?

My daily driver is an swb 4 door 04 f350. Rides like shit. It actually rides a little better than stock since it has been lifted 4".

I am wanting to swap in a 05+ coil front end so I can have the 35 spline outters, little bigger brakes and better turning radius. I am also hoping for much better ride. I have rode in a few newer trucks and they ride a good bit better than mine.

Anyway, the rear of my truck has blocks. Never had a problem with them but I have also never been a fan of them either.

I am wondering if it would be acceptable to ditch the blocks in favor of a shackle flip in the rear. If I understand right this will soften the ride but also reduce the load capacity a little bit, but I could use air bags to make up for that when I need to tow. Empty, it really shouldn't matter.

Does this sound like a feasible idea, or is this thing gonna blow up and kill a bus full of nuns taking handicap kids to church?

It seems like on all the diesel forums, everybody has 3' of stacked blocks or heavily arched springs. I am trying to stay outta big gay truck land.

Old picture of what I have. Its got 37" toyos now.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
bf
Granite Guru

Member # 131367
truck should be fine with a shackle flip and towing. skys offroad design makes one specific for your truck. call and ask them.

four_by_nut
I have learned through my years of wheeling that axles are like family heirlooms. Good ones seem to stick around forever and sometimes get handed down generation to generation!
bf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 169917
I have the same truck and it rode so rough, it was more like a stagecoach than a truck.

My solution was pretty simple. I just removed the overload springs that are mounted above the axle. It takes ~5 minutes to pull both sides off with an impact. There are some alignment tabs that you'll have to trim, or put a spacer in place of to get the u-bolt plate to go back in place and sit flush. You'll see what I'm talking about when you look at it.

I've thought about air bags, but just to keep things simple I just reinstall my overloads if I'm going to load the truck heavy, or tow my big trailer.
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
I'm interested in this too. I'd like to get rid of my blocks. But the sky hangers sound like they throw the pinion angle way out of whack.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 231862
I just made a mini pack to replace the factory overload on the rear of my 04 f-250 cc, used the leaves from a Zone leveling kit that I removed from the front, I went to a 4.5" hanger kit in the front and this minipack and an f350 rear block rides level and flexes better. than the factory setup. with a shackle flip and no block it would work well, but bumpstops would need to be fabbed.
402xjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33315
I think I will give the sky bracket a try. I think I will also yank out the bottom overload leaf. I can add helper bags later if I need to increase my load capacity.

As far as pinion angle, That can be shimmed or using a longer or shorter shackle to correct the angle.

As far as bump stops go, that is an easy fix.

I keep changing my mind on what to do about the front end. I know there are much better leafs than the superlift springs I have now. It would be easier to just swap to better leafs, but I still think (maybe I am wrong here) that the coil front end would still be better.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 231862
A hanger kit and stock springs works well, it gives more travel than stock and rides better, good shocks help too. I had procomps on my other sd, and managed a 4x4 store that sold/ installed almost everybrand except DR/Icon, and found that shocks make more difference than spring brand, make sure not to torque the spring bolts until the truck is sitting on the ground so that you do not bind them up.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 33315
I gave my stock front springs to a neighbor who had saggy springs on his excursion. I have billstien 5100 for shocks.

Maybe it was my imagination but I thought it rode better with the lift springs than it did stock.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 231862
It does, but stock springs on a hanger kit do not bottom out all the time, they have more compression travel, and when you use better shocks like 5100s the truck will ride really well. My first 04 I bought new in january of 04, while I managed a 4x4 store in PHX, we used it for a couple of magazine write ups, including pro comp4" lift in OFFROAD at the time, I sold superlift, skyjacker, fabtech, among others for 99-04 sds and got to drive thhem all. on my current 04 I just put on the 4.5" hanger with 5100s on both mine and a buddy's 02, and they ride better than any of the spring replacement style kits that I have had/installed. Excursions all have saggy springs, they were built that way to ride lower than a SD. their springs are softer than superdutys, but they ride worse over anything but the smallest bumps because they have almost no travel.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 33315
Very interesting. Hanger kits are a good bit cheaper than springs. Shouldn't be hard or expensive to find a decent set of stock springs either.

From your experience, will this ride as good as an 05+ truck?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
I've been doing '05 up swaps on OBS and 99-04 SD since '08...unless you use a 4 link kit on a '05 up suspension a correctly done SD sprung truck will ride better. The Ford radius arms just bind up if one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn't.

I'd just use a quality Hanger kit, correct shocks etc..I wouldn't use a rear shackle flip.

Or use '08 up axles and a 4 link kit..
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 33315
Arrggg. I really don't wanna get carried away with this thing.
I was kicking around making radius arms instead of using the stock ones. I have seen a few 4 linked trucks around, but they are lifted into BGTL. Guess I could do my own 4 link if needed too. All doable but if leafs are just as effective...

Caryt, what's your idea of a proper spring set up? You mentioned hangers, what about springs? Stock or aftermarket? If I need to start looking for stock springs, what "code" should they be? Any one stock spring better than the other?

My only other real issue with keeping leafs in the front is that it seems to have more of a turning radius than the coil trucks.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
I'll send a PM
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 231862
CARYT knows his Superduties, I like the leaf sprung trucks better, I really do not 0have a good reason to, they are just "truckier" I like leaf sprung jeeps better too. Superduties already come with all of the stuff that we add to other trucks/4x4s, like spring over, shackle reversal, crosover steering, so when you dial them in they work great. 05 up sds have some better stuff like brakes, wheel bearings, 35spl stubs, better steering box/turning radius. but the 99-04s with 60 fronts are good too.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 183804
Cary there is who I recommended in PM
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 33315
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
Cary there is who I recommended in PM
I sent him my email so I can pick his brain. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Demon4x4 Member

Member # 6305
Send a message via AIM to Demon4x4
Why not do it here in public for all to see?
Demon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.