Testing 7.3 Powerstroke fuel pump? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4176
Testing 7.3 Powerstroke fuel pump?

If I open up the drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl and cycle the key on, should fuel squirt out the drain tube? Ive thought I had heard this is a test for the fuel pump. Getting a no start issue on my 99 Super Duty and I think its a fuel issue. Pump hums for 30 seconds or so when you turn on the key, but may not be delivering fuel or the pickup in the tank is clogged.
StoopidMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
party wagon

Member # 202878
arent the in-tank pickup lines known to crack and cause a no fuel issue?

since the pump pressurizes the fuel bowl to 50-60 psi. yes, you should get a healthy stream of fuel out of the fuel bowl drain line.

there are other ways of checking but thats the question you prompted, so i answered

and just because... have you checked the CPS

DC METALWERX
FordX4-offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordX4-offroad View Post
arent the in-tank pickup lines known to crack and cause a no fuel issue?

since the pump pressurizes the fuel bowl to 50-60 psi. yes, you should get a healthy stream of fuel out of the fuel bowl drain line.

there are other ways of checking but thats the question you prompted, so i answered

and just because... have you checked the CPS
Thanks for the direct reply What other ways are there of testing? I believe I can get all the fuel out of the bowl and see if it still fills it up.

Tachometer moves when the engine is cranking. Everyone says it shouldnt move at all if its a CPS failure.

Went out to start my truck this morning and get it warmed up. Forgot to plug it in last night so it was idling rough for about 30 seconds. Then it started to act like it was running out of fuel and died. Cant get it to restart. When I crank it it catches slightly and sounds like it wants to start.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 157897
when you open the pet-cock fuel should flow till it empties the bowl.........when you turn the key on it should try to fill it back up......take the lid off and see what you have in there..........if there is no fuel then you need to trace it back and find out why the pump is not filling the bowl up
allornothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 208080
how much fuel is in your tank? if its 1/4 or lower, you may have broken fuel pick up, this happen to mine, not hard to fix, drop the tank or take the bed off, either way is easy. goolge search "hutch mod" i did this also, it came highly recommended, any other questions just ask, it recent months i have done a lot of fuel system research on my truck so i may be able to help.
edit: i did remove the stock in tank filters also, there are prone to be clogged on high mileage trucks, i believe its described in the page i mentioned earlier, if not i will explain.

Last edited by Old Bird; 01-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 168108
Is your hpop resi draining back? Next time it starts then stalls pull the plug on the hpop resi and look in. If its empty add about 1.5qts to it then put the plug back in and it should start. It's sounds like a lpop problem as I'm helping a friend with a simular problem.

You should be able to key on and hear the pump (drivers framerail right below the drivers door) run for about 15seconds or so. Some of them are quiet.

Last edited by dieselboy740; 01-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
OSR junky

Member # 183804
chances your fuel is gelled? I would put that thing in a heated garage for several hours and plug it in before I started all this. The fuel pump on the SD is possibly the best designed and most robust part on the entire truck. I am not saying they do not fail, it is just VERY uncommon.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 157045
Check fuel pressure using the shrader valve and a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 169917
Check the oil level.

You have no idea how many 7.3's I've 'fixed' because they were low on oil. They all had the same symptoms you just described.

Also, if you open the drain on the fuel bowl housing be sure someone has an o-ring kit in stock locally. If it hasn't been opened in a while it will more than likely leak after you touch it. It's also common to find something plugging the metal drain line that runs from the fuel bowl valve down the front of the passenger front of the block. Bugs love to make nests in there.

Last edited by Outlaw1; 01-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 169917
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
The fuel pump on the SD is possibly the best designed and most robust part on the entire truck. I am not saying they do not fail, it is just VERY uncommon.
Guess it depends on where you live. The Super Duty electric fuel pump is the MOST replaced part around here. It's more common than a bad CPS. I keep a spare fuel pump and CPS behind my back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Check fuel pressure using the shrader valve and a fuel pressure gauge?
There isn't a schrader valve on a 7.3.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 157045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
There isn't a schrader valve on a 7.3.

There is on my 95. Search around, there's lots of posts on the ford forums showing exactly how to test fuel pressure.

Here's one example -> 7.3 PSD Fuel Bowl Test Ports - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 169917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
There is on my 95. Search around, there's lots of posts on the ford forums showing exactly how to test fuel pressure.
A '95 has a completely different fuel system, from the tank to the fuel bowl. The Super Duty 7.3 trucks have test ports, but no schrader valve, unless you pull the test port plugs and add your own.

If I need to check the fuel pressure on a Super Duty I use an adapter on the quick connectors on the fuel line.

In the initial post he said he could hear the pump running, so more than likely it's not a fuel delivery problem. I've never seen a bad pump that would still run, but it is possible.

To see if the pickup is bad, just add 5 gallons of diesel. Typically it will suck at at under a 1/4 tank if the mixer has fallen off.

Last edited by Outlaw1; 01-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4176
I think it might of been geled fuel or something frozen. I added a few gallons of diesel and some Diesel 911. Also replaced my fuel filter. Started hard and acted like it ran out of fuel with air in the system but eventually cleared up.