91 trail Ranger build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
91 trail Ranger build

Well I have been a lurker forever on here and I was going to make a build thread later down the road but decided to just throw one up here tonight.

As the truck sits its a 91 with a 4.0l, m50d, 1350 doubler into 1354e case. 31 spline explorer axle with a detroit and a hp dana 44 with chromos and a yukon grizzly. Both axles have 4.56 gears and rolls on 37s.

I used James Duff early bronco radius arms, coils, buckets and trac bar bracket. Stupid easy SAS. The steering is all 1.5 DOM made from ruff stuff heavy duty parts.

I took the bed off and built a tube bed and installed a 22 gal fuel cell. The skins are just plastic for circle track cars.

The whole intention of my build has always been to drive to the trail/camping area/badass remote areas etc. and drive home. No tow rig for me.

Here are a bunch of random pics as the rig sits now. I wont post a bunch of old pics of the SAS and build up, if you want to see more I can direct you to them.

Now the next phase of my build. I am swapping in a 351w efi from a 89 Bronco. I am rebuilt the whole thing; dome pistons, xtreme 4x4 cam, roller tip rockers, lightning lower intake, expo. gt40 upper, high vol oil pump, ported heads etc. I am also converting from speed density to a maf setup using 93 mustang parts.
I have a rebuilt C4 I got from a member on here full of goodies, full manual reverse pattern, and a TCI torque converter.

For transfer cases I am using a Behemoth drive train strong box, and a flipped dana 300 with a lot of behemoth parts. (should be getting this any day now) and triple cable shifters. I am going to upgrade the rear output for sure, and potentially the front (is this a necessity or can i get away with the stock front?)

Anyway that is where I am at right now. I know, no tech, but deal with it. Plans after the engine swap is work on a rear axle, leaning toward a 9 inch, and potentially links. Comments, questions and concerns will be appreciated.
grunizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Subscribed! Buddy blew both front and rear outputs out of a Dana 300 with a 351 in a Toyota at the same time.

Last edited by RANGERROD; 01-19-2014 at 09:41 PM.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Subscribed! Buddy blew both front and rear outputs out of a Dana 300 with a 351 in a Toyota at the same time.
Yeah I think I'm going to just upgrade both while I have it all out and be done with it and pray for the best.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 165992
id be interested in your sas build stuff.
Laybaks402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laybaks402 View Post
id be interested in your sas build stuff.
I was deployed in Afghanistan when I bought everything so I went for the quickest way to SAS my rig. Duff definitely made that possible. If I were to do it again without the time constraints I had, I would forgo using their trac bar mount and make one from ruffstuff work.

I used these parts from duff:

Ranger SAS trac bar bracket: 5410
78-79 bronco radius arm kit: 5351
Ranger SAS coil buckets: 5261B
EB 5.5 lift springs: 5109
HD lower coil retainer: 5120

The reason I don't care so much for their trac bar bracket is because you are locked into the how far forward you can push the axle. And the trac bar runs in the middle of the engine x-member so depending on lift and articulation you could have clearance problems. But otherwise everything is literally drill holes and bolt in. The upper coil buckets are pretty neat because they compensate for the hump on the driver frame rail and space out the coils about 1/2''. I drilled new holes on the lower coil retainers inboard 3/4'' so I can run a full width axle and not have extreme coil bow. You will have to address your stock tranny x-member because the radius arm mounts want to live where it mounts. I had to make a new one anyway because of the doubler.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 115835
Subbed to see how the 351 turns out.
damarble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 165992
just picked up a 79 f150 d44. hopefully with tax money i can scoop up the duff sas parts and get started again on my ranger
Laybaks402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Moved into a new house finally, got the garage almost dialed in, just have to move the compressor. Planning to pull the 4.0 and old tranny/doubler next weekend
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
jtr
Rock God

Member # 41068
A Ford np-205 would be a better choice for a case. Also, Ford factory oil pumps are overbuilt from what I've read. A high volume might do more harm than good....so I've been told. My stock Ford oil pump has been working good on my 10.5:1 393W for years. I'm not a professional engine builder or a guy that builds engines for a living just what I remember when I built my engine.
jtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr View Post
A Ford np-205 would be a better choice for a case. Also, Ford factory oil pumps are overbuilt from what I've read. A high volume might do more harm than good....so I've been told. My stock Ford oil pump has been working good on my 10.5:1 393W for years. I'm not a professional engine builder or a guy that builds engines for a living just what I remember when I built my engine.
Yeah there are stronger cases out there, but I had the 300 so I decided to work with it. At least it's small and light weight. I have heard 2 different things about the oil pumps. Some say stay with stock, others swear to upgrade. This is the first engine I built and decided to go with an upgraded pump based off the advice a friend gave me. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the end.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
day 1

engine swap day 1 - YouTube time lapse of the day
Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 125974
Sweet rig man. Really like how you did the bed. Just might gave to borrow that idea someday
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 125974
O and what part of Washington you live in. I noticed your license plate
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH View Post
Sweet rig man. Really like how you did the bed. Just might gave to borrow that idea someday
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH View Post
O and what part of Washington you live in. I noticed your license plate
Thanks man, the bed is pretty simple. I used circle track plastic for the sides.

I grew up in the outskirts of Vancouver around Battleground, But I live in New Mexico right now due to the Air Force; I just keep it registered in WA.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342

Long day short, I got the old engine, t cases, tranny out, and the 351 mocked in. I am experimenting with my engine mounts trying to figure out how I want to do them. We fabbed up some solid mounts that will bolt to the cross member. Got the engine to sit nice and far back and low. Any thoughts and opinions about solid mounting the motor?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
another time lapse I put together if anyone is interested

engine swap day 2 - YouTube
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
the front inners and core would be in the backyard and now is the time for a sensible k member installation. that ttb shit needs to go.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how ya like me now??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
^^^^couldnt agree more I wish I had done that while my motor was out. I'm actually going to make that my weekend project while my front axle is out.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
the front inners and core would be in the backyard and now is the time for a sensible k member installation. that ttb shit needs to go.
Quote:
^^^^couldnt agree more I wish I had done that while my motor was out. I'm actually going to make that my weekend project while my front axle is out.
Inners and core are staying. I have been debating making a tubular crossmember, but currently it isn't really in the way of anything, I might just trim the edges of it. When I had the block temped in there i had it sitting pretty low and far back. How would you guys build a different one and to what advantages?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
You need one because when that 351 puts the smack down on the 44 youll have to wedge a 60 up front like me!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...er-delete.html
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
You need one because when that 351 puts the smack down on the 44 youll have to wedge a 60 up front like me!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...er-delete.html
Thats a pretty sweet setup and looks nice and simple to build, thanks for the link. Right now I am just focusing on making this thing go vroom vroom.

Oh and Ive been scouring the depths of craigslist for a while now searching for front axles lol. Going for a rear 9 inch also

Last edited by grunizzle; 02-25-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
i dont mean permanently pop the core off.....just for musical engines and k member modifications and shit....crawling around side to side making mounts and off setting the whole powertrain to fit it all up where your happiest... is easier with it gone.

when i was younger and before my back was completely destroyed i could get away with that ninja contortionist shit your doing....now....not so much.

all in all moving the powertrain in and out for trimming and plating the k member or whatever you want is much easier....shit ton of ways to do it. just do it.

the 351 probably gonna be a d44 killer, but you obviously know how to drive so i wont bet against making it work long term at this point till you get down the road a ways....

solid rig, i think your gonna be happy with it. i know i would be.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
i dont mean permanently pop the core off.....just for musical engines and k member modifications and shit....crawling around side to side making mounts and off setting the whole powertrain to fit it all up where your happiest... is easier with it gone.

when i was younger and before my back was completely destroyed i could get away with that ninja contortionist shit your doing....now....not so much.

all in all moving the powertrain in and out for trimming and plating the k member or whatever you want is much easier....shit ton of ways to do it. just do it.

the 351 probably gonna be a d44 killer, but you obviously know how to drive so i wont bet against making it work long term at this point till you get down the road a ways....

solid rig, i think your gonna be happy with it. i know i would be.
Yeah it definitely would be easier with all the extra metal out of the way. I wish it was bolted on and not spot welded or it would have been. Thanks for the compliments, I hope I can handle the new power haha. I just need the 44 to last me another year while I get something new built up.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 87708
Good looking build so far man! Time lapse is pretty damn cool to watch!
charliesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesnyder View Post
Good looking build so far man! Time lapse is pretty damn cool to watch!
Thanks man I'm glad someone other than enjoys them. I think next time I am going to mount the camera on the windshield facing into the engine bay.

Parts started showing up today. Wiring harness, bling bling doubler, and some of the shifter parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.