Mustang 5.0 to C6 motor plate question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19709
Mustang 5.0 to C6 motor plate question

I'm mating a 302 from a 92 5.0 with a C6 out of an early Bronco. Now, my question is do I need one of these:

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/14/30725

it seems like i would, but honestly unless they're called something other then "motor plates" i cant find anything else about them really on the net.. and i thought that was really strange if this part does indeed need to be installed... anyways... if anyone knows what the deal is with one a these things id greatly appreciate some info... and if i do infact need one, where exactly does it go?

Thanks
Shane
RidiculousYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1565
What your looking for is called a 'flexplate'. Your not using a C6 from an 'early Bronco'. C6's in Bronco's started in 78. Early Bronco's were only in production from 1966-77 and only use a C4 for an auto.

With all that being cleared up you need to check around and find out what early 90's F250 used a 5.0L and a C6. I forgot the year but you can find out. It's a direct bolt up to the 5.0L crank and the C6 torque converter. I got mine new at a local transmission shop for $65.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11497
I don't think he is talking about the flex plate. The only difference between the plate on an auto and the plate on a manual, is the auto has the bottom part missing, or it has an inspection plate. These allow you to get to the torque converter bolts. The manual plate doesn't allow you to get to these bolts. I gues you could take a manual one and cut the bottom where it would come off seperate from the top.

[URL=www.4x4support.com]4X4Support[/URL]
SittonHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19709
yeah, sorry about that.. i fuked up in my msg.. i meant an early 80's fullsize bronco.. and im not talking about the flexplate.. ive already got that on... what im talking about is the motor plate (click on the link in my original msg to see a pic).
Sitton High, so where does this thing go? does it bolt behind the flexplate? I think im just going to order the one from BroncoGraveyard and get the auto inspection cover also (i dont have that either)

Thanks for the help
RidiculousYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11497
Yes, it goes behind the flexplate.

[URL=www.4x4support.com]4X4Support[/URL]
SittonHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 22584
that plate is what lines up the starter. The bolt holes in the starter are larger than the bolts that bolt on the starter, but it has a flange that is machined on the end of the nose that is a close tolerance fit to the hole in the plate. There are two starter placements for the 5.0, they are dictated by the diameter of your flywheel (flexplate) and you just need to make sure the plate you use lines up with the holes in the bell housing, and the flywheel you use is the right diameter for the bellhousing.
juxtoposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1565
Quote:
Originally posted by juxtoposed
that plate is what lines up the starter. The bolt holes in the starter are larger than the bolts that bolt on the starter, but it has a flange that is machined on the end of the nose that is a close tolerance fit to the hole in the plate. There are two starter placements for the 5.0, they are dictated by the diameter of your flywheel (flexplate) and you just need to make sure the plate you use lines up with the holes in the bell housing, and the flywheel you use is the right diameter for the bellhousing.
This is good swap info, thanks.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18899
C-6 was also used widely behind 289/302/351W in vans. Can esily be retro for the rear extension housing to fit 4x4 app.