turbocharging 2Lor2.3 with a carb - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21660
turbocharging 2Lor2.3 with a carb

can anyone direct me to a site that has some info on how to set up a 4cyl that is carbed to a turbo set up i know that esslinger eng. has alot of the parts to do this but i need thing like proper jetting and timing. i figure i could use a weber sidedraft carb and other parts for turboing a bug. i figure the carb would work great off road because they are used on offroad buggies. i also know the draw backs with heat and everything but that really wouldnt matter in my planned uses
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15587
well as far as heat goes you can run an svo inter cooler..There alot of svo type intercoolers out there that can be adapted.There alot of guys at www.dune-buggy.com That run turbo buggies..i'm sure you will find the awnser there..If you have not yet found a motor or just starting out a t-bird or svo is a great starting point with fuel injection and the wiring is not much at all..I see lots of guys running down draft holleys with the 2.3 and 2.0 ford motors or fuel injection..I don't think I can remember ever seeing one that was turco with a side draft..anyway..good luck..
Old 10-02-2003, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21660
intercooler is no prob. can get one off a wrecked turbo car like a eclipse or talon. i can get different plenums to mount a holley or a weber carb to a turbo but i think the weber will be alot more off road friendly because they really dont have the problem with fuel slosh like holleys do. and well the motor im running is a 2.0 pinto so its carbed and i dont really want to mess with FI. thanks for the reply gonna check that site
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13376
Carbed turbo car is asking for trouble. You will blow up your motor, not maybe, definately. Very difficult to control the boost and usually lots of lag, and poor off idle. All of that being said if you want to read about it get a book calle Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and another one called Turbochargers by Hugh McInnis.

I caught teh turbo bug with my '72 240z. Turboed it with a side draft 44 weber and a huge rayjay turbo. It was what was called a wet system. Carb into turbo into engine. Had set it up for timing retard water/alc injection, reduced the compression etc etc etc. Eventually made one too many hot passes and left most of the rings in the bottom of the pan. It's a blast but tough to do right reliably. Too do it right the money you would spend, you are WAY better off with an efi turbo set-up. On the second go round with my Z i put a turboed 280zx motor in and custom efi/ignition from electromotive. Intercooled too! Very cool set-up.

Anyway too each his own, lots of info out there. Good luck!
1979 F350 4x4
kirshbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
I have a HOT ROD mag from a few months ago where they did a test.

Centrifugal vs. Roots type vs. turbo

All using a carb. what they did was enclosed in a pressure box (i.e. a sealed box enclosing the carb, and no, that isn't the technical name). anyways, essentially what it did was made the CFM of the carb 2x as much.

I'll bust the article out in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley21 View Post
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote