questions about a 68 ford bronco? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2003, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15545
questions about a 68 ford bronco?

What axles came with it and tranny and tcase? It has a 302 i know that for sure.

Looking at maybe getting one found one that has never been touched!

What does it take to fit 33s?

Where is the best place to get parts?

thanks for any help!

r4x4bus
Old 12-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22955
Get yourself a set of flexible fender flares and trim and you will be able to get your 33s under there. the rear fenders will need a lot of cutting as i'm sure you know. i'm not sure of the best place for parts but try broncograveyard.com. i'm no EB expert at all but wasn't the 289 the V8 available from 66-68? i don't think the 302 came in till 69. for axles it will have dana 30 front/9" rear. stick or auto, 1 or 2 spd case?
FordCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17950
It'll likely have a 289, 3 spd manual, dana 30 front, 28 spline 9" rear and a dana 20 x-case. I believe the case has 2.48 :1 low range. The 3 spd is something like 3 : 1, and the axle gears are likely 3:50 to 1.

Of course, a 68 has probably been subjected to years of bastardiation, so double check everything.

I've had good luck with Wild Horses, James Duff, and BC Bronco's for parts. Always check to see if there's an easier conversion out there though (i.e. it's much cheaper to do a power steering conversion than to find a factory bronco power steering box).
Old 12-28-2003, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17950
oh yeah,
I'd suggest about 3.5" lift for the 33's
Old 12-28-2003, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15545
Thanks for answering my questions the guy that has it told me its a 302 so ill have to wait and see when i pick it up next sat!

I have owned many jeeps,cj5,tj,cherokee etc but never a ford so im new to them!

Is there a big difference from the 289 and 302?

What would you guys change like i said it hasnt been touched except for maybe the motor?

Im not sure where to start.

Lastley should i change the axles,tranny,tcase or are they preety stout from the factory?

whats the best lift for the EB?

thanks
r4x4bus
Old 12-28-2003, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6708
if this is indeed a virgin rig, then unless it has rust around the rear wheel well, I would not cut it. bad Karma to cut virgin EB.

That aside, flare the rear and put 31" on it. then wheel the piss out of it 'till you know what you want to do with it. The front D-30 will hold up to 31" but don't count on it lasting for long with a V-8 and larger tires. R&P and the u-jounts tend to go 'boom'.

The tranny is stout but sucks 'cause it does not have a low first gear. go NP-435 or Auto for wheelin'. The front will need to be changed to a D-44. Rear is ok if Big Bearing, not likely but you never know unless you check it out. Small bearing will work for 31 splines shafts with special bearings. good flex for a stock rig for its day.

only a .13 stroke diffrence between a 289 and 302.

Eric

'Dear,dear.....what ever shall we do with mother.'-Lion in Winter.

"Mr. President, We must not allow, a mine shaft gap!"-Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
'Do you expect me to talk Goldfinger?' 'No Mr. Bond, I expect you to Die!'
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15545
thanks for the info keep it coming

Is there a real weak point or anything i should look for?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4176
Quote:
Originally posted by R4X4BUS
thanks for the info keep it coming

Is there a real weak point or anything i should look for?
There weak point is rust, the lack of Power steering until 73, and no disc brakes until 76. But all that can be fixed with $$$. I currently have the front end portion of a wildhorses lift on Ebay right now if you are intrested. Some consider there springs the best for an EB, depends on who you talk to.
StoopidMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17950
What do you intend on doing with this bronco? That will determine what the "best" suspension is for you.

Listen to what Eric has to say. He knows Ford's inside and out. As he mentioned, if it is a virgin, I would not hack that baby up. There are plenty of beaters out there to build into rock crawlers. Please don't repeat the Jesse James / Monster Garage kludge.

If you want to upgrage the rear, you can get big bearing housings reasonably cheap here
http://www.completeoffroad.com/produ...g_bearing.html
Most of the bronco shops carry 31 spline axles to go in it.

I've done the NP435 swap. It worked out well and gives you an awesome low range (6.69 : 1) They're not hard to find, t-case adapters are fairly reasonable as well.

You can learn a ton about bronco's by going through the web sites listed on the early bronco web ring
http://t.webring.com/hub?ring=bronco&list&page=0
Old 12-28-2003, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18252
Send a message via ICQ to Haz-matt Send a message via AIM to Haz-matt Send a message via Yahoo to Haz-matt
I'm running 33/9.50 BFG MT's on my virgin bronco. It rubbed a little on a dent but other than that, it works well. Sorry, but this is the best pic I have at the moment. It's not the cleanest in the world
Attached Images

Oh, and guns. The guns have an intrinsic desire to kill children. Especially the AK. Just LOOK at it.
Haz-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6708
Quote:
Originally posted by Haz-matt
I'm running 33/9.50 BFG MT's on my virgin bronco. It rubbed a little on a dent but other than that, it works well. Sorry, but this is the best pic I have at the moment. It's not the cleanest in the world

Lets see how those 33's look in the rear fender wells

Eric

'Dear,dear.....what ever shall we do with mother.'-Lion in Winter.

"Mr. President, We must not allow, a mine shaft gap!"-Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
'Do you expect me to talk Goldfinger?' 'No Mr. Bond, I expect you to Die!'
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18252
Send a message via ICQ to Haz-matt Send a message via AIM to Haz-matt Send a message via Yahoo to Haz-matt
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpo
Lets see how those 33's look in the rear fender wells
Eric
You asked for it This isn't it's good side, the other side has a little less damage towards the rear but it will give you an idea. I have no clearance issures, after it rubbed 3 or 4 times for a few seconds.

I took this picture from my bathroom window on the second floor though pouring rain so it's not the best.
Attached Images

Oh, and guns. The guns have an intrinsic desire to kill children. Especially the AK. Just LOOK at it.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 14354
I ran the same 33 x 9.50 BFG MT setup in Moab a couple of years back and it worked great. As you can see from Has-matt's picture, it's pretty tight at the front of the rear wheel opening. My '69 had a set of sagging National 3.5" 10-leaf packs and I wound up trimming that area for tire clearance. Then it worked perfectly. I got a lot of funny looks from people in Moab because it looked so stock. No one could see the NP435, Dana 44 with Detroit, 31 spline big bearing 9" with Detroit, and projection.

I also remember that the '69 was the first year of the 302. The '68 289 had higher compression though.
yellowbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 595
If it's uncut you can probably sell it for a decent profit and get one that is cut (depending on what you are paying). I would start with a power steering conversion, then a trany (NP435 or a ZF 5 speed). That should give you enough time to search out the good info on the rest of the stuff, lifts are a personal preference IMO between Duff, BCBroncos and Wildhorses. Check out www.broncofix.com for good info, there are also a ton of Email lists specific to the EB's that are great, I subscribe to two of them, the one of the B-fix site and on off of www.bronco.com.
HTH
Old 12-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15545
WOW thanks everyone for the input on the eb looks like i might have found a new home (LOL). I cant wait to get it sat!

Thanks again
r4x4bus
Old 12-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 14354
Once you've got the rig and decided what you want to do with it, check back with us because, like most of the guys on this board, I have a bunch of parts laying around that you might be interested in. For instance, I have those National 3.5" lift 10-leaf packs that I mentioned before along with the matching 3.5" lift WH coils, a set of 1/4" thick rock skis, and an aux fuel tank. This is all good-shape stuff I'm taking off to make way for airbags.

Tom
yellowbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 10714
Everything depends on your indended use and driving style. I'd swap to a EB Dana 44 and do a junkyard Chevy disc brake swap. Go to www.bronco.com and check out the Early Bronco Mailing List. There are a ton of vendors for these rigs, so you can pretty much do as much as your pocketbook will allow. Go all bolt on or start swapping to full size stuff if you have a lot of fabrication skills. No one mentioned it directly, but you can also swap in a 351/5.8 Windsor or an EFI 5.0 easily.
stocker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15545
Thanks for all the replys

I will have to wait another week to get it or so which sucks but with the bad weather snow and all i rather be safe then sorry rather than wreck it and my new dodge LOL

There is alot of info out there on these boy its going to be fun!!

Thanks
r4x4bus
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 15545
got it

Well i got my bronco got home 2.30 this am with it! It needs alittle more work than i thought but that ok!

Where is the best place to get parts for it like misc stuff?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18252
Depends on what you need. If you want to keep it stock, places like Jeff's Bronco graveyard and Tom's Bronco parts are some of the best places.

But you can find a lot of parts that will work on other fords are the era. Just have to be ready to red neck it.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 15545
Well far starters the rear quarters have no rust and are in good shape, but i will need to replace the front section of the floor boards since they have some rust, It also has a pass side door glass broke out so ill need to get one of those soon too.

I ran the vin # and it has 4.11s with a limited slip
built in lansing michigan in jan
original color is red, brown right now yuk!
It does have the original 289 with 3spd on floor now tho not the 302 like the guy said it had.

Overall its in good shape and i have a good foundation to build on now just need to start getting parts for it ie lift,ps,pdb etc, but i want to go out playing for awhile and make sure its what i want before i go and pay alot of money for the upgrades!

thanks for all the info

r4x4bus