Anyone have an NV4500? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13526
Anyone have an NV4500?

I have decided that since the EB is my daily driver that I am going to swap the NV4500 out of the CJ7, and put the NP435 into the Jeep.

Basic setup will be a 302-NV4500-D20 (or AtlasII) depending on how much everything is.

So, I need measurements for an EB with a 3.5-5.5" lift.

Need measurements on front and rear driveshafts as well as from bellhousing mount to output shaft of Tcase. And if anyone has pics of their tunnel cover I could see it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18283
Since you said that you swaping the tranny due to the aspects that make the 4500 a better option for a DD. Assuming this is your only vehicle other than the jeep so when you are doing this you will be w/o wheels until you have this fixed. my suggestion is to focus your efforts in pregathering info on the rear shaft length unless you need 4wd to get to work don't I wish I did

the length of your driveshafts will be dependant upon your choice of tcase & the adpaters required to fit them ifyou call advance apdapters they should be able to give you the overall length of the tcase/adpater/tranny/(adapter)/tcase combo assuming you are using the atlas tcase if you take this length and compare it with your current overall length. based on these numbers you should be able to determine for your vehicle how much you need to lengthen/shorten the driveshaft for the rear. or the length you need to have a new shaft made. once you get the vehicle driveable then you can deal with the front shaft length

just my 2
Old 01-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13526
Well, I have a 99 F350 that I can drive in the meantime. The reason I am asking for measurements is so I can make sure everything is ready to go before I pull the NP out of the Bronco. The install of my NV into the Jeep took about three weeks due to needing to take measurements once it was in, and needing to fab my own crossmember. Then I need to get the driveshaft measurements and have them built.

I figured that most EBs are relatively setup the same (unlike most built Jeeps), and that someone out there could get me or would remember their driveshaft lengths and such. I've thought about a ZF as well, but since I already have the NV4500, it makes sense to use it. Since I'll be using the same bellhousing that the NP attaches to, I can keep the current clutch linkage saving a word of hurt with the ZF. I could also use either a HD NP231, the Atlas, or keep my D20. If I keep the D20, I have to adapt it. If I go with the others they simply bolt to the NV4500.

I should be able to finish this swap in a weekend or at least one long day. Fabbing the crossmember support is the toughest part. As long as the NV and Tcase go in as a unit, then it shouldn't take long to complete it.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21881
I have a 302 and NV4500, I got a cross memeber for advance adapters which bolted right up to the existing spots. With the 31/2" lift I didn't need to modify my rear dirveline, but I had to lengthen the front a coupple of inches.

I am thinking about goin g with the Atlas II as well and was told that their is no moidifications needed.

Team Ram Rod - 91
KOH 2012
lil-bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13526
Did the NV replace a C4 or the stock three speed?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21881
It replaced the stock three speed.

Team Ram Rod - 91
KOH 2012
lil-bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13526
Quote:
Originally posted by lil-bronc
It replaced the stock three speed.
Cool, thanks! That is good news for sure.